Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
The fact is, people are moving from every state in the Northeast to places like Florida, for a "cheaper" (not necessarily "better") way of life. And many of these people are unhappy, because they miss the lifestyle, pace, food, family, etc that they had up north -- but they just cannot afford it.

But the fact remains, real estate down south is still nowhere near the cost of real estate up north, which means that the north (including NJ) is still more desirable to a higher % of people.
If Florida paid the salaries of New Jersey or New York City (because let's face it, those rich people in New Jersey are most likely working in NYC), you would see higher prices in Florida. Part of the reason houses are cheaper in Florida is because people can't afford New Jersey prices on a Florida salary.

You might not like the South...but if someone likes the South plus real estate is cheaper, that's a win-win scenario for them.

Not all of the North is expensive either. Just look at Ohio and Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Well, then I'll ask you to show me where I said higher population equated to a better state

My post you quoted was a response to another poster (from Florida) who suggested that NJ wasn't all that b/c of the population. This was his/her's post:

"More people would rather live in FL that's why it has double the population of NJ." -GLS2010
that was sarcasm bro. It was in response to someone saying more people would rather live in jersey due to the fact that it is more expensive and has so many people for such a small state.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:53 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
If Florida paid the salaries of New Jersey or New York City (because let's face it, those rich people in New Jersey are most likely working in NYC), you would see higher prices in Florida. Part of the reason houses are cheaper in Florida is because people can't afford New Jersey prices on a Florida salary.

You might not like the South...but if someone likes the South plus real estate is cheaper, that's a win-win scenario for them.

Pennslyvania, Illinois, and Indiana are also cheap places to live in.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM

192 posts, read 504,756 times
New Jersey or Florida?

Florida.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:36 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,409 times
Quote:
You missed the point. You wouldn't pay more for a car just because it was a New Jersey car. So why should you pay more for a house? Just because people pay more for something doesn't mean it's better.
If one house is near NYC and the ocean, and the other is simply near the ocean which do you think will be more expensive (assuming everything else about them is the same)? The house near NYC will be more expensive, because of it's better location. NJ is in a prime location. It as able to be rural, while still being closely tied to not one, but two of America's largest cities. So closely tied that if a there were a couple where one worked in Philly and the other in NYC, NJ would be the perfect location for them (and allow for a manageable commuting time)

Quote:
or South Jersey, where home prices are still affordable. I can get a nice 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath home here in Vineland for, give or take, $200,000 depending on location, lot size, and condition of the property.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:26 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Let's compare the two states as many ways as possible:

Gross State Product:
New Jersey: 474,936 Billion USD
Florida: 744,120 Billion USD

Population:
New Jersey: 8,707,739
Florida: 18,328, 340

Land Area:
New Jersey: 8,729 Square Miles
Florida: 65,795 Square Miles

Capital City:
New Jersey: Trenton (82,883)
Florida: Tallahassee (171,922)

Largest City:
New Jersey: Newark (273,546)
Florida: Jacksonville (807,815)

Largest Metropolitan Area (Within State boundaries):
New Jersey:Atlantic City (352,268)
Florida: Miami-Fort Lauderdale (5,414,712)

By the way when time comes to election again in 2012, Florida will once again be in the spot light because it's;
1. The largest Swing state
2. One of the most influential states when electing a president, it can either make it or break it for some candidates because of it's large number of electoral delegates.

New Jersey does have it's own methods of entertainment, but it still is overshadowed by NUC's fashion and entertainment industry. New Jersey is mostly a suburban state but it's also got the second highest per capita income in the country.

To the guy who said I'm being narrow minded, I really don't understand how, you can state that New Jersey's location is it's best amenity but this thread is still "New Jersey Vs. Florida) not New Jersey + NYC + Philly vs. Florida.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Cumberland County, MY county as well as Salem, Cape May, Atlantic, Sussex, Warren, Hunterdon, and other several other counties as well. It's less a case of not buying, more a case of people buying/inheriting, and not developing.
where exactly in sussex, warren and hunterdon?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Let's compare the two states as many ways as possible:

Gross State Product:
New Jersey: 474,936 Billion USD
Florida: 744,120 Billion USD

Population:
New Jersey: 8,707,739
Florida: 18,328, 340

Land Area:
New Jersey: 8,729 Square Miles
Florida: 65,795 Square Miles

Capital City:
New Jersey: Trenton (82,883)
Florida: Tallahassee (171,922)

Largest City:
New Jersey: Newark (273,546)
Florida: Jacksonville (807,815)

Largest Metropolitan Area (Within State boundaries):
New Jersey:Atlantic City (352,268)
Florida: Miami-Fort Lauderdale (5,414,712)

By the way when time comes to election again in 2012, Florida will once again be in the spot light because it's;
1. The largest Swing state
2. One of the most influential states when electing a president, it can either make it or break it for some candidates because of it's large number of electoral delegates.

New Jersey does have it's own methods of entertainment, but it still is overshadowed by NUC's fashion and entertainment industry. New Jersey is mostly a suburban state but it's also got the second highest per capita income in the country.

To the guy who said I'm being narrow minded, I really don't understand how, you can state that New Jersey's location is it's best amenity but this thread is still "New Jersey Vs. Florida) not New Jersey + NYC + Philly vs. Florida.
what's the term in real estate? location location location? are you seriously implying that location has ZERO bearing on a state's desireablity? I mean, all I hear from floridians on this board is how great florida is because you don't have to "shovel the sunshine". isn't that due to florida's location? and don't tell me NJ's location doesn't count because it has access to NYC and Philly. That's completely ridiculous.

You forgot a lot of stats BTW.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

The thing about NJ is, you CANNOT forget about NYC, Philly, or other areas surrounding NJ. When talking about Philly and NYC you cannot forget about NJ. Those cities are more a part of NJ than their own states, and to not include them alienates a fair percentage of NJ workers. They are so closely intertwined that you don't really notice that your crossing state borders until after you've left Philly/NYC.To say that NYC is not an asset of NJ is like saying that you just bought a house walking distance from <insert desired location here> and that you can't count that as a benefit to where you live, because it isn't on your property, even though you enjoy that location, use it on a regular/daily basis, and contribute to its well being. My point is, a pro of NJ is that you get access to NYC and Philadelphia. It's like saying that Florida's access to the Caribbean is not a factor that can be counted.

While we're comparing numbers, lets look at test scores, graduation rates, unemployment, median income, carbon foot print/energy consumption, transportation system, quality of life, and poverty levels, instead of areas that would tend to favor a state with more land mass.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Florida is very UNLIKE NJ because NJ depends on NYC and Philadelphia, and NYC/Philadelphia depend on NJ. In a LOT of different ways.

One thing that people in the south don't fully understand is that the Northeast has a lot of very small states, and traveling between states is something that is EXTREMELY common.

The north is more "regional" while the south's identity is more, "by state", because your states are HUGE in land mass.

There is good reason why NJ is one of the (if not THE) most expensive states to live in. You are never more than an hour or two away from the world's greatest city, miles and miles of beaches, or the mountains. There are very, very few states in which you can say that. And even if there are a few other states where you can say that, the city you'd be near is NOT New York City.

It's an extraordinarily desirable location, whether it's 2 pinnacle cities are inside the state borders or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City