Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these is the most futuristic city?
Dallas 39 17.03%
Houston 30 13.10%
Atlanta 37 16.16%
Las Vegas 41 17.90%
Los Angeles 30 13.10%
Phoenix 12 5.24%
Charlotte 11 4.80%
Miami 29 12.66%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:50 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
It looks cool. But the idea of futuristic is more like this. Tell me if you agree with me tmac9wr.

^^^ Okay, just imagine it without the dumb flying cars lol.

See what I mean, that's "Futuristic" ^^ up there, everything else in this thread is just modern- meaning it's kept up with time and reflects the present.

None of the cities even have a breath of futuristic blood in them right now.

What do you think about the ^^^ above tmac9wr?
Yea I tend to agree with your view of what is "futuristic".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
I'm not much of a fan of Dt Miami core architecture since most of them are copytats. I do like a few of the Bicknell district building, particularly the modern spanish style. Also, the ones by Miami southern extreme of downtown core by the arena. Check the new city hall of San Jose on Flickr.com or Google it with image. That's one of the most futuristic building in America. KidPhlly, I'm just well travelled. I've seen just about all the major cities within the 3 years and know what they're like.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,963 times
Of the ones above, I'm going to say Dallas. However, there are a bunch of other cities that are more futuristic than most of the ones on the list.

I'm going to say the city with the most futuristic skyline is Los Angeles. Every time I drive through and see it in the distance, I think "Sim City."

Old 09-02-2010, 04:51 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I have to disagree. New York actually feels very old and isn't the best representation of American modernity. A large percent of its buildings were contructed in the 1950s or earlier especially away from downtown Manhattan and the financial district. Yes some of the buildings are beautiful like the Empire State Building for example but most of the architecture in New York does not feel very modern. While not in the skyline, the New York subway also feels very old and rundown compared to many other transit systems in the US and other countries.

San Francisco feels more historic with its Victorian homes, cable cars, etc. It was actually one of the oldest cities in the western US. Nearby Silicon Valley does feel very modern but Dallas actually has a futuristic look.

The movie Robocop was actually filmed in Dallas in the late 70s or early 80s I believe as a stand-in for Detroit in the future and it was chosen for the futuristic architecture especially the colorful glass skyscrapers and office towers. In one scene the Reunion Tower is clearly in the background which gives away the filming location.
Robocop was filmed in Atlanta.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:31 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
by 2013-2015 nyc will "feel" futuristic after all the supertalls they ok'd get completed. also while i could agree that the stations feel old, the new trains are very futuristic. they can run without engineers, the voices that read the announcements are computer generated, there are tv's inside of them, the stops are shown on another screen, etc. etc.

not to mention they have to be the newest trains running in america as far as subway systems, go. we just got them a few years ago and all the orders haven't come in, so more are expected. all the old (good) train cars have been or are being phased out. the older models are on their way out, unfortunately.

believe it or not, for an old city, ny has more new things going on and being planned and EXECUTED than like 90% of america.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:09 PM

114 posts, read 200,578 times
Wouldn't suprise me of people from Houston confuse "Futuristic" with the words big and Modern, Houston's buildings are more modern but there's probably like 2 or 1 that looks futuristic, Dallas looks half modern but it's changing to futuristic, and most businesses in Dallas are competing over lights, when Omni Hotel moved to Dallas The Reunion tower added more lights and changed the spheres lights then next thIng yOu know most buildings added lights , and Dallas is adding a lot of high rises (more than Houston) if you don't believe me google Dallas new high rises and conpare it to Houston there should be a big gap between them, and Dallas is ranked 2nd on construction (next to New York ranked number one) Houston is ranked 3rd, the reason I'm comparing Houston to Dallas is because 24 people confused the word Futuristuc with modern and old, and Dallas has more fame and Luxury than Houston (Rectangle shaped buildings aren't Futursitic@ Houston)

Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
It was filmed in Dallas.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Trust me it was in Dallas. Reunion Tower being in the background is actually one of the big bloopers on the part of the fimmakers. They chose to make it in Dallas because of the futuristic look of the city. The movie is actually set in Detroit.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:14 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Trust me it was in Dallas. Reunion Tower being in the background is actually one of the big bloopers on the part of the fimmakers. They chose to make it in Dallas because of the futuristic look of the city. The movie is actually set in Detroit.
He is talking about Robocop 3.It was filmed in Atlanta.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:39 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,481 times
As long as the fate of America is still held in question in these trying times, I'd say Detroit is the most futuristic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City