Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I don't see how you can say NJ offers more.
if i'm not mistaken, you're pretty young. how much time have you spent in NJ? in full disclosure I've spend an enormous amount of time in FL, enough to have a very good grasp of differences between the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 03:16 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I don't see how you can say NJ offers more.
I've spent a lot of time in NJ and FL. There are more options of things to do in NJ. It's THAT simple.

If you hate cold weather, and cannot deal with cold weather, then in that case Florida is a better fit. But it still doesn't "offer more". The word "more" refers to quantity. Unless I'm missing the mountain scenery in Florida, or true urban areas in Florida, the scenery as well as lifestyle in Florida is NOT very diverse.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:25 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Florida is for retired people and people that like to work for low wages. New Jersey is for progressive people that enjoy a great location, great jobs, great wages, and great culture. Im sorry put the opinion of a teenager that is probably scared of the "big bad Northeast" is meaningless. Nothing about boring beaches (except for south beach) and bland subdivisions appeal to a go-getter.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:29 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
ok I'm jumping in here but... WHAT?

How can anybody say that NJ has more to offer than Florida.

1.) Florida is an international tourist attaction.

2.) Miami alone is debately one of the most entertaining cites in the USA and has some of the best nightlife on this here, planet earth. NJ doesn't even have a big city.

3.) spring break

4.) You might as well have a fast moving train that goes from NY/NJ to Florida and stops nowhere else for all the people the visit or relocate there.

I'm not saying Jersey isn't nice... and I am sure not a Florida fan with those Gators and Seminoles, but WHAT?

As far as states Florida and Cali are hard to touch. Cause the nice weather and entertainment.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:32 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Florida is for retired people and people that like to work for low wages. New Jersey is for progressive people that enjoy a great location, great jobs, great wages, and great culture. Im sorry put the opinion of a teenager that is probably scared of the "big bad Northeast" is meaningless. Nothing about boring beaches (except for south beach) and bland subdivisions appeal to a go-getter.
Right, b/c the opinion of someone with a chip on their shoulder with regards to Florida is much better.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Right, b/c the opinion of someone with a chip on their shoulder with regards to Florida is much better.
Feel free to compare the salaries of New Jersey and Florida. Also check which is the only state in the union where salaries have dropped (Florida). Lets also compare the fortune 500 companies of our metro areas. For a tiny state like New Jersey it sure crushes that big bland chunk of swamp.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Feel free to compare the salaries of New Jersey and Florida. Also check which is the only state in the union where salaries have dropped (Florida). Lets also compare the fortune 500 companies of our metro areas. For a tiny state like New Jersey it sure crushes that big bland chunk of swamp.
what a shock, my point went completely over your head so you bring up crap about salaries and Fortune 500 companies,haha, how typical. If you enjoy that live to work rat race NE mentality then good for you, probably a reason why a lot of people leave that area.

And apparently NJ doesn't crush Florida by the looks of this poll and the fact that a significant amount of people move from NJ to FL rather than the other way around.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If you enjoy that live to work rat race NE mentality then good for you.
Actually I enjoy it very much.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Actually I enjoy it very much.
That's nice, it's just too bad what it does to the personalities of those types though.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
I don't think you need a high salary if cost of living is low. As far as fortune 500 companies... I think Florida has a higher state GDP with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City