Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Santa Monica 35 63.64%
Miami Beach 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:12 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
well, if you don't like it there why do you live there?
I don't. I live in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 05:14 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Newport Beach, Santa Barbara, Carmel smog....get real skippy... Miami
beach places well below ALL these cities. I would live anywhere in Newport to anywhere in the state of Florida....and compared to California..Florida Sucks!!!!!
Did you even read my thread? I said a tourist SHOULD visit, Newport Beach, Santa Barbara, Carmel, etc. but SKIP LA. There are amazing places in California but I fear tourists will visit LA expecting something "touristy" when in reality it is largely a sprawling mess. California trumps Florida, but AS A TOURIST I'd rather visit Miami Beach over Santa Monica.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Did you even read my thread? I said a tourist SHOULD visit, Newport Beach, Santa Barbara, Carmel, etc. but SKIP LA. There are amazing places in California but I fear tourists will visit LA expecting something "touristy" when in reality it is largely a sprawling mess. California trumps Florida, but AS A TOURIST I'd rather visit Miami Beach over Santa Monica.
oh please.

Last edited by Hollywood Inquirer; 03-01-2010 at 09:52 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Ugly, concrete jungle with smog. If you are interested in beaches, go to Santa Barbara, Carmel, San Diego, Newport Beach. If you are interested in cities, go to San Francisco, Seattle, or Vancouver on the west coast. If you are interested in non-beach outdoors, go to Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, etc. Santa Monica isn't very pretty, doesn't have that much going on, and is stuck in LA which blows.

I don't see ugly, concrete or any of your other blatant generalizations of this city you've probally never steped foot on. I see beauty, sophistication, diverse, and world class, of course you would never know what that is cause you live in San Diego, (no offense to SD rather the poster)

http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~dmlab/iWAT2009/INFORMATION_IMAGES/santa-monica-third-street-promenade-night.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
Nice photos. Here are a few more:

Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post

I don't see ugly, concrete or any of your other blatant generalizations of this city you've probally never steped foot on. I see beauty, sophistication, diverse, and world class, of course you would never know what that is cause you live in San Diego, (no offense to SD rather the poster)

What city is that last picture in, with the farris wheel?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:01 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
^Taken from the famous pier, in Santa Monica.

The view is looking North, towards Pacific Palisades & Malibu.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^Taken from the famous pier, in Santa Monica.

The view is looking North, towards Pacific Palisades & Malibu.
OOOOOOH. I knew it. I knew it was Santa Monica Pier, but I wasn't too sure.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,334 times
living on the Westside of LA, I can easily say that it's better to raise a family in Santa Monica than Miami Beach. Don't get me wrong, the night life in Miami Beach is frenetic & fun (SM is staid & boring in comparison), but at the end of the day, it's the total quality of life that counts for me. The only major prob I can see is the huge transient/homeless population that's taken residence in parks & back alleys. SM has historically been overindulgent to vagrants and I know a couple of my female friends actually worry about their safety after seeing some homeless guy shooting up in a back alley behind their aptmt.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:50 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Between these two places, where would you rather live in?? Which meets the amount of amenities that you desire??
Wow! this is a really tough one for me to answer. I'd probably lean towards living in Miami Beach over Santa Monica if I was making enough money for a few reasons:

First of all, it would be something different than what I've been exposed to so far.

Secondly, I gotta say that the ocean breeze is REALLY nice and fresh. AHHH!
Florida has the nice coastline and it rains in the summer there which adds some variety to the weather. I visited Miami Beach once in March and at that time, the humidity was not present That said, I think the biggest challenge would be how to handle the length of the hot humid days. Both have good food, scenery and coastline. So, all things considered, I'd consider choosing Miami Beach. Its funny that I say that because for years I never even considered living in FL due to the humidity. Its funny how your attitudes can change sometimes isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City