Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrowise View Post
I can't put my finger on it, but there just seems to be something different about the way people in the midwest, even in an urbanite city like Chicago think vs. the way people in east coast urban environments like Philadelphia and Boston think.

Can anyone identify what exactly this is about and why?
I believe you would find differences in all regions of the country, not just the east coast and the Midwest. There are also differences between the east coast and the west coast, between the east coast and the Pacific Northwest, etc. Do you think everyone in Philadelphia or Boston thinks the same way they do in LA or Portland or Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Keep in mind that there are quite rural areas between many of these cities everywhere. I am on the East Coast, in fact we are in Maine.

This is slow paced, in-expensive, and friendly.

Assuming that all of the Eastern Seaboard is NYC or DC-beltway is faulty.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:17 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Keep in mind that there are quite rural areas between many of these cities everywhere. I am on the East Coast, in fact we are in Maine.

This is slow paced, in-expensive, and friendly.

Assuming that all of the Eastern Seaboard is NYC or DC-beltway is faulty.
East Coast=Boston-Washington in everyday conversations. I don't think he meant the entire thing. South Carolina sure isn't fast-paced either.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,594 times
I think some of it has to do with where people come from. The east coast, especially NYC, attracts a ton of people from all over who instantly want to identify with being a "New Yorker". To me, it's almost like being on the east coast is a way of life versus a place that you are from. Meanwhile in the midwest, our big cities are mostly populated with people from the midwest. Even in Chicago, most people that live there are from other places in the midwest.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
People in the Midwest seem, in general, to be less "in a hurry" and more likely to be polite towards others, which may influence how they see others.

We're M*******s.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
We're M*******s.
Smart forum; It's the state Mass and Holes put together.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:39 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
^^^^^^That's ridiculous! Cleveland is nothing like the east coast cities. I was surprised that people in the midwest didn't jay walk. On the east coast, jaywalking is a way of life. Also standing on the left of an escaltor will get you yelled at.

NYC, Boston, Philly and DC are faster paced cities.
I hope that is a joke.. LOL Everyone jaywalks here in the city.. Are you serious? LOL..You obviously have never been to Cleveland.

And Cleveland is far more similar to the eastcoast then the midwest. I've lived in both areas - don't try and tell me differently. I lived in Arlington before ever stepping a foot in Cleveland. And I honestly don't see how fast pace got any relevance.. it depends on where you live. I live in an area far more urban then the one I lived in DC, and it's much faster paced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA_vYv_zvX4

"Girls from Cincinnati talk like they from DOWN SOUTH"
Cleveland is more eastern - could easily be in Pennsylvania or New York.
Columbus is more traditional midwest.
Cincinnati is a mix of all three.. more midwest and a little southern.

Last edited by WeSoHood; 11-05-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 02:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Hrrm... I dunno I had a different vibe... I think Cleveland is about 75% midwest 25% east coast.

Erie is about 50/50, pittsburgh about 75% east / 25% midwest.

why do rappers from Cleveland rep the midwest???

maybe a better term would be great lakes or rust belt.

It is certainly more similar to east coast than say, Kansas or Nebraska, but when you add it in to cities like Detroit and Chicago... it is closer to those than it is to nyc/philly/newark..

Old 11-05-2009, 03:11 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
The East Coast is centered around NYC...a place filled with Italians. We all know how Italians are. The Midwest is laid back except in the cities like Chicago. The cities, like Chicago or Detroit, don't have that in your face attitude that you see on the East Coast but they are shady and I wouldn't cross those people.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:16 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hrrm... I dunno I had a different vibe... I think Cleveland is about 75% midwest 25% east coast.

Erie is about 50/50, pittsburgh about 75% east / 25% midwest.

why do rappers from Cleveland rep the midwest???

maybe a better term would be great lakes or rust belt.

It is certainly more similar to east coast than say, Kansas or Nebraska, but when you add it in to cities like Detroit and Chicago... it is closer to those than it is to nyc/philly/newark..

I agree on all these points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City