Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 AM

631 posts, read 1,229,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte rep View Post
Atlanta can't compete in the newness catergory. Atlanta just isn't as New as Dallas, Houston, And ( Charlotte ) Atlanta's Architecture is just not as nice, yeah there's a lot of tall Sky scrapers, but most of all the top 40 cities in the us have tall Sky scrapers these days. Even Atlanta's new buildings look old. seriously!
I think your doing this on purpose. Please stop !!!!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,830,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte rep View Post
Atlanta can't compete in the newness catergory. Atlanta just isn't as New as Dallas, Houston, And ( Charlotte ) Atlanta's Architecture is just not as nice, yeah there's a lot of tall Sky scrapers, but most of all the top 40 cities in the us have tall Sky scrapers these days. Even Atlanta's new buildings look old. seriously!
You probably don't realize that Charlotte being "new" is exactly what brings most of the criticism to your city - especially on city-data. Newness is not something that cities aspire to, and it certainly doesn't make one city any better than another. Historical buildings are something to be proud of...ever heard of preservation? Keep on with the immature playground-style taunts about Atlanta not being as new as Charlotte. We're all laughing at you.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,893,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Its been in the Charlotte vs Atlanta threads people have made that claim. Charlotte people say stuff like.... Southpark, Charlottes Buckhead, etc Everything I see people type about charlotte they try and compare it too what Atlanta has done.
Well it's only natural to make those comparisons, since Atlanta is the nearest big city. That doesn't mean they can compete or on the same level, though. I think that's what some people read into it, but it's not what most people mean.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,317,448 times
Quote:
Its been in the Charlotte vs Atlanta threads people have made that claim. Charlotte people say stuff like.... Southpark, Charlottes Buckhead, etc Everything I see people type about charlotte they try and compare it too what Atlanta has done.
I think the comparisons are accurate and acceptable. I for one do feel like Southpark is Charlotte's Buckhead. Now keep in mind that Charlotte is way smaller than Atlanta, and of course Southpark is way smaller than Buckhead. I kind of look at Charlotte and Atlanta as siblings with Atlanta being the older sibling. They have more in common than their differences and if they learn lessons from each other then both cities can improve. Charlotte is not on Atlanta's level, and never will be in this, at least in the next 50 years. But at the same time Charlotte is no slouch of a city.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Well it's only natural to make those comparisons, since Atlanta is the nearest big city. That doesn't mean they can compete or on the same level, though. I think that's what some people read into it, but it's not what most people mean.

Oh ok It just seems that way to me sometimes thats all.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I think the comparisons are accurate and acceptable. I for one do feel like Southpark is Charlotte's Buckhead. Now keep in mind that Charlotte is way smaller than Atlanta, and of course Southpark is way smaller than Buckhead. I kind of look at Charlotte and Atlanta as siblings with Atlanta being the older sibling. They have more in common than their differences and if they learn lessons from each other then both cities can improve. Charlotte is not on Atlanta's level, and never will be in this, at least in the next 50 years. But at the same time Charlotte is no slouch of a city.

Yeah I understand. But when you are comparing 2 places they atleast have to match up together in almost every catergory. One shouldnt dominate the other when your comparing. A good comparison for Buckead would be Houston galleria area its more comparable to Buckhead than Southpark in my opinion. I been to Southpark before man its nice area but it reminds me more of sandy springs/ dunwoody

Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 PM

652 posts, read 1,426,250 times
Quote:
Yeah I understand. But when you are comparing 2 places they atleast have to match up together in almost every catergory. One shouldnt dominate the other when your comparing. A good comparison for Buckead would be Houston galleria area its more comparable to Buckhead than Southpark in my opinion. I been to Southpark before man its nice area but it reminds me more of sandy springs/ dunwoody
I agree with this statement.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,893,003 times
Quote:
You can compare places that don't exactly match up. Sometimes you compare on the basis of quality, and sometimes quantity. And sometimes you just have to account for size differences.

I can understand the Sandy Springs/Perimeter comparison, but SouthPark isn't quite that suburban or that far removed from the urban core, which is why the Buckhead comparison is usually made.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:27 AM

2,862 posts, read 4,632,973 times
Bellevue is the only place that compares to Buckhead in reality but if we're comparing Charlotte to Atlanta then Southpark can be compared to Buckhead on a smaller scale...

Old 12-11-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You can compare places that don't exactly match up. Sometimes you compare on the basis of quality, and sometimes quantity. And sometimes you just have to account for size differences.

I can understand the Sandy Springs/Perimeter comparison, but SouthPark isn't quite that suburban or that far removed from the urban core, which is why the Buckhead comparison is usually made.

Those are basic comparisons. Buckhead would dominate Southpark if you were really making comparisons in every catergory. I think what really makes a good arguement or good comparision would to compare and area the is on some what on the same scale and level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City