Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
And the song was like 20 years old when it came out to the mainstream.
It was. I remember moving here to NC from Austin back in summer of 04 and I was telling people about Still Tippin and it finally came out on BET around late 04, and it's been out in TX since 03.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, he and Paul Wall has always been garbage. Mike Jones was always outshined by Magno and Paul Wall was always outshined by Chamillionaire. Neither are good lyricists to begin with and they both are very repetitive. That Still Tippin song was an embarrassment IMO. Itshowed that we was a gimmick.
An embarrassment?? The song was good for the time it was released. When you compare Paul Wall and Mike Jones to people like Soulja Boy or Shawty Lo. They are considered legends. People talk down too much on these rappers basing off the singles they put out. Paul Wall's latest CD was a big step up from his previous ones.

I'd take Mike Jones or Paul Wall over the majority of the rappers being released today.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:35 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Still Tippin was not a bad song at all. Just because a song isn't always K-Rino like doesn't mean it's a bad song. I don't think Paul Wall or Mike Jones are nearly as bad as people make them out to be. No they aren't legends by any means but they are still very listenable. Both of their mainstream debuts were good. I can think of a load of worse rappers.

I think it's a shame Magno never shined like Mike Jones did though. He held up his end on the 1st round draft picks album. That was a damn good album too.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Paul Wall is not as bad lyrically as people say. People over exaggerate how bad he is. But I agree Chamillionaire and Magno were always better then Mike Jones and Paul Wall. The BEST lyricist to come out of Houston are hands down Chamillonaire, Z-Ro, and Trae. Z-Ro is so nice on the mic. Why can't artist like Z-Ro and Trae take the lead in the Houston rap scene?
Nah.

K-Rino is the best, followed by Z-Ro, Scarface, and Trae. Can't forget Devin the Dude either.

And I agree with jluke. I'd take Houston's garbage rappers (Mike Jones and Paul Wall) over Atlanta (Shawty Lo/Soulja Boy) and Dallas' (GS Boys and Party Boys) garbage rappers anyday. At least we aren't making nonstop dance records.

Last edited by Trae713; 10-15-2009 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Still Tippin was not a bad song at all. Just because a song isn't always K-Rino like doesn't mean it's a bad song. I don't think Paul Wall or Mike Jones are nearly as bad as people make them out to be. No they aren't legends by any means but they are still very listenable. Both of their mainstream debuts were good. I can think of a load of worse rappers.

I think it's a shame Magno never shined like Mike Jones did though. He held up his end on the 1st round draft picks album. That was a damn good album too.
Agreed. I hardly ever hear people say Still Tippin was a bad song. Too many people continuously compare these dudes to people like 2pac and Scarface. They are above average compared to many of the recent people putting out music. Mike Jones was good before going mainstream; I don't care what anyone say. He still pretty good; however, he knows that to sell music he has to dumb it down. That even applies to Jay Z whose latest album was just alright.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Nah.

K-Rino is the best, followed by Z-Ro, Scarface, and Trae. Can't forget Devin the Dude either.
Devin the Dude and K-Rino are monsters

The only problem with K is sometime his beats sound like my 5 year old neice could have made them with her toy keyboard.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Yeah, K-Rino needs some better production. Some of his beats are cool, but others are just like...what? Though, when you listen to what he is saying in his songs, the beat grows on you. His track "Ain't it Funny" is a good example.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah, K-Rino needs some better production. Some of his beats are cool, but others are just like...what? Though, when you listen to what he is saying in his songs, the beat grows on you. His track "Ain't it Funny" is a good example.
Exactly that song is a good example. Another example is the song "What if".

K is one of my favorites. I'm ashamed that it took me as long to discover him as it did. I just wish he didn't put out albums so quickly. Last year he did the Triple Darkness Series in early 08 and The Blood Doctrine in November. They all just kind of run together and sometimes it makes it feel a little redundant because his style is pretty similar in all those albums.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:37 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
An embarrassment?? The song was good for the time it was released. When you compare Paul Wall and Mike Jones to people like Soulja Boy or Shawty Lo. They are considered legends. People talk down too much on these rappers basing off the singles they put out. Paul Wall's latest CD was a big step up from his previous ones.

I'd take Mike Jones or Paul Wall over the majority of the rappers being released today.
an embarrassment because it showed the rest of the nation how much of a gimmick those two are. I didn't mean the song was bad or anything. But those two were always gimmicks. I don't really like to compage garbage to garbage. If you're terrible, you're terrible. Doesn't matter if you're Shawty Lo, Mike Jones, Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, Paul Wall or Plies. There really isn't anything good I can say about Mike Jones or Paul Wall. They are the epitome of wackness.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
an embarrassment because it showed the rest of the nation how much of a gimmick those two are. I didn't mean the song was bad or anything. But those two were always gimmicks. I don't really like to compage garbage to garbage. If you're terrible, you're terrible. Doesn't matter if you're Shawty Lo, Mike Jones, Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, Paul Wall or Plies. There really isn't anything good I can say about Mike Jones or Paul Wall. They are the epitome of wackness.
What exactly makes them so terrible? I can admit Paul Wall's get money stay true album was awful and Mike Jones hasn't done much of anything as of late. But "Who is Mike Jones" and "The People's Champ" were both solid albums. Paul Wall had a bunch good songs with Chamillionaire back in the day. And as I mentioned previously "1st Round Draft Picks" was excellent. And before you say that's because Mag and Cham picked up the slack that is not true. Those albums would not have been what they were if it was just one of them.

I'm not saying they are great but they have certainly put out some stuff worth listening to in the past. Not every rapper has to try to be a scholar with his lyrics to put out a good album.

Both have put out quality stuff in the past. People like Plies and Soulja Boy haven't made one single song I have liked...EVER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City