Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't recall JC being called a suburb of NYC, it's a satellite city. JC itself is more urban than most of NYC (as a whole).

I'd like to see JC's skyline grow even more, that new tall tower (I think it was built in '04) is a great step but it needs some more company lol. I wonder if anymore are planned.
I'm sure as the Tri-state metro area grows, so will JC's skyline. And I agree, that one tower needs more company.

Not this thread, but there are dozens of other threads where people classify Newark and Jersey City as suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
It is strange. On these threads they ask 'What has the best suburban skyline?'-- JC is a strong compertitor if you'd consider that a suburb, but no, that's a city... Then you have threads that ask 'what mid-sized cities have the best skyline' again, JC is a strong competitor, but no, that's are suburb of NYC (like NYC's the one to credit )... It's ridiculous, it's like people won't let or don't like it when NJ shows some of its own identity.

Newark is only spoken of when people are talking about ghettos (there's more to it too)
Jersey City is barely spoken of or really acknowledged outside of the tri state area because it's the first city in NYC's shadow. I'm waiting on JC to make its big move
Exactly, people really need to wake up and smell the coffee, but the city that has it the worst is probably Baltimore. It gets more overshadowed by DC than anything else I have seen. Some people have the audacity to call it DC's suburb. When in fact it's population is larger than DC's, maintains it's own skyline, and is larger in land area, and has it's own companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't recall JC being called a suburb of NYC, it's a satellite city. JC itself is more urban than most of NYC (as a whole).

I'd like to see JC's skyline grow even more, that new tall tower (I think it was built in '04) is a great step but it needs some more company lol. I wonder if anymore are planned.
The Trump Plaza was recently put up in JC. It's fancy smancy, but that's exactly what JC needs if it wants more working class coming in. (From what I've heard/noticed, A lot more Asians are coming into JC)
There's actually a lot of buildings approved for construction that are replacing rundown abandoned parts oc the city (GOOD NEWS ), Harborside Plaza 7 for one is actually going to be the tallest in JC at 800ft (which means the tallest in NJ, and taller than FL's current tallest building, and the nations third tallest residential building in the nation behind NYC & Chicago)... Proud much?

Last edited by BPerone201; 04-28-2010 at 09:03 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
The Trump Plaza was recently put up in JC. It's fancy smancy, but that's exactly what JC needs if it wants more working class coming in. (From what I've heard/noticed, A lot more Asians are coming into JC)
There's actually a lot of buildings approved for construction that are replacing rundown abandoned parts oc the city (GOOD NEWS ), Harborside Plaza 7 for one is actually going to be the tallest in JC at 800ft (which means the tallest in NJ)
I'm a skyline fanatic, and this certainly does sound like VERY good news.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I'm a skyline fanatic, and this certainly does sound like VERY good news.
Same here, 800ft is amazing, its just what JC needs to stand out a little more. I wouldnt be surprised if the Manhattan/Jersey City skylines compliment each other in the future. I'm just picturing the views from that river that goes through Hong Kong with the skyscrapers on both sides.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
I'm sure as the Tri-state metro area grows, so will JC's skyline. And I agree, that one tower needs more company.

Not this thread, but there are dozens of other threads where people classify Newark and Jersey City as suburbs.

Exactly, people really need to wake up and smell the coffee, but the city that has it the worst is probably Baltimore. It gets more overshadowed by DC than anything else I have seen. Some people have the audacity to call it DC's suburb. When in fact it's population is larger than DC's, maintains it's own skyline, and is larger in land area, and has it's own companies.
I don't think Baltimore has it as bad as JC (but JC is half the size, so how you judge the whole comparison is a moot point indeed)
I love Baltimore personally, I like it more than DC at that. At least Baltimore managed to get its own sport leagues. Another thing to point out is that Baltimore isn't much better in terms of crime compared to Newark, but Newark gets no credit what so ever by most people. Newark needs a lot more work though, but I think the reason it's so avoided is because it's probably one of the least whitest cities behind Detroit. And I'm saying this without any offense to the blacks/hispanics there, it's just obviousness to why it's avoided. (I'm moving to Newark (Ironbound) in July/August where my friend lives to be closer to the college, so I personally have no issue with Newark's demographics. Plus I'm literally a mile from Newark)

-I'm a skyline fanatic as well
-I just took a look at the Hong Kong skyline along both sides of the river... INCREDIBLE!

Last edited by BPerone201; 04-28-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I don't think Baltimore has it as bad as JC (but JC is half the size, so how you judge the whole comparison is a moot point indeed)
I love Baltimore personally, I like it more than DC at that. At least Baltimore managed to get its own sport leagues. Another thing to point out is that Baltimore isn't much better in terms of crime compared to Newark, but Newark gets no credit what so ever by most people. Newark needs a lot more work though, but I think the reason it's so avoided is because it's probably one of the least whitest cities behind Detroit. And I'm saying this without any offense to the blacks/hispanics there, it's just obviousness to why it's avoided. (I'm moving to Newark (Ironbound) in July/August where my friend lives to be closer to the college, so I personally have no issue with Newark's demographics)
Yeah, NJ does have some professional sports teams playing in the state, but they're always credited to being NYC's teams. In fact isn't NYC the ONLY US city to have three NHL teams? That's crazy, here in Houston, we have zero!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
The New Jersey people keep saying they have access to NYC even though they're in different states.
That's correct. It's right across the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Two can play at that game.

You know what, the Florida people have access to Georgia. If you're living in Jacksonville or the panhandle, Georgia is the same distance that NYC is from New Jersey. The New Jersey/NYC people might not think Georgia is good, but I much prefer Georgia over NYC.
Good for you. Just understand that you are in a minority. Many, many more people prefer NYC over rural Georgia near the Florida (Jacksonville) border.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-29-2010 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Yeah, NJ does have some professional sports teams playing in the state, but they're always credited to being NYC's teams. In fact isn't NYC the ONLY US city to have three NHL teams? That's crazy, here in Houston, we have zero!
NYC has one, Long Island has one, and NJ has one - but all 3 are NYC metro teams, that's true.

Houston is a lesser city, that's why they don't have the pro sports NYC has.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
NYC has one, Long Island has one, and NJ has one - but all 3 are NYC metro teams, that's true.

Houston is a lesser city, that's why they don't have the pro sports NYC has.
No city has the same magnitude of professional sports teams as NYC. NYC has 9 teams for the BIG 4 sports (NHL-3, NFL-2, NBA-2, MLB-2)

LA and Chicago would be tied for second due to LA's lack of NFL. And Chicago's 2 MLB.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:59 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,409 times
Something people from other states neglect, we have a love of arguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City