Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:10 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
"poised to be" is different from "is."
"we have a lot of the right ingredients to bring something fantastic..." is different from "we are fantastic."

It sounds like great things are happening in Augusta, but it also sounds like they have a very long way to go to beat out cities such as Houston, Atlanta, even Birmingham for "THE MEDICAL CENTER" title.
Yeah, I forgot about Birmingham. UAB really doesn't get the credit it deserves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
That's a old picture of Augusta's skyline. Plus what does high-rises have to do with anything. Houston metro is over 5 million people. Of course its going to have more high-rises. Augusta has two skylines downtown and the Medical District. With a metro of only 540k. There are several buildings 9-13 stories in the Medical District. Were comparing the quailty of the Medical communities.
First of all, I was saying that the Texas Medical Center(which is about 95% hospitals, educational facilities, and other health institutions of that sort) has more buildings or highrises in just that one district than all(not just health-related) the buildings or high-rises of Central GA/Augusta's MSA. Which just makes you realize how important and huge the TMC really is. I wasnt comparing cities, i was pointing out that the amount of health-related buildings just in the TMC, is probably more than all the buildings in Augusta's MSA or region.

And that photo was dated from 2007, so it couldn't be that old.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:30 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Houston TMC easily.

Atlanta CDC/Emory.

I thought that Durham nicknamed itself "Medicine City" because of Duke.

UAB in Birmingham.

Sorry we're raining on your homerism party-of-one parade for Augusta, but hey, you asked. Not denying the accomplishments of the MCG, but that does not make it THE medical center of the south.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Houston TMC easily.

Atlanta CDC/Emory.

I thought that Durham nicknamed itself "Medicine City" because of Duke.

UAB in Birmingham.

Sorry we're raining on your homerism party-of-one parade for Augusta, but hey, you asked. Not denying the accomplishments of the MCG, but that does not make it THE medical center of the south.
The Medical District in Augusta(the pic i showed) is only MCG and University hospitals downtown. We have MCG, University, VA, Trinity, Doctors, Eisenhower, etc. Doctors hospital is along Interstate 20 in West Augusta. Trinity and the VA are located in Midtown. Eisenhower is located on Ft. Gordon. All these hospitals have a surrounding campus of medical buildings.

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-02-2010 at 08:05 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 08:11 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
TMC in Houston, Scott and White Temple TX

Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Orlando has an up and coming medical "city" that is still being built and isn't expected to be compete till sometime around 2012. But when its done it is expected to be one of the top medical destinations in the country.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
It sounds to me like someone is trying to make a big joke out of someplace called "Augusta" where ever that is.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Quote:
The Medical District in Augusta(the pic i showed) is only MCG and University hospitals downtown. We have MCG, University, VA, Trinity, Doctors, Eisenhower, etc. Doctors hospital is along Interstate 20 in West Augusta. Trinity and the VA are located in Midtown. Eisenhower is located on Ft. Gordon. All these hospitals have a surrounding campus of medical buildings.

Okay, and? You asked for people's opinions and you're getting angry because other people aren't agreeing with your opinion. I guess you're pretty new to this message board/public forum thing, aren't you? I guess we all have to learn somehow...

Like I said, we're not saying that Augusta's hospitals are not important, but there are more well renowned medical centers in the South. I see that the TMC is one of the more popular answers so far. Like I said earlier, you asked.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Augusta is a city of 205,000 people with over 20,000 healthcare professionals. Over $600 million worth of medical related construction going/or starting next year. Augusta is pulling the best and brightest away from bigger cities medical fields. People from New York are a prime example. After our St. Sebastian pkwy is completed in 2010. Were building a Saint Sebastian research park.
We took a doctor away from New York, so we must be amazing! Dude do yourself a favor and stop trying to compare the Augusta medical community to that of major cities. If you wanted to say "Augusta has an impressive medical sector for its size" I think most people would agree with you...however if you're trying to compare it with the big dogs in the South like Houston, Atlanta and the Triangle, you're going to find a lot of people laughing at you.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
This is not even half of the Medical District in Augusta. This is a very tiny portion.

Sept 2008

Dec 2009. The public housing projects are gone. There are cranes now at the site.
So? You can see the massive amounts cranes from all over the city. It has a larger sq ft area than downtown Dallas AND growing rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City