Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:30 PM

184 posts, read 571,657 times

Advertisements

Dallas is more important than Philadelphia. I enjoy what Philly has to offer but lets face the facts, Philly is a city losing population and it basically lives and relies on it's history. It is not more important than Dallas not to mention that the DFW metropolitan area is growing fast and I mean faaast..... I like Philly more but Dallas takes this one. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 02:41 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,621,730 times
Philadelphia, of course.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:11 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Actually its not like that at all. Not having Wilmington would be like Dallas not having Fort Worth.

Why do you keep exaggerating the DFW metro? You do this over and over again and its getting annoying. The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is 8,991 square miles of land.

To go even further, in the DFW metroplex 5.4 Million people live 3,480 square miles of land.

Lets also talk about growth, shall we?

Between 2000 and 2008, the DFW metroplex has added 1,138,462 people. Thats more than any other metro area in the US period.
Between 2000 and 2008, the Delaware Valley added 151,324 people.

Now if tradition dictates, you will say this is because the size difference in the land area, but lets look at that.

DFW has 8991 square miles of land. The Delaware Valley has 4982 square miles of land. Yes, the DFW metroplex is 55% bigger. But its growing 10 times faster. The arguement that the growth is because of the size would only work if DFW 1000% larger and it isnt.
He does(rainrock) make a point, which should be addressed.... the Dallas metro is about one third larger than the geographic area of Philadelphia; from the numbers you both have presented.....I think that is his point.

Arguably; there are counties around Philly that "seem" as if they should be included in the CMSA. I do not know Dallas well enough to comment on whether it too has other Metros/counties; that should also be included in it's CMSA.

Allentown and Reading should be in the CMSA(IMHO)...adding well over another MILLION, just with these two. There also is Lancaster, York etc....which have another MILLION plus; that's over 2+ MILLION more.....this is where we digress...Philly really is "hemmed" in and soon...these other Metros will be part of the CMSA(though probably not in this census).

The TV market share is a more accurate portrayal of Philly's influence...and "Greater Area".....though not the Census designated CMSA..

Old 12-12-2009, 01:52 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,867 times
The only redeeming quality of Dallas... beautiful women. They win that comparison with almost any coty.

Other than that and Deep Elum, they got nothin.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
He does(rainrock) make a point, which should be addressed.... the Dallas metro is about one third larger than the geographic area of Philadelphia; from the numbers you both have presented.....I think that is his point.

Arguably; there are counties around Philly that "seem" as if they should be included in the CMSA. I do not know Dallas well enough to comment on whether it too has other Metros/counties; that should also be included in it's CMSA.

Allentown and Reading should be in the CMSA(IMHO)...adding well over another MILLION, just with these two. There also is Lancaster, York etc....which have another MILLION plus; that's over 2+ MILLION more.....this is where we digress...Philly really is "hemmed" in and soon...these other Metros will be part of the CMSA(though probably not in this census).

The TV market share is a more accurate portrayal of Philly's influence...and "Greater Area".....though not the Census designated CMSA..
I dont think so. There are areas outside the Dallas TV market share that watch Dallas TV (like Waco or the Tyler-Longview area), but they dont belong in the Metro area or the CSA in any way.

Also the size of DFW has nothing to do with the growth. People are flocking here at an unprecidented rate. Most of this is because of the job market. So in 5 years or so, this will all be moot.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
The only redeeming quality of Dallas... beautiful women. They win that comparison with almost any coty.

Deep Ellum? Lower Greenville, Knox-Henderson, and Uptown are all better than Deep Ellum.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:

Dallas has a much larger and more exciting gay nightlife than Philadelphia. That's another redeeming quality of Dallas...I know there are many more.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:39 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Dallas has a much larger and more exciting gay nightlife than Philadelphia. That's another redeeming quality of Dallas...I know there are many more.

I'm not a redeemer. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:
I'm not a redeemer. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
You're a closet redeemer then...because you redeemed in your previous post: "The only redeeming quality of Dallas... beautiful women."

Old 12-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Dallas is home to several high profile gay celebs including George Michael and Steve Kemble (celebrity designer, fashion critic, and event planner).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City