Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 11:16 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Atlanta downtown is over hype and people make it seem like atl pop 400,000 residents with a suburban metro of 5 million have a downtown that very weak with a hole in the view lol.

Of the large sunbelt cities I find Atlanta most vibrant especially with the Midtown area which for the most part directly connects to the CBD with greater cohesion. Atlanta is arguably a top ten DT or definately a top 15 DT in the US.

On the metro though it is extremely sprawled and disjointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Downtown Houston is dead.
Sure. Go tell Sundance and all of the other new places in the middle of downtown.

Yeah, downtown nightlife (Main Street) was a lot more hopping a decade ago before Washington Ave and Midtown became popular. But to say it's dead is plain wrong.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:21 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post
Actually I'd say you just don't understand how the hotel industry works.

At the risk of revealing too much info, they worked for Hyatt for many years. Outside Bastrop is the Hyatt Lost Pines resort, rated #4 in the whole Hyatt chain. Yes, people do move to places like Bastrop because of their jobs and now they moved out because the town burned to the ground. Simple as that.

I hope you appreciate my effort to explain all this.

Austin Hotels- Hyatt Regency Lost Pines- Austin Texas Hotel, Resort Reservations
I definitely do.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Sure. Go tell Sundance and all of the other new places in the middle of downtown.

Yeah, downtown nightlife (Main Street) was a lot more hopping a decade ago before Washington Ave and Midtown became popular. But to say it's dead is plain wrong.
It's dead.
To say its anything but dead is wrong. Maybe on the death bed.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Atlanta downtown is over hype and people make it seem like atl pop 400,000 residents with a suburban metro of 5 million have a downtown that very weak with a hole in the view lol.
What?

At any rate, you've never been here, so your opinion means nothing.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
It's dead.
AK123 has atleast made some points. Since you seem to feel so strongly, why not counter what he/she is saying, with some equally worthwile points?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Of the large sunbelt cities I find Atlanta most vibrant especially with the Midtown area which for the most part directly connects to the CBD with greater cohesion. Atlanta is arguably a top ten DT or definately a top 15 DT in the US.

On the metro though it is extremely sprawled and disjointed.
Downtown or Midtown? These are two seperate districts.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
Quote:
It's dead.
Proof?
You and other bashers can keep saying otherwise until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't make it true. Unless of course you think anything is "dead" unless it's the Vegas Strip or Bourbon St.

New places like I've mentioned don't open in areas that are "dead." They do something called market research prior... why would they willingly want to lose money or operate business at a loss?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Downtown or Midtown? These are two seperate districts.
Well I personally prefer Midtown but they connect far better than say Houston's DT and say Midtown Houston as an example making it feel larger, more vibrant and cohesive. The void in between in the latter decreases the vibrancy in the borader DT for me personally. Though I would also to me personally Houston has more areas of interest overall when compared to Atlanta. Atlanta is just more vibrant and cohesive in its DT. Guess there are pros and cons to both as neither offer the urban environment I prefer but Midtown and the connected DT in Atlanta come pretty close IMHO.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Proof?
You and other bashers can keep saying otherwise until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't make it true. Unless of course you think anything is "dead" unless it's the Vegas Strip or Bourbon St.

New places like I've mentioned don't open in areas that are "dead." They do something called market research prior... why would they willingly want to lose money or operate business at a loss?
Dead is probably inaccurate though for a city of its size it can be a little underwhelming honestly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City