Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:11 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
This thread is about cultural significance. Now take this in, If Ellis island and the statue of liberty culturally signify with new york than whats the point of mentioning that its halfway in jersey. You tell me

Ri and MA have there own distinct new england accents. To me we dont sound alike. And like i said this is not something i just thought it would be fun to say. This came from jersians
Because ellis island IS 'half' in NJ. That's just a testament to the cultural similarities of the two locations.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:17 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Because ellis island IS 'half' in NJ. That's just a testament to the cultural similarities of the two locations.
Aight man whatever. All im trying to say is that ellis island culturally is linked to new york regardless. The fact that jerseyans are arguing over things new york already has is a testament to what im trying to say

Old 12-23-2009, 03:19 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Quote:
This thread is about cultural significance. Now take this in, If Ellis island and the statue of liberty culturally signify with new york than whats the point of mentioning that its halfway in jersey. You tell me

Ri and MA have there own distinct new england accents. To me we dont sound alike. And like i said this is not something i just thought it would be fun to say. This came from jersians
I didn't mention it in this particular thread. Your the one that brought up lady liberty So there's no way for me to answer.

The new england accent was developed from European immigration as well (mainly Irish). What aren't you getting, seriously? You're so stubborn.
The mid-west had a totally different chain of immigrants causing their accent to be completely different from the NYC accent.. Therefore NYC can't claim New Jersey's accent since accents derive from immigration.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Aight man whatever. All im trying to say is that ellis island culturally is linked to new york regardless. The fact that jerseyans are arguing over things new york already has is a testament to what im trying to say

Again, if you say so

Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 PM

So now nyc has nothing to do with the jersey accent at all?. This is something yall came up with not me

And i brought up the statue of liberty as an example of leeching, just like ellis island. Same thing

Old 12-23-2009, 03:33 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
All I know is that I see the Statue of Liberty from my bedroom, I dock my boat in her shadow, and the Statue itself sits in NJ waters. Whether NYC claims ownership, I could care less, and neither should anybody else. It's located in NJ waters, and is shared by NY, NJ, and the world, as a symbol of our freedom.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
So now nyc has nothing to do with the jersey accent at all?. This is something yall came up with not me

And i brought up the statue of liberty as an example of leeching, just like ellis island. Same thing
Leeching in NJ waters?

If anything it's the other way around

Old 12-23-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
All I know is that I see the Statue of Liberty from my bedroom, I dock my boat in her shadow, and the Statue itself sits in NJ waters. Whether NYC claims ownership, I could care less, and neither should anybody else. It's located in NJ waters, and is shared by NY, NJ, and the world, as a symbol of our freedom.
First of all to you personally. I looked at the bronx thread and you claimed nj scores a touchdown the bronx gets a safety.lol

You compare the bronx, a borough with a outdated stigma to the whole northern portion of a state. Jersey gets wacked on so much that you needed that, something to gang up on. There are more jersey poster here than bronx first of all. Second of all i never said the bronx had more merits than the whole north jersey, i said the bronx was more culturally relevant than any city in new jersey which is true and being proven in this thread. So fall back.

The statue of liberty is a gift given to new york city. New york technically shares it with new jersey dont get it twisted. The statue of liberty faces new yorks direction. It was never meant to be "shared" with new jersey. And this thread is about cultural significance , and the statue is culturally linked to new york

Old 12-23-2009, 04:05 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Quote:
First of all to you personally. I looked at the bronx thread and you claimed nj scores a touchdown the bronx gets a safety.lol

You compare the bronx, a borough with a outdated stigma to the whole northern portion of a state. Jersey gets wacked on so much that you needed that, something to gang up on. There are more jersey poster here than bronx first of all. Second of all i never said the bronx had more merits than the whole north jersey, i said the bronx was more culturally relevant than any city in new jersey which is true and being proven in this thread. So fall back.

The statue of liberty is a gift given to new york city. New york technically shares it with new jersey dont get it twisted. The statue of liberty faces new yorks direction. It was never meant to be "shared" with new jersey. And this thread is about cultural significance , and the statue is culturally linked to new york
Um ... it's NJ's stigma that is outdated.

Jersey City and Hoboken have more cultural activity than the Bronx. With 1/4 the population! Where can one see live music in the Bronx? Famous concert festivals? Any good museums up there? Artist scenes? Any good restaurant rows outside of Arthur Ave? I don't think there are.

I thought you knew so much about NY? More than me, even, you claimed the other day. If you did, you'd know that the Statue of Liberty was placed facing where the Verrazano Bridge now stands ... to WELCOME the immigrants coming into Ellis Island (NJ & NY...but mostly NJ). It was placed there as a welcoming face, as if to say "Welcome, this is the land of the free". All of the immigrant ships came from the Atlantic Ocean, in between Staten Island and Brooklyn, and up through the harbor to Ellis Island. You can read primary sources from journals and diaries describing immigrants excitement when they saw the Statue looming in the distance. THIS is why the Statue faces the direction that it does.

Ugh, your NYC-centric attitude turns my stomach. To think that the Statue faces NY, just to face NY. You're quite silly. At least you learned something today.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:13 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Jersey gets wacked on so much that you needed that, something to gang up on.
Lets not fool ourselves. You are certainly looking for validation & fulfillment yourself (as evident by your constant need to interject in a thread about NJ & LI).

You were itching to make this thread & you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City