Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Let's compare the two states as many ways as possible:

Gross State Product:
New Jersey: 474,936 Billion USD
Florida: 744,120 Billion USD

Population:
New Jersey: 8,707,739
Florida: 18,328, 340

Land Area:
New Jersey: 8,729 Square Miles
Florida: 65,795 Square Miles

Capital City:
New Jersey: Trenton (82,883)
Florida: Tallahassee (171,922)

Largest City:
New Jersey: Newark (273,546)
Florida: Jacksonville (807,815)

Largest Metropolitan Area (Within State boundaries):
New Jersey:Atlantic City (352,268)
Florida: Miami-Fort Lauderdale (5,414,712)

By the way when time comes to election again in 2012, Florida will once again be in the spot light because it's;
1. The largest Swing state
2. One of the most influential states when electing a president, it can either make it or break it for some candidates because of it's large number of electoral delegates.

New Jersey does have it's own methods of entertainment, but it still is overshadowed by NUC's fashion and entertainment industry. New Jersey is mostly a suburban state but it's also got the second highest per capita income in the country.

To the guy who said I'm being narrow minded, I really don't understand how, you can state that New Jersey's location is it's best amenity but this thread is still "New Jersey Vs. Florida) not New Jersey + NYC + Philly vs. Florida.
Why can't you people understand anything?
NJ is a complete 100% metro. It's the only state that you can say that about. For example, say someone in Florida is living in the Miami suburbs, 10 miles outside of the city, what's the difference of me living 10 miles outside of NYC? NJ is where more than half of NYC's metro area is located.

Since NYC is point blank- GIGANTIC. It makes NJ's suburban population and density so high (higher than most American cities at that) how is NJ even able to fit its own major city to add on to NJ's high population density? Your nuts if you think we want that. NYC and Philly are conveniently located on NJ's borders, more NJians are connected to those cities more so than most of NYS and PA.

You think someone in Syracuse has much connection or relation to NYC? They're 250 miles apart. Going by your logic, being 2 miles over the Hudson in say Jersey City doesn't matter in comparison because they're in separate states. Does that really matter? If it's a short distance, or there's reliable public transportation, than that's the advantage NJ has. As a NNJ native, you don't think about entering the state of NY when going into NYC. We all refer to it as "The City"

Who cares if NYC over shadows NJ? I still shop in NJ, and I prefer it over NYC (no sales tax on clothing). The Jersey shore is more entertaining than any NYC/LI or FL beach IMO. The food is arguably just as good as NYC... Having NYC so close to me is just a bonus.

NJ's location is the reason NJ is NJ. You people are ridiculous to dismiss such a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Well, then I'll ask you to show me where I said higher population equated to a better state

My post you quoted was a response to another poster (from Florida) who suggested that NJ wasn't all that b/c of the population. This was his/her's post:

"More people would rather live in FL that's why it has double the population of NJ." -GLS2010

You said "Per capita, however, there are more people per sq mi in NJ" in response to "More people would rather live in FL that's why it has double the population of NJ". So I can only assume that you meant more people would rather live in NJ,(thus making it a better state) to contridict GLS2010's argument, or else you would have not said that at all.

If that is not what you meant, than please explain why you felt the need to say "Per capita, however, there are more people per sq mi in NJ".

I should point out that this post is also directed at DailyJournalist, who preaches how great NJ is by stating its population density as a reason.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:36 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
The New Jersey people keep saying they have access to NYC even though they're in different states.

Two can play at that game.

You know what, the Florida people have access to Georgia. If you're living in Jacksonville or the panhandle, Georgia is the same distance that NYC is from New Jersey. The New Jersey/NYC people might not think Georgia is good, but I much prefer Georgia over NYC.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
The New Jersey people keep saying they have access to NYC even though they're in different states.

You know what, the Florida people have access to Georgia. If you're living in Jacksonville or the panhandle, Georgia is the same distance that NYC is from New Jersey. The New Jersey/NYC people might not think Georgia is good, but I much prefer Georgia over NYC.
Don't forget, the Bahamas are a small boat ride from Florida aswell.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
Quote:

Okay...................

Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Florida is very UNLIKE NJ because NJ depends on NYC and Philadelphia, and NYC/Philadelphia depend on NJ. In a LOT of different ways.

One thing that people in the south don't fully understand is that the Northeast has a lot of very small states, and traveling between states is something that is EXTREMELY common.

The north is more "regional" while the south's identity is more, "by state", because your states are HUGE in land mass.

There is good reason why NJ is one of the (if not THE) most expensive states to live in. You are never more than an hour or two away from the world's greatest city, miles and miles of beaches, or the mountains. There are very, very few states in which you can say that. And even if there are a few other states where you can say that, the city you'd be near is NOT New York City.

It's an extraordinarily desirable location, whether it's 2 pinnacle cities are inside the state borders or not.
NYC is not the world's greatest city. You might think it is, but that's an opinion. And I lived in New England until 2009 so I know all about how small the states are and that it's common to travel between states.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
If one house is near NYC and the ocean, and the other is simply near the ocean which do you think will be more expensive (assuming everything else about them is the same)? The house near NYC will be more expensive, because of it's better location. NJ is in a prime location. It as able to be rural, while still being closely tied to not one, but two of America's largest cities. So closely tied that if a there were a couple where one worked in Philly and the other in NYC, NJ would be the perfect location for them (and allow for a manageable commuting time)
The house near NYC will be more expensive because people make more money and can afford a more expensive house. Like I said earlier, you would see higher prices in Florida if Florida paid NJ/NYC salaries. Look at California. It is similar to Florida in some ways (warm, coastal) but the prices are more like New Jersey.

Paying a premium to be near NYC might be worth it for some people, but it would be a waste of money for someone like me with no desire to live in or near NYC. And I know I am not alone with that statement.

If Florida is so bad, then why do Cubans risk their lives to come to Florida for a better life.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:

that is certainly your right and prerogative!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
The house near NYC will be more expensive because people make more money and can afford a more expensive house. Like I said earlier, you would see higher prices in Florida if Florida paid NJ/NYC salaries. Look at California. It is similar to Florida in some ways (warm, coastal) but the prices are more like New Jersey.

Paying a premium to be near NYC might be worth it for some people, but it would be a waste of money for someone like me with no desire to live in or near NYC. And I know I am not alone with that statement.

If Florida is so bad, then why do Cubans risk their lives to come to Florida for a better life.
first off, i can only answer for myself and I've never said florida is "so bad". to answer the question however, they end up in florida because it's the closest state to cuba?

it's funny you mention cubans because what state has the largest number after florida? new jersey! if NJ is so bad why are there so many here? LOL

Old 04-28-2010, 11:08 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:

No one's playing a game. If having great access to GA is what you prefer, than Florida is the better choice, who's calling you out on that?
People are just playing hard ball. They rely on statistics to back up their opinions... they're nuts.

Why would you even care?

NYC obviously attracts more people than Georgia and Alabama, but who's stopping you to prefer GA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City