Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,221,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

http://www.mdp.state.md.us/msdc/Stat..._Estimates.pdf

Even if Mercer county was apart of the CSA, but this point DFW will be bigger.
The idea of Mercer County not being part of Philadlephia would be akin to Tarrant county not being part of the Dallas-FW CSA. Absurd.

Also keep in mind that the Dallas metro is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000-11,000 sq miles. Wash-Bal combined metro parameters seem limitless. Philadlephia on the otherhand gets cooped up in a 5,000 sq mile box. If you look at that maps of the Philly area I presented the green box is the metro 5,000 sq miles/ 6.3 M people.The second photo is of the Tv market area which is equivalent in geographical size to Dallas/Chicago/Houston it is 10,000 sq miles/ 9,250,000 people.

I dont have the answers of why Fredricksburg Va and Havre De Grace MD(150 miles apart) are allowed to be part of the same CMSA yet Philadlephia and Atlantic City which are 55 miles apart are not part of the same metro. Please dont tell me about commuter patterns as ther are probably 20x as many people commuting between Philly and AC or Philly and Trenton as their are Fredericksburg Va to Havre De Grace Md.

Last edited by rainrock; 12-11-2009 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 10:08 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The idea of Mercer County not being part of Philadlephia would be akin to Tarrant county not being part of the Dallas-FW CSA. Absurd.

Also keep in mind that the Dallas metro is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000-11,000 sq miles. Wash-Bal combined metro parameters seem limitless. Philadlephia on the otherhand gets cooped up in a 5,000 sq mile box. If you look at that maps of the Philly area I presented the green box is the metro 5,000 sq miles/ 6.3 M people.The second photo is of the Tv market area which is equivalent in geographical size to Dallas/Chicago/Houston it is 10,000 sq miles/ 9,250,000 people.

I dont have the answers of why Fredricksburg Va and Havre De Grace MD(150 miles apart) are allowed to be part of the same CMSA yet Philadlephia and Atlantic City which are 55 miles apart are not part of the same metro. Please dont tell me about commuter patterns as ther are probably 20x as many people commuting between Philly and AC or Philly and Trenton as their are Fredericksburg Va to Havre De Grace Md.
Actually its not like that at all. Not having Wilmington would be like Dallas not having Fort Worth.

Why do you keep exaggerating the DFW metro? You do this over and over again and its getting annoying. The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is 8,991 square miles of land.

To go even further, in the DFW metroplex 5.4 Million people live 3,480 square miles of land.

Lets also talk about growth, shall we?

Between 2000 and 2008, the DFW metroplex has added 1,138,462 people. Thats more than any other metro area in the US period.
Between 2000 and 2008, the Delaware Valley added 151,324 people.

Now if tradition dictates, you will say this is because the size difference in the land area, but lets look at that.

DFW has 8991 square miles of land. The Delaware Valley has 4982 square miles of land. Yes, the DFW metroplex is 55% bigger. But its growing 10 times faster. The arguement that the growth is because of the size would only work if DFW 1000% larger and it isnt.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:08 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Quote:
Actually its not like that at all. Not having Wilmington would be like Dallas not having Fort Worth.

Why do you keep exaggerating the DFW metro? You do this over and over again and its getting annoying. The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is 8,991 square miles of land.

To go even further, in the DFW metroplex 5.4 Million people live 3,480 square miles of land.

Between 2000 and 2008, the DFW metroplex has added 1,138,462 people. Thats more than any other metro area in the US period.

Now if tradition dictates, you will say this is because the size difference in the land area, but lets look at that.

DFW has 8991 square miles of land. The Delaware Valley has 4982 square miles of land. Yes, the DFW metroplex is 55% bigger. But its growing 10 times faster. The arguement that the growth is because of the size would only work if DFW 1000% larger and it isnt.
I know this is a little off topic but do you think Dallas gets overshadowed by Houston as the #1 city in Texas in terms of Popularity and Economic
Power in the state?

Old 12-11-2009, 11:26 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,221,706 times
Quote:

But Philadelphia has 5.1 M people living in roughly 2,000 sq miles of land.

Look we can play my manipulative angle can beat your manipulative angle all day long but that would be silly.

Bottom line is that at similar geographical parameters to Dallas(9,000 sq mi) Philadlephias gets shortchanged about 3-4 M people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10

But Philadlephia had its population boom period 150 years ago while much of Dallas was a cow pasture. Times move on and unsustained growth of 20%-30%-40% is virtually impossible. And yes the fact that the Dallas metro is 55% larger in area than philly will significantly add to those statistics , eventhough I agree with you that Dallas would still be growing at a much quicker pace than Philly. Different life cycles. Dallas's growth will slow down too as it continues to age. The older it gets the slower it will grow.[/quote]

Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I know this is a little off topic but do you think Dallas gets overshadowed by Houston as the #1 city in Texas in terms of Popularity and Economic
Power in the state?
No.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,754,249 times
Quote:
Power in the state?
I always thought it was the other way around. That Dallas was more popular and had more economic clout, desipte it being smaller than Houston.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Power in the state?
Not really. Dallas and Houston are more like siblings than anything. They have a rivalry, but if you mess with one, the other will come down on you.

Dallas and Houston contribute different things. Houston is the bigger city and Dallas/Fort Worth a larger population center (metro area). Houston has an economy where are couple of industries contribute a large amount and Dallas and DFW have a more diversified economy. Houston is more well known in worldwide business circles and Dallas is more well known in popular culture worldwide.

I dont really think either place overshadows the other. Comparing Dallas and Houston isnt like comparing Philly with New York.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I always thought it was the other way around. That Dallas was more popular and had more economic clout, desipte it being smaller than Houston.
Its pretty even in economic clout, just on different levels. Houston has more clout in one or two huge industries and Dallas has more clout in about 10 smaller industries. Its pretty even.

In terms of popularity, see my reply above.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,754,249 times
Quote:
Not really. Dallas and Houston are more like siblings than anything. They have a rivalry, but if you mess with one, the other will come down on you.

Dallas and Houston contribute different things. Houston is the bigger city and Dallas/Fort Worth a larger population center (metro area). Houston has an economy where are couple of industries contribute a large amount and Dallas and DFW have a more diversified economy. Houston is more well known in worldwide business circles and Dallas is more well known in popular culture worldwide.

I dont really think either place overshadows the other. Comparing Dallas and Houston isnt like comparing Philly with New York.
I would disagree totally with the comment bolded above. Dallas is a very well known business city, I would think more so than Houston. I'd also say its home to more known household names too, companies like like Exxon, AT&T, JC Penny, Southwest airlines, Neiman Marcus, etc.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I would disagree totally with the comment bolded above. Dallas is a very well known business city, I would think more so than Houston. I'd also say its home to more known household names too, companies like like Exxon, AT&T, JC Penny, Southwest airlines, Neiman Marcus, etc.
It depends on the industry and what reigon of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City