Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Where did I "bash" any place?

Correct, I'm not a New Yorker. I'm a New Jerseyan. That doesn't make me any less friendly, hard working, or proud American, however; it's ignorance and stupidity to suggest as much.
Actually I should apologize for the proud American thing. It's not up to me to say that about you, since I don't really know you, but what I meant and what you thought I meant were completely different. So I do apologize for the misconception. Vocalization of my thoughts is a barrier for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 PM

31 posts, read 62,583 times
Florida, but new jersey is nice. I just dont get how they stay one of the richest, safest, and healthiest states when all their major cities are poor and dangerous and they have 96 toxic waste facilities

Old 04-28-2010, 11:05 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Actually I should apologize for the proud American thing. It's not up to me to say that about you, since I don't really know you, but what I meant and what you thought I meant were completely different. So I do apologize for the misconception. Vocalization of my thoughts is a barrier for me.
I appreciate you apologizing, it speaks well for you.... don't sweat it.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:18 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
If this were NY vs. Florida, it would be a different story, but I'm going with Florida on this one. I feel like NJ is much less of a regional center. While NJ has NYC nearby, the state itself lacks a large city to define it.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I think it does. The intro with all the industrial sections, meadowlands, and NYC skyline is a small blip of the state, but as it nears the end of the intro it shows the blue collar towns which seem to look a lot like Lyndhurst, Belleville, or Bloomfield even. When it ends, Tony pulls into his mansion in a leafy cultasack neighborhood in West Caldwell (Or north?)

The show itself portrays NJ pretty well despite all the mob activity. They even give you an idea what Newark once was pre-riots. I love watching the series, it shows the pretties, the uglies, and the culture of NJ (NNJ atleast). Plus, the acting and storyline is top-notch
It MAY show one tiny portion of the state accurately, and the mob subculture, which is almost nonexistant now anyhow. It does NOT give an image of the entire state of NJ.

It made EVERYBODY look like thugs, from obviously the mobsters themselves, to college kids, to financiers that were "working" with Christopher. People who watched the show got a false impression.

FYI I was a huge fan of the show, I was just not a fan of how it falsely portrayed NJ.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
I don't really care for either FL or NJ, but isn't NJ a heavily suburban state, which by the way gives NJ the upper hand since suburbs are usually the higher income and better educated areas of a state.

Although FL is mainly an urban state, most of the state does not reside in suburbs. FL is a little more balanced because there are large cities, medium sized cities, and small towns in between.

I lived in SW FL several years ago and it was not "bland, cultureless, suburban."
Thats about as ignorant as saying NJ is a large gritty urban cesspool. Both of these stereotypes have no merit.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysfla View Post
Florida, but new jersey is nice. I just dont get how they stay one of the richest, safest, and healthiest states when all their major cities are poor and dangerous and they have 96 toxic waste facilities
This is the huge misconception of NJ. NJ's "major cities" (FYI there are no "major" cities) make up a TINY portion of NJ's population. This is very different than in other states. 80% of NJ's residents live in true suburban environments.

NJ is a giant suburb of New York City, and of Philadelphia. A lot of people outside of the area have a really hard time understanding this concept, because the metro areas of Philadelphia and NYC span multiple states, which is fairly rare.

Northern NJ, for example, is a HUGE (about 60%) of NYC's market! It's the suburbs of NYC, just like Evanston is the suburbs of Chicago. We grew up "going into the city" (NYC) just like the people in the NY State suburbs "went into the city". It's all the same sh*t. Same with the Connecticut suburbs. It's their city, too.

The more I travel (and read these forums) the more I notice that people from other parts of the country have a very, very difficult time understanding this.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
This is the huge misconception of NJ. NJ's "major cities" (FYI there are no "major" cities) make up a TINY portion of NJ's population. This is very different than in other states. 80% of NJ's residents live in true suburban environments.

NJ is a giant suburb of New York City, and of Philadelphia. A lot of people outside of the area have a really hard time understanding this concept, because the metro areas of Philadelphia and NYC span multiple states, which is fairly rare.

Northern NJ, for example, is a HUGE (about 60%) of NYC's market! It's the suburbs of NYC, just like Evanston is the suburbs of Chicago. We grew up "going into the city" (NYC) just like the people in the NY State suburbs "went into the city". It's all the same sh*t. Same with the Connecticut suburbs. It's their city, too.

The more I travel (and read these forums) the more I notice that people from other parts of the country have a very, very difficult time understanding this.
How does that fact that people in NJ go to NYC, have anything to do with the post you were responding to. He was just saying he doesn't understand how ppl say NJ is one of the safest richest states when there are so many outdated run down areas that are dangerous, and the reason why salaries are so high is becuase the cost of living is so high. NJ has nice suburbs and it's in close proximity to nyc and Philly, that's about it.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:45 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
That's correct. It's right across the river.

Good for you. Just understand that you are in a minority. Many, many more people prefer NYC over rural Georgia near the Florida (Jacksonville) border.
I might be mixing you up with someone else, but I thought you hated New Jersey and wanted to get out.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
How does that fact that people in NJ go to NYC, have anything to do with the post you were responding to. He was just saying he doesn't understand how ppl say NJ is one of the safest richest states when there are so many outdated run down areas that are dangerous, and the reason why salaries are so high is becuase the cost of living is so high. NJ has nice suburbs and it's in close proximity to nyc and Philly, that's about it.
Except that's not it. NJ also has 120 miles of the most-visited beaches on the East Coast.

And hundreds of thousands of acres of farms where the whole country gets a lot of it's produce from. This is the Garden State. That wasn't a joke, when we named it that.

It's not all suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City