Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 08:46 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times

Advertisements

lol at this thread...

Old 12-23-2009, 08:47 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
haters suck..

Old 12-24-2009, 07:49 AM

674 posts, read 1,813,668 times
My response to this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTBPdVpdMc

Old 12-24-2009, 08:02 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
But wait.

War was out of LA weren't they.

You added a whole new element to the thread.

Look out.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:28 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
So anything yet on culture from nj. Im curious

Old 12-25-2009, 12:36 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNetsFan5152433 View Post
New Jersey is continually bashed and the false stereotypes go over the wall. However, the media only shows these negatives of New Jersey, and the rest of the country believe what they see. They think of this beautiful state as a guido-infested stinkhole, when it's not. If a New Jerseyan speaks the truth and says otherwise, the people will have none of it as they think the New Jerseyan is only defending his state. I'm not getting into this Outer Boroughs vs. NJ thread, because I was raised in Queens, NY and now live in New Jersey. Theyre both the same to me, both have outstanding cultures and contributed in many ways to society today. This argument is about which contributions are more famous, and that's just a stupid idea.
Same boat. I was raised in Queens and now live in NJ too. I agree %100

Old 12-25-2009, 06:56 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Look, I'm from South Jersey, all this crap I've read that's in the Bronx and world famous I've never heard of (with the exception of the zoo, and that wasn't until I went to college in North Jersey, normally we go with the Cape May Zoo or the Philadelphia Zoo)

Overall, I think NJ's cultural significance is more subtle, and about as distinguishable from NY's as an albino polar bear with it's eyes and mouth shut in a blizzard buried in snow.

NJ's probably made more cultural contributions than any of us realize, from the Phonograph to the moving picture.

As for the whole Ellis Island, Liberty Island, and Staten Island thing, when you look at a map, they are geographically closer to NJ than NYC. Both Ellis and Liberty Islands are in NJ's waters and have always been. NJ provides all of their utilities. SI is more connected to NJ than to NY and Ellis island has a causeway to NJ for construction vehicles.

also one more thing that REALLY surprised me, the lack of rock stations in NY. I can only find one.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:18 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
So anything yet on culture from nj. Im curious
Yeah, I posted about 25 cultural contributions from NJ in the NJ vs LI thread. You only listed about 3 from the Bronx.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:20 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Yeah, I posted about 25 cultural contributions from NJ in the NJ vs LI thread. You only listed about 3 from the Bronx.

Merry Christmas.
Any state should be able to list atleast 30, of course. The three i mentioneed from the bronx, including the other boroughs were bigger cultural identifiers than anything you said. The lightbulb is not associated with jersey culturally and just the fact u had to dig seep for that says something.

Culture wise jersey is a vanilla as Connecticut or Rhode island. Happy holiday's

Ellis iisland and the statue of liberty are located on a body of water and are culturally connected to nyc

And speaking of stations, does nj have their own radio stations?

Old 12-26-2009, 05:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
  • WBGO (88.3 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: NEWARK PUBLIC RADIO INC.)
  • WPAT-FM (93.1 FM; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WPAT LICENSING, INC.)
  • WSOU (89.5 FM; SOUTH ORANGE, NJ; Owner: SETON HALL UNIVERSITY)
  • WFME (94.7 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
  • WCAA (105.9 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP. ("WADO"))
  • WHTZ (100.3 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
  • WPST (97.5 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: NASSAU BROADCASTING II, L.L.C.)
  • WWFM (89.1 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: MERCER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
  • WTTH (96.1 FM; MARGATE CITY, NJ; Owner: EQUITY COMMUNICATIONS, L.P.)
  • WFPG-FM (96.9 FM; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Owner: MILLENNIUM ATLANTIC CITY LICENSE HOLDCO, LLC)
  • WZBZ (99.3 FM; PLEASANTVILLE, NJ; Owner: EQUITY COMMUNICATIONS, L.P.)
  • WAYV (95.1 FM; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Owner: EQUITY COMMUNICATIONS, L.P.)
  • WPUR (107.3 FM; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Owner: MILLENNIUM ATLANTIC CITY LICENSE HOLDCO, LLC)
  • WMGM (103.7 FM; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Owner: SOUTH JERSEY RADIO, INC.)
  • WAJM (88.9 FM; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Owner: ATLANTIC CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION)
  • W230AA (93.9 FM; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Owner: MERCER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
  • W207AB (89.3 FM; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
  • WXGN (90.5 FM; EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, NJ; Owner: JOY BROADCASTING, INC.)
  • WOJZ (104.9 FM; EGG HARBOR CITY, NJ; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF EGG HARBOR LICENSEE, L.L.C.)
  • WIXM (97.3 FM; MILLVILLE, NJ; Owner: MILLENNIUM ATLANTIC CITY II LICENSE HOLDCO, LLC)
  • WRTQ (91.3 FM; OCEAN CITY, NJ; Owner: TEMPLE U. OF THE COMMONWEALTH SYSTEM)
  • WKOE (106.3 FM; OCEAN CITY, NJ; Owner: OCEAN COMMUNICATIONS)
  • WTKU (98.3 FM; OCEAN CITY, NJ; Owner: SOUTH JERSEY RADIO, INC.)
  • WNJN-FM (89.7 FM; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Owner: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC BCSNTG AUTHORITY)
  • WLFR (91.7 FM; POMONA, NJ; Owner: STOCKTON STATE COLLEGE)
  • WBHX (99.7 FM; TUCKERTON, NJ; Owner: PRESS COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
  • WNJS-FM (88.1 FM; BERLIN, NJ; Owner: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
  • WJSE (102.7 FM; PETERSBURG, NJ; Owner: PARINELLO ENTERPRISES, INC.)
  • WMGQ (98.3 FM; NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ; Owner: THE SENTINEL PUBLISHING CO.)
  • WKXW-FM (101.5 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: MILLENNIUM CENTRAL NEW JERSEY LICENSE HOLDCO, LLC)
  • WNJT-FM (88.1 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC BRD/CST AUTHORITY)
  • WPRB (103.3 FM; PRINCETON, NJ; Owner: PRINCETON BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
  • WTHK (94.5 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: NASSAU BROADCASTING II, L.L.C.)

Yes, 100.3 (Z 100) broadcasts from Newark, NJ as a Tri state station.

~~
Someone created Hip-hop in the Bronx the same way someone created light in NJ; The only reason why I see you arguing this point as "not associated" with NJ is because you know it's a better invention than hip hop.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City