Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:40 PM

840 posts, read 2,093,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And the other ways would be W. Trade and N. Tryon. So I'm not sure how you can say that uptown is almost entirely surrounded by the hood.
IF you don't count Biddleville, Washington Heights, Double Oaks, and that Industrial Corridor up N. Tryon as hood or hood-"like" areas, than we have very different definitons.

Quote:
The current boundaries of the Elizabeth neighborhood are, roughly, Randolph Road/4th Street to the Southwest; Independence Boulevard to the West and North; and a creek to the East. Major avenues include Elizabeth Avenue and 7th Street.
This is what someone put on Wikipedia as the boundaries of Elizabeth, and thats what I always thought, but my mom who has lived in Charlotte since '86 says the same as you.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:14 AM

14 posts, read 46,206 times
This is funny all these people must live in Atlanta lol. I don't live in either, but I know the cities are compareable. Charlotte has a larger population in the city. Atlanta has a larger population in the metro. Charlotte is the banking capital of the south. The Nascar city, The 18 largest city in the us. ( Panthers, Knights, Bobcats, Carowinds, Some of the souths largest malls. Its like a new city. It doesn't have the same vibe as Atlanta. Atlanta proper is the 34 largest city in the us. with a huge metro Coco cola six flags, malls, braves, falcons, and hawks, but no where as near a new of a city as Charlotte. They both are cool tough. Charlotte doesn't have as many buildings as Atlanta, but the ones they have and they have a lot looks much better! both the cities are on the same page thats a fact this theard along proves that with all the different people opions, but they have very different vibes. I choose Charlotte with Atlanta a close second and that wont change. Charlotte wins my opionion.

Last edited by Charlotte rep; 12-08-2009 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: incorecct grammer

Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 AM

This is funny all these people must live in Atlanta lol. I don't live in either, but I know the cities are compareable. Charlotte has a larger population in the city. Atlanta has a larger population in the metro. Charlotte is the banking capital of the south. The Nascar city, The 18 largest city in the us. ( Panthers, Knights, Bobcats, Carowinds, Some of the souths largest malls. Its like a new city. It doesn't have the same vibe as Atlanta. Atlanta proper is the 34 largest city in the us. with a huge metro Coco cola six flags, malls, braves, falcons, and hawks, but no where as near a new of a city as Charlotte. They both are cool tough. Charlotte doesn't have as many buildings as Atlanta, but the ones they have and they have a lot looks much better! both the cities are on the same page thats a fact this theard along proves that with all the different people opions, but they have very different vibes. I choose Charlotte with Atlanta a close second and that wont change. Charlotte wins my opionion.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:29 AM

And yeah I put it twice! lol

Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,925,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
IF you don't count Biddleville, Washington Heights, Double Oaks, and that Industrial Corridor up N. Tryon as hood or hood-"like" areas, than we have very different definitons.
And when you throw in SouthEnd, Elizabeth, Central, Midtown (Charlottetown), etc., you only get about half the areas surrounding uptown as "hoodish."

Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 AM

631 posts, read 1,232,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte rep View Post
OK we heard you !!!!!! Next

Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,199,808 times
Wow. My first thought was Atlanta no contest, but after seeing the photos on the very first thread, I have to go with Charlotte. Beautiful skyline and the new skyscrapers are a great in Charlotte look amazing! It's also much less boxy than Atlanta's.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 AM

475 posts, read 688,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
When it comes to how surrounding towns and cities perceive mass transit, the situations in Charlotte and Atlanta are like night and day. That's probably partially due to the fact that race relations in Charlotte haven't and aren't quite as complex as they are in Atlanta.
This is great, although not in line with some of the things I've read regarding hesitancy of the part of out-of-Charlotte areas to adopt/support/agree to finance transportation into and out of the "city." I also feel you on TOD, but I don't think Charlotte is "ahead" in that area either. Perhaps Atlanta should have been on the bandwagon a long time ago, but both places tend to have the same momentum and progress in that area TODAY. Perhaps for its size, Charlotte got a jump start in planning... which is good.

A lot of people seem to think the "MARTA" situation locks mass transit into the city proper of Atlanta. While we all know MARTA could be more expansive and comprehensive, we shouldn't lose the fact that CCT (Cobb), GCT (Gwinnett), C-Tran (Clayton), and so on... all come into the city and connect to MARTA stations and lines. No, it's not all under the MARTA umbrella, but for what it's worth - it is all connected. Again, I agree the transit situation could be much better though. I'm just not sure transit between the two cities is a "night and day" comparison.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM

631 posts, read 1,232,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Wow. My first thought was Atlanta no contest, but after seeing the photos on the very first thread, I have to go with Charlotte. Beautiful skyline and the new skyscrapers are a great in Charlotte look amazing! It's also much less boxy than Atlanta's.

Atlanta skyline isnt Boxy lol I Prefer Atlanta over charlotte

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...untitled-1.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...downtown-1.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i..._20Skyline.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-06-2012 at 07:02 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,925,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
This is great, although not in line with some of the things I've read regarding hesitancy of the part of out-of-Charlotte areas to adopt/support/agree to finance transportation into and out of the "city." I also feel you on TOD, but I don't think Charlotte is "ahead" in that area either. Perhaps Atlanta should have been on the bandwagon a long time ago, but both places tend to have the same momentum and progress in that area TODAY. Perhaps for its size, Charlotte got a jump start in planning... which is good.
That last line sums it up rather well. I think Charlotte is doing TOD right from the jump. I don't think MARTA had the same effect, proportionally speaking, when it was first established.

As far as the surrounding towns are concerned, I'm not saying that everybody's willing to jump on board, no questions asked. Of course, funding will always be an issue. But what's not an issue is the suburban sentiment that all the Black folks in the ghetto will hop onto the trains, ride into the majority White suburbs, shoot up the place, and then get back on the trains.

Quote:
I'm just not sure transit between the two cities is a "night and day" comparison.
"Night and day" was a reference to the support/opposition of neighboring towns, not the systems themselves. Charlotte just isn't as balkanized as Atlanta, even proportionally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City