Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:30 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times

Advertisements

Pbergen once again hit the nail on the head.

It's a bizarre perception of outsiders that NJ is urban and gritty. Really the exact opposite is true.

The vast majority of the state's residents live in classic, American suburbs, that are quite frankly very well maintained, and the opposite of "gritty".

Remember, NJ is very frequently the wealthiest state in the US (alternates each year between NJ, CT, and MD), and if you think about it, would the wealthiest people in the US voluntarily live in a "gritty" area?

The show Sopranos does not represent NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
The show Sopranos does not represent NJ.
I think it does. The intro with all the industrial sections, meadowlands, and NYC skyline is a small blip of the state, but as it nears the end of the intro it shows the blue collar towns which seem to look a lot like Lyndhurst, Belleville, or Bloomfield even. When it ends, Tony pulls into his mansion in a leafy cultasack neighborhood in West Caldwell (Or north?)

The show itself portrays NJ pretty well despite all the mob activity. They even give you an idea what Newark once was pre-riots. I love watching the series, it shows the pretties, the uglies, and the culture of NJ (NNJ atleast). Plus, the acting and storyline is top-notch

Old 04-28-2010, 05:04 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
The New Jersey people keep saying they have access to NYC even though they're in different states.

Two can play at that game.

You know what, the Florida people have access to Georgia. If you're living in Jacksonville or the panhandle, Georgia is the same distance that NYC is from New Jersey. The New Jersey/NYC people might not think Georgia is good, but I much prefer Georgia over NYC.
Um, don't forget Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and other countries in the gulf that share a close proximity with Florida. Foreign countries within the proximity of Florida is something NJ doesn't have. Despite being a melting pot state for cultures and ethnicity from all across the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Why can't you people understand anything?
NJ is a complete 100% metro. It's the only state that you can say that about. For example, say someone in Florida is living in the Miami suburbs, 10 miles outside of the city, what's the difference of me living 10 miles outside of NYC? NJ is where more than half of NYC's metro area is located.

Since NYC is point blank- GIGANTIC. It makes NJ's suburban population and density so high (higher than most American cities at that) how is NJ even able to fit its own major city to add on to NJ's high population density? Your nuts if you think we want that. NYC and Philly are conveniently located on NJ's borders, more NJians are connected to those cities more so than most of NYS and PA.

You think someone in Syracuse has much connection or relation to NYC? They're 250 miles apart. Going by your logic, being 2 miles over the Hudson in say Jersey City doesn't matter in comparison because they're in separate states. Does that really matter? If it's a short distance, or there's reliable public transportation, than that's the advantage NJ has. As a NNJ native, you don't think about entering the state of NY when going into NYC. We all refer to it as "The City"

Who cares if NYC over shadows NJ? I still shop in NJ, and I prefer it over NYC (no sales tax on clothing). The Jersey shore is more entertaining than any NYC/LI or FL beach IMO. The food is arguably just as good as NYC... Having NYC so close to me is just a bonus.

NJ's location is the reason NJ is NJ. You people are ridiculous to dismiss such a fact.
If I lived in NYC I would shop in NJ as well because of the no sales tax thing.
That's your opinion, I find the beaches near Fort Lauderdale and Miami to be more entertaining. Plus I love the subtropical climate in Florida.

I'm not saying that the food in NJ isn't as good as NYC, I can actually see New Jersey having better food, because more restaurant owners would be able to afford larger amount of restaurants in NJ than NYC, and have more area to put it. NYC is quite limited and the inner city rent must be a killer.
NJ is expensive as well but I don't think anywhere as close to NYC.

Yeah I know New Jersey locals have a stronger connection to Philadelphia and New York City compared to other Pennsylvanians and New Yorkers, but what do you really want to prove here? I simply stated it's a state versus state thread and you're trying to make me look like some ignorant person. Please tell me what part of state vs. another state you don't understand? And you're trying to point fingers at me for actually comparing the REAL topic.

I get it, NJ has a great location, it's rich in it's location, it has a great access to other major cities. Does that help it? Yes it does, many people in NJ work in Philly/NYC but again what does all this say about NJ?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Florida has my vote.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Um, don't forget Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and other countries in the gulf that share a close proximity with Florida. Foreign countries within the proximity of Florida is something NJ doesn't have. Despite being a melting pot state for cultures and ethnicity from all across the world.

If I lived in NYC I would shop in NJ as well because of the no sales tax thing.
That's your opinion, I find the beaches near Fort Lauderdale and Miami to be more entertaining. Plus I love the subtropical climate in Florida.

I'm not saying that the food in NJ isn't as good as NYC, I can actually see New Jersey having better food, because more restaurant owners would be able to afford larger amount of restaurants in NJ than NYC, and have more area to put it. NYC is quite limited and the inner city rent must be a killer.
NJ is expensive as well but I don't think anywhere as close to NYC.

Yeah I know New Jersey locals have a stronger connection to Philadelphia and New York City compared to other Pennsylvanians and New Yorkers, but what do you really want to prove here? I simply stated it's a state versus state thread and you're trying to make me look like some ignorant person. Please tell me what part of state vs. another state you don't understand? And you're trying to point fingers at me for actually comparing the REAL topic.

I get it, NJ has a great location, it's rich in it's location, it has a great access to other major cities. Does that help it? Yes it does, many people in NJ work in Philly/NYC but again what does all this say about NJ?
Sorry if you thought my whole message was towards you. I never said you denied everything I said. I was just listing some of NJ's qualities and how they stack up in comparison to NYC.

What does that say about NJ?
Well no one seems to be mentioning Newark and JC much, but they are indeed important cities. Both of them are among the densest cities in the nation, and JC has one of the nations largest office space real estate markets in the nation right now, so becoming a larger, more prosperous city is imminent in NJ.
Newark and JC also border one another combining two separate strong job markets. Newark for one offers a great industrial market, where even a good amount of NYers come over the bridge to work. Jersey City offers a lot of office jobs that attract a lot of white collar commuters.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Sorry if you thought my whole message was towards you. I never said you denied everything I said. I was just listing some of NJ's qualities and how they stack up in comparison to NYC.

What does that say about NJ?
Well no one seems to be mentioning Newark and JC much, but they are indeed important cities. Both of them are among the densest cities in the nation, and JC has one of the nations largest office space real estate markets in the nation right now, so becoming a larger, more prosperous city is imminent in NJ.
Newark and JC also border one another combining two separate strong job markets. Newark for one offers a great industrial market, where even a good amount of NYers come over the bridge to work. Jersey City offers a lot of office jobs that attract a lot of white collar commuters.
One of the things that really irritates me is when Newark and Jersey City are considered as "suburbs" for NYC. I find their relationship to NYC the same as St. Paul to Minneapolis, Fort Worth to Dallas, St. Petersburgh to Tampa, Fort Lauderdale to Miami. I think of them as important cities, and cities of their own, and not as "suburbs" if you look at their infrastructure, landscape, and cityscape, you'll see they are in no way designed to be suburban like, but to be their own prominent cities.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:17 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,409 times
Quote:
I think it does. The intro with all the industrial sections, meadowlands, and NYC skyline is a small blip of the state, but as it nears the end of the intro it shows the blue collar towns which seem to look a lot like Lyndhurst, Belleville, or Bloomfield even. When it ends, Tony pulls into his mansion in a leafy cultasack neighborhood in West Caldwell (Or north?)

The show itself portrays NJ pretty well despite all the mob activity. They even give you an idea what Newark once was pre-riots. I love watching the series, it shows the pretties, the uglies, and the culture of NJ (NNJ atleast). Plus, the acting and storyline is top-notch
Until I went to school in North Jersey, I had no idea that parts of NJ were so dense or like most of the places on that show (now I know where they are, and they make up a significant minority of our state)

Also, I was surprised at how many different places you can find a view of NYC (In fact I have one from my seat right here in studio at school, the Empire State Building is white tonight BTW)

About NYC and Philly being our greatest assets, you know what it says about NJ, it says that we have a great location and that fate did not govern colonial charters in our favor (see Staten Island and our border with Delaware)

Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
One of the things that really irritates me is when Newark and Jersey City are considered as "suburbs" for NYC. I find their relationship to NYC the same as St. Paul to Minneapolis, Fort Worth to Dallas, St. Petersburgh to Tampa, Fort Lauderdale to Miami. I think of them as important cities, and cities of their own, and not as "suburbs" if you look at their infrastructure, landscape, and cityscape, you'll see they are in no way designed to be suburban like, but to be their own prominent cities.
It is strange. On these threads they ask 'What has the best suburban skyline?'-- JC is a strong compertitor if you'd consider that a suburb, but no, that's a city... Then you have threads that ask 'what mid-sized cities have the best skyline' again, JC is a strong competitor, but no, that's are suburb of NYC (like NYC's the one to credit )... It's ridiculous, it's like people won't let or don't like it when NJ shows some of its own identity.

Newark is only spoken of when people are talking about ghettos (there's more to it too)
Jersey City is barely spoken of or really acknowledged outside of the tri state area because it's the first city in NYC's shadow. I'm waiting on JC to make its big move

Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
I don't recall JC being called a suburb of NYC, it's a satellite city. JC itself is more urban than most of NYC (as a whole).

I'd like to see JC's skyline grow even more, that new tall tower (I think it was built in '04) is a great step but it needs some more company lol. I wonder if anymore are planned.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
It is strange. On these threads they ask 'What has the best suburban skyline?'-- JC is a strong compertitor if you'd consider that a suburb, but no, that's a city... Then you have threads that ask 'what mid-sized cities have the best skyline' again, JC is a strong competitor, but no, that's are suburb of NYC (like NYC's the one to credit )... It's ridiculous, it's like people won't let or don't like it when NJ shows some of its own identity.

Newark is only spoken of when people are talking about ghettos (there's more to it too)
Jersey City is barely spoken of or really acknowledged outside of the tri state area because it's the first city in NYC's shadow. I'm waiting on JC to make its big move
Same with Florida. People on these threads complain about how HOT and HUMID it is in FLA ALL YEAR LONG. BUT then on the "which city is most tropical" thread, Miami's tropicalness(for lack of a better term) is debated because it gets "too cold" and "freezing" in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City