Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Outside of the state:

Houston seems to be viewed as a city of work and business, not fun and play.

Austin is viewed as a city of fun for younger white people. Minorities have little interest in Austin.

Dallas is the most popular city over all (at least in name). Like Houston, its mostly viewed of as a city to work in, but it markets itself alot better than Houston. For that reason, its nightlife, shopping, and culture are more well known outside of the state (even if they are better or not).
Spot on!

When the Texas Relays roll through; you'd think differently lol

Old 01-13-2010, 02:48 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,764,232 times
Quote:
Outside of the state:

Austin is viewed as a city of fun for younger white people. Minorities have little interest in Austin.

Dallas is the most popular city over all (at least in name). Like Houston, its mostly viewed of as a city to work in, but it markets itself alot better than Houston. For that reason, its nightlife, shopping, and culture are more well known outside of the state (even if they are better or not).
You would think people would know Houston more by name because it is the bigger city, but that is not the case! I think people know Dallas more because of the Dallas Cowboys! You rarely hear people say the Houston Texans!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:05 PM

450 posts, read 1,407,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
You would think people would know Houston more by name because it is the bigger city, but that is not the case! I think people know Dallas more because of the Dallas Cowboys! You rarely hear people say the Houston Texans!
Well the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area is bigger than Houston in population and people tend to think of big cities as also including the metro. The TV show "Dallas" also gave the city more spotlight than Houston in pop culture.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Outside of the state:

uhhh i don't know about this. dallas might be more popular in california, but in the places i've been out of state (mostly the southeast) houston is without a doubt the more well known city. in recent years, most notably for its rap scene, the super bowl, and the fact that beyonce is from there. it's also pretty well known because of NASA

and i'll definitely give the edge to dallas for shopping, but houston's nightlife and culture are definitely the more popular. houston's art and theater scenes are widely regarded as the best in texas

when i tell people i'm from texas, the first word out of there mouth is almost always "houston?"

Old 01-13-2010, 03:14 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Austin is like a Texas version of LA.
I don't think so. Austin is smaller known as more of a "white" city while Los Angeles is not.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
uhhh i don't know about this. dallas might be more popular in california, but in the places i've been out of state (mostly the southeast) houston is without a doubt the more well known city. in recent years, most notably for its rap scene, the super bowl, and the fact that beyonce is from there. it's also pretty well known because of NASA

and i'll definitely give the edge to dallas for shopping, but houston's nightlife and culture are definitely the more popular. houston's art and theater scenes are widely regarded as the best in texas

when i tell people i'm from texas, the first word out of there mouth is almost always "houston?"
Dallas has the biggest Arts District in the United States. Dallas-Ft. Worth will host the Super Bowl next year! Jamie Foxx is from the Metroplex!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I don't think so. Austin is smaller known as more of a "white" city while Los Angeles is not.
Yeah you are right!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

Maybe in the South, definately not on the West Coast or in the Midwest. Dallas is definately more popular in those places.

As for which nightlife is more popular, we are going to have to agree to disagree. I do know Houston's nightlife is more popular for African-Americans, outside that, its my opinion (based on being from the west coast and having lived in Chicago) that Dallas' is.

As for culture, Houston's cultural scene has a slight edge, but niether is particularly well known.

As for which city is more well known worldwide, in my opinion, Dallas is slight more well known. However, I think its only because its the media favorite and more popular in pop-culture. In my experience traveling around the world for work, Ive never met a person who hadnt heard of Dallas and Houston even if they didnt know a whole lot about them.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:29 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
As someone who grew up on the west coast, Houston was always more well known among me and my friends...pretty much because of NASA and hip-hop. I knew about Dallas then, but really didn't know a single thing about it other than it was next to Fort Worth, so i didn't pay it much attention. In fact, for many years i thought the Houston metro area was by far the largest in Texas.

edit: Dallas was well known becuase of the Cowboys too...but that was the extent of my Dallas knowledge.

Last edited by rah; 01-13-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 03:32 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Maybe Houston has a marketing or "product placement" issue (among other products/cities). Growing up in NC and subsequently living in GA, I never heard as much about Houston - not much at all really - as I have on this C-D forum. Everything "Texas" we were exposed to or heard about was Dallas, Dallas, Dallas. From sports, to nightlife, to city living, to headline news... it just seemed as if Dallas was THE thing in Texas. Granted, twenty/thirty-somethings don't tend to sit around and talk about oil and medical centers...which seem to be the recurring discussion points when people here discuss Houston's place among peers.

I think the image nationwide is pretty neutral, not because Houston is not worth much more (it seems it is), but perhaps imagewise, Dallas is in the way.
Oh but Dallas IS THE thing in Texas Nah but really though, even myself growing up I always had an image of Houston being a large dirty blah kind of place. Now I know better and know that it is a fun place, but those were the honest impressions I got, coming from its rival and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City