Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 PM

631 posts, read 1,230,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Don't waste your time. If he thinks Atlanta "looks old" and is thus somehow lower than Charlotte, then he has no choice but to think the same thing of our nation's greatest urban centers like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, etc. It just makes the teeny-bopper's position look even more ridiculous.

What I dont understand is why the moderators havent deleted the comments off here. I know i shoudlnt be wasting my time I believe they are doing this on purpose.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:44 PM

631 posts, read 1,577,339 times
all of those photos are VERY lovely and made it hard to choose, and although both cities have very nice skylines i had to go with Atlanta simply for a wider variety in architecture and the height and density that it has to offer.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,896,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
What I dont understand is why the moderators havent deleted the comments off here. I know i shoudlnt be wasting my time I believe they are doing this on purpose.
The comments aren't off-topic or offensive, just very uninformed. As such, they are allowed.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:41 PM

415 posts, read 1,211,759 times
Quote:
No sir, Atlanta and Charlotte are not on the same level and Atlanta and Charlotte are NOT equal. Atlanta and Charlotte do not have the same amenities either. Atlanta also has pro hockey, the world's largest aquarium, a zoo, MLK historic district, more than one upscale mall (SouthPark is our only upscale mall), the world's busiest airport, a bunch of museums that we can't come close to matching, etc. And Atlanta does have NASCAR: Atlanta Motor Speedway. I don't think you know much about Atlanta at all with the things you're saying. There's not much, if anything, that Charlotte has that Atlanta doesn't have, but there's a bunch of stuff Atlanta has that Charlotte doesn't have. A metro of 1.7 million (or 2.2 million if you use CSA stats) versus one of 5.5 million are not on the same level, no matter how you slice it.

Unfortunately, it's uninformed statements like this by youngsters who aren't very well-traveled or knowledgeable about things like this that give Charlotte a bad name in the eyes of some Atlantans. Just let it be known that it's not adult Charlotteans who are making these wild claims.
I didnt at all mean as Populations just that each can contradict the other with city proper and metro then I will mistake I did not know that ATL had NASCAR okay. Also the other things you mentioned such as malls thats all great and glorious but CLT also has things ATL dont. So please READ what I post and done acclaim me of making assumptions AKA putting words in my mouth. ATL and CLT are very nice but they can all contradict one another someway somehow.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:43 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,679,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
I didnt at all mean as Populations just that each can contradict the other with city proper and metro then I will mistake I did not know that ATL had NASCAR okay. Also the other things you mentioned such as malls thats all great and glorious but CLT also has things ATL dont. So please READ what I post and done acclaim me of making assumptions AKA putting words in my mouth. ATL and CLT are very nice but they can all contradict one another someway somehow.
Correction. Charlotte is Atlanta 30-40 years ago.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:30 PM

415 posts, read 1,211,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Correction. Charlotte is Atlanta 30-40 years ago.
Please the $h!t is over!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:34 PM

631 posts, read 1,230,318 times
Quote:
s

Name 20 things charlotte has thats Atlanta doesnt have.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:38 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,369,581 times
Quote:
Please the $h!t is over!
Allow me to handle this one.

By my estimates, I'd say this is how Atlanta vs Charlotte stacks up in the skyline department.

Atlanta (the entire city)
70 buildings over 20 floors tall

Charlotte (the entire city)
25 buildings over 20 floors tall

And STRICTLY for the purposes of comparisons...
Raleigh (the entire city)
4 buildings over 20 floors tall

Now, you all may continue....

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-11-2009 at 04:48 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 04:53 PM

444 posts, read 1,145,372 times
Charlotte is much smaller than Atlanta. No battle here.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:00 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,447,470 times
Quote:
But proportionally speaking, Charlotte's skyline has more newer buildings than downtown Atlanta's, which is why most people say that Charlotte has a "new" skyline. NYC and Chicago have added even more buildings than Atlanta, but their skylines aren't "new" because they have a ton of historic buildings that blend with the new. That situation didn't really exist in Charlotte, so the majority of the skyline is indeed "new."
Atlanta has it's share of new buildings as well. They just don't stand out as much because rather than being ganged up together as they are in Charlotte, they are separated from one another by older buildings.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City