Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What does land area have to do with anything? Just face it. The DFW area is growing at a much faster rate than the Philadelphia area. And there's no end in site. Job growth, col, its a fun place, who knows. Lots of people are moving there.
Dallas is growing at a faster rate but even you must understand that it has to be put into consideration when comparing it to the Philly area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
Why do you think this doesn't matter. That is exactly the point! We can play the same game with Philadelphia and say this many people only live on this much land and so on. That's not what we are trying to do. The point is that the Dallas metro is huge, and it's difficult to justify why it is so. Despite the fact that the Dallas metro is growing much faster than Philly's (and Philly's metro has a nice sustainable growth rate I think), it doesn't change the fact that there are a lot more people living around Philly than Dallas. Take a 75 to 100 mile radius around each city and Philadelphia will have a lot more people living around it. Of course this means that it is going into other metro areas (NY and Baltimore), but that is exactly in Philadelphia's advantage. It is in the middle of the Northeast Megalopolis. Metro areas have similar population, but there are more people within the Philly region. Period.
Excellent point.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I could make the same case for the Pinelands with is over 1000 sq. miles.

It still doesn't change the fact that the Dallas MSA is still much larger land area. Why are you trying get around that.
And I can see my point went way over your head.

Im not even comparing Dallas and Philadelphia. My point is that, for whatever reason, Philly posters like to throw out a 10,000 square mile figure as if thats the reason DFW is growing so fast. The reason its growing so fast is because jobs are coming hard and fast within the roughly 3,500 square miles of DFW thats actually populated. 6,500-7,000 square miles of "DFW" is ranch and farm land.

You can cling to your useless exaggerations (I know you will), but it doesnt change anything.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
I could make the same case for the Pinelands with is over 1000 sq. miles.

It still doesn't change the fact that the Dallas MSA is still much larger land area. Why are you trying get around that.
I think all he was saying is that the majority of residents in DFW lives in less than half of those square miles. It's over 10k sq miles. But not even close to that is developed and probably most of it never will.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
And I can see my point went way over your head.

Im not even comparing Dallas and Philadelphia. My point is that, for whatever reason, Philly posters like to throw out a 10,000 square mile figure as if thats the reason DFW is growing so fast. The reason its growing so fast is because jobs are coming hard and fast within the roughly 3,500 square miles of DFW thats actually populated. 6,500-7,000 square miles of "DFW" is ranch and farm land.

You can cling to your useless exaggerations (I know you will), but it doesnt change anything.
When did I ever say Dallas wasn't growing fast? Your missing the point again.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 08-18-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,112,167 times
Poll Question #1: Which City Is More Important?

I think importance to the country is pretty objective - Dallas > Philly

Poll Question #2: Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?

This question is obviously 100% subjective. And I would choose Philly for the big city feel.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:32 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,858,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Honey bees aren't native to America. It's not good for the economy of imported crops, but I'm not going to lose too much sleep if America loses its bees (though I do prefer to have them).

Old 08-18-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
When did I ever say Dallas wasn't growing fast? Your missing the point again.
No, Im not. Your point is that Dallas is growing fast because of the metro areas square mileage. My point is that is not true since most of the square mileage is uninhabited.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
No, Im not. Your point is that Dallas is growing fast because of the metro areas square mileage. My point is that is not true since most of the square mileage is uninhabited.
Like I said already, you can make the same case for the Philly area. You keep on digging yourself into a hole and it is entertaining to say the least. lol.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Like I said already, you can make the same case for the Philly area. You keep on digging yourself into a hole and it is entertaining to say the least. lol.
Im not even talking about Philly. Maybe you can make the same case for Philly (I havent done the math). Im saying that your continued claims about the reasons for the population of DFW is dead wrong. Youre the one digging the hole since you keep repeating false statements in hopes some one is stupid enough to believe you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City