Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 12:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
lol,Yeah thats right. I think Atlanta has picked up its fashion sense since the 90's and DC is east coast, so they abit more ahead. LA is the queen of styles and about ten years ahead, than Houston or Texas. Dallas is I think is standard. Make up and hair. Its trendy and up to date. Houston is more causal and less pretentious.
Atlanta isn't really more fashionable than neither. You try wearing that stuff you wear in those cities on the east in Houston, and you'll see why many people don't rock it. Houstonians can be fashionable whenever its necessary or when the climate is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Thats true, what do you see in Houston? I see in Houston, people are either behind or dont care t-shirt and jeans or alternative trendy. funky, off beat. In Dallas its was plain, but expensive plain, like Ann Taylor, Polo Ralph Lauren, JCrew, Hollister. Not funky off beat as much like Houston.Also in Houston you see hick attire, wrangler jeans and cowboy boots and hats too.
Every time I go out in Houston, people just seem to be comfortable with whatever they are wearing. Every time I go out in Dallas, people try to put on their best every where I go.

I too agree that the "cowboy boots and hats" crowd is more prevelant in Houston than it is in Dallas, but if we include Fort Worth with Dallas, then it is more prevelant in DFW overall.

For better or worse, Dallas is overall more fashionable and Houston is overall more laid back. Not saying that some people in Houston arent fashionable and some people in Dallas dress more laid back, but overall I do believe that is the case.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:56 PM

103 posts, read 314,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well...it depends on who youre talking. Not to make this a race thing, but a lot of blacks in Houston tend to be very trendy (as far as urban culture goes). It's mostly the rest of Houston that's real laid back. But down in Houston you have a lot of people who will spend their whole pay check on one outfit.

Hair also seems to be a big deal down there. I've seen some real nice weaves down in H-town lol. No, but seriously, when I moved down to SE Texas to go to school, I was impressed with how put together the black girls were. Since I had just left Central Texas where people actually are "underdressed" (people would come to school in pajama pants...country, I know)
Yes, the blacks in Houston say the blacks in Dallas are more counrty in their dress and talk. But people say Houston is not as groomy as Dallas.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:08 PM

103 posts, read 314,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Every time I go out in Houston, people just seem to be comfortable with whatever they are wearing. Every time I go out in Dallas, people try to put on their best every where I go.

I too agree that the "cowboy boots and hats" crowd is more prevelant in Houston than it is in Dallas, but if we include Fort Worth with Dallas, then it is more prevelant in DFW overall.

For better or worse, Dallas is overall more fashionable and Houston is overall more laid back. Not saying that some people in Houston arent fashionable and some people in Dallas dress more laid back, but overall I do believe that is the case.

Yeah thats right, the weather has alot of to do with it. In Dallas its a bit more season, maybe. Also its seem Dallas is more a test city and more wordly known than Houston. When you think of Texas: Dallas, San Antonio or Austin. Than Houston. But Houston is the 4th largest, but as a major city it lacks abit.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Lets not over exaggerate and make Dallas/Fort Worth out to be some racist town. That is far from the case. Do we like ignore Arlington, Irving, and Grand Prairie the areas right between Dallas & Fort Worth. Those areas are very diverse. Generally speaking yes the Northern Suburbs are majority white. The middle is suburbs are mixed. The southern surburbs are becoming overwhelming black. Hispanics are concentrating in the inner city and westward into Irvin. Its also a lye that DFW suburbs are ultra conservative. The middle and southern suburbs are more moderate and the northern suburbs are very conservative.

A "lye"? And isn't this a bit contradictory? You say it's a lie that the DFW suburbs are ultra conservative, but then say the northern suburbs are very conservative. Which one is it?

And where is "Irvin"?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Sterotypical

Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
A "lye"? And isn't this a bit contradictory? You say it's a lie that the DFW suburbs are ultra conservative, but then say the northern suburbs are very conservative. Which one is it?

And where is "Irvin"?
Left my "g" off Irving. I said the northern suburbs are conservative. The middle suburbs which include Arlington, Grand Prairie, and Irving are more moderate. I also stated that the southern suburbs are more moderate. LOL I notice you love challenging all my post and have something to say about all my post. Whats up with that? I live here I pretty much know the regions of DFW. I am entitled to my opinion. Here's a map. Maybe you can better understand where I am coming from.

http://www.nwetc.org/PICS/map_dfw_region.jpeg (broken link)

Directions to DFW Airport, Texas (http://nwetc.org/dir_dfw.htm - broken link)

Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Yeah thats right, the weather has alot of to do with it. In Dallas its a bit more season, maybe. Also its seem Dallas is more a test city and more wordly known than Houston. When you think of Texas: Dallas, San Antonio or Austin. Than Houston. But Houston is the 4th largest, but as a major city it lacks abit.
No.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:46 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Left my "g" off Irving. I said the northern suburbs are conservative. The middle suburbs which include Arlington, Grand Prairie, and Irving are more moderate. I also stated that the southern suburbs are more moderate. LOL I notice you love challenging all my post and have something to say about all my post. Whats up with that? I live here I pretty much know the regions of DFW. I am entitled to my opinion. Here's a map. Maybe you can better understand where I am coming from.

Directions to DFW Airport, Texas (http://nwetc.org/dir_dfw.htm - broken link)

Sorry, it's nothing personal, believe me. And you know you're not the only poster I've gone toe-to-toe with. That was the English Major/writer/grammar nazi in me that reared its head when I saw the misspellings. It happens *shrugs*

Old 10-19-2009, 01:47 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Whoever said something about how Dallas seems to be more segregated than Houston, do you think that it's because de Jure segregation and institutionalized racism had a more pervasive history than Houston? Or was it that the business oligarchy that ran Dallas for years had more of a stranglehold on the power structure in the city? Houston seems to be a lot more lassiez faire and "open" in it's history (not denying that the city had its share of racial problems). Do you think the de Facto segragation that seems more pervasive in Dallas have something to do with that? When I lived in Dallas, I chose to move to Richardson and Addison in order to be closer to my job and people I knew in the Southern suburbs acted as if I had a third eye (I'm black)
I really can't imagine why they would have acted that way, especially since Richardson borders the Lake Highlands area where there are plenty of blacks.

I'm black, and I'm looking into the NE Dallas area since it appears to be an easier commmute to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City