Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:03 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
You need to read that survey. It seems to indicate those are 2000's numbers, the last official census so that makes sense. And I still contend, rather those are new or old numbers is irrelevant. Its still a comparison of "percentages" of the make up of those cities populations, not which is larger than the other. You are attempting to discount the numbers simply because they're not as current as you would like. Again, its an apples to apples comparison.
Sorry, but a chart that uses old or bad information isn't valid or credible. Population figures from 2000? That's 10 years old! That right there automatically disqualifies your information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:19 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
One can spend all day in downtown Portland, and over a month's time never see an African American.
This is false. I lived downtown and I saw African Americans every single day that I lived there. Not just one, but many. Everyday.

I also have to take issue with the fact that the chart that was posted at the beginning appears to be purely based on race, and not ethnicity in trying to determine some sort of diversity statistics. It looks like the data is potentially jostled around to make a headline... "ZOMG PORTLAND IS SOOO WHITE!!!1" Of course there are huge Russian, Ukrainian, and other Eastern European populations in the city, and also lots of "White/Caucasian" (though possibly mixed race) Hispanics who probably are included in the "White/Caucasian" category. And the data is outdated.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
This is false. I lived downtown and I saw African Americans every single day that I lived there. Not just one, but many. Everyday.

I also have to take issue with the fact that the chart that was posted at the beginning appears to be purely based on race, and not ethnicity in trying to determine some sort of diversity statistics. It looks like the data is potentially jostled around to make a headline... "ZOMG PORTLAND IS SOOO WHITE!!!1" Of course there are huge Russian, Ukrainian, and other Eastern European populations in the city, and also lots of "White/Caucasian" (though possibly mixed race) Hispanics who probably are included in the "White/Caucasian" category. And the data is outdated.

Yup. And like some other cities, the majority of Portland's diversity isn't necessarily in the city proper. I was born and raised in Beaverton and even when I was in public schools there a decade ago, my schools were nearly 30% hispanic. That's a third. And there's also sizable Somali and Indian (particularly in Washington County, I think a lot of them come to the Silicon Forest to work in the high-tech sector) communities throughout the metro as well.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:08 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Sorry, but a chart that uses old or bad information isn't valid or credible. Population figures from 2000? That's 10 years old! That right there automatically disqualifies your information.
Its not my information, its unbiased third party info. And unless you have something to offer that shows those percentages are wrong "thate rite thurr" disqualifies your right to complain.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaraylee182004 View Post
My fault uptown, you're right Boise is small. I was thinking of Denver, but, typed Boise.
Anyways, according to carolina blue's posted chart, Portland, OR is the "white-est" city in the country. Thanks.

I live in Portland but am from the Boston area. I have visited the majority of the USA in my life. As far as this subject is concerned. I would have to say Portland is the whitest Major city I have seen in this country. Salt Lake City is right up there also. Portland does have many people of different colors, races and nationalities, but it has no real diversity in the true meaning of the word. There is no real blending of all these people at all, very segregated by who you are here. Definitely white being the majority population by a huge percentage I have seen of a city this large. There are reasons for that Im sure, but thats another subject and not for this forum.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaraylee182004 View Post
I wonder where are some of the "white-est" urban places in the country are?
And I mean this by, which city has the highest concentration of white population living in the urban part of the city.

I have guesses off the top of my head, I don't know maybe Salt Lake City or Boise
I'll give you a hint. City Data has all the demographic data for every city in the USA. Go there and look for cities with a low urban crime rate and that's where the white people will be. The lower the rate the higher the percentage. Of course, it goes without saying, the reverse is true.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:02 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Clay, New York is 91% white, but Ramapo, New York is just 68% white and 17% black. Still they don't go above 50,000 so don't limit anything to what's meant by "large cities."

//www.city-data.com/top2/c407.html

Of their list of 100 largest cities Portland does seem to be about the "whitest" at around 75%.

Others that might be as white or whiter may not fit what's meant by "large cities" here as their metropolitan areas might not be large enough. Omaha and Colorado Springs are about the same as Portland in "percentage white." Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky appears to be a few percentage points "whiter." Scottsdale, Arizona I believe is the "whitest" city of over 200,000 but I believe it's a suburb. Of those Omaha seems to be the largest in terms of metropolitan area, but is under a million.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,572 times
not going to lie, from my observation the Boston metro is VERY white. I was in NYC this past weekend and completely forgot how diverse culturally and ethnically big cities generally are because you don't see it as often here. Its definately a good thing.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Love the fact that Los Angeles is the least "white" of all metro regions. The term should be "anglo" since Mexicians are caucasian. "White" generally translates into boring except on East & West coasts.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
One can spend all day in downtown Portland, and over a month's time never see an African American.
This is basically true, you would really have to look and look to see anyone that is African American. What you will see are hundreds of white homeless and druggies, wandering about begging for money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City