Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,832 times

Advertisements

I think we can all agree that the area is at least a megaregion (I would still say magaopolis due to the economic ties b/t the Texas Four). Recently they have all been experiencing extreme growth. That said, I wonder what implications all this will have for places in the middle of the triangle such as Waco and the tiny twins (Bryan/College Station).

In the future (very far future) if a Lone Star rail system is set up between the Texas Four, Waco and BCS could experience large growth as well (despite their economies being pea sized compared to the likes of places like Houston and Dallas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 06:01 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
I think we can all agree that the area is at least a megaregion (I would still say magaopolis due to the economic ties b/t the Texas Four). Recently they have all been experiencing extreme growth. That said, I wonder what implications all this will have for places in the middle of the triangle such as Waco and the tiny twins (Bryan/College Station).

In the future (very far future) if a Lone Star rail system is set up between the Texas Four, Waco and BCS could experience large growth as well (despite their economies being pea sized compared to the likes of places like Houston and Dallas).
What are the Texas Four?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
The Austin-Killeen Temple Corridor is well on its way, Austin-San Marcos-New Braunfels-San Antonio is the one that has the most potential because of 35 and the toll road east of it. Bedroom Communites like Kyle-Buda-manchaca are experincing record growth.
Plus the travel between these two cities is amazing especially during the sports and entertaiment seasons (UT, Spurs, NCAA Final Four, SxSW, Texas Relays, ROT Rally, Fiesta. )
So true. The Austin-San Antonio corridor is starting to grow. Espeially driving around San Marcos outlets, the amount of plazas and appartments there building in those areas is helping close that SA-Austin gap.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 PM

46 posts, read 59,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
What are the Texas Four?
Correction the Texas 5 I do want to remind people Fort Worth economy is larger than both San Antonio and Austin.

The Texas 5 Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Austin

Old 04-22-2010, 06:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Another thing I don't think people are taking into consideration is the MASSIVE amount of flights between the Triangle cities on a daily basis. In particular, the Dallas/Ft. Worth - Houston corridor is one the heaviest flown in North America. This incredible amount of flights shrinks distances between the cities to mere minutes, basically.

There is a big reason Southwest Airlines has traditionally been lukewarm at best to high speed rail proposals over the years...........
Good point. I never realized how many people fly between the TX Triangle cities.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
So true. The Austin-San Antonio corridor is starting to grow. Espeially driving around San Marcos outlets, the amount of plazas and appartments there building in those areas is helping close that SA-Austin gap.
Yeah, I travel between SA and ATX every weekend with some friends, and we see a lot of construction going on, homes and neighborhoods being built, new stores and shopping centers coming in.

Out of those 73 miles from Downtown Austin to Downtown San Antonio, there's only about 7-8 miles of rural area. The rest look like suburban cities.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbd51 View Post
Correction the Texas 5 I do want to remind people Fort Worth economy is larger than both San Antonio and Austin.

The Texas 5 Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Austin
Out of the top 25 cities in the country by population within the city, 6 are in Texas.

5 of them are apart of the Texas Triangle. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Austin.

The only one that isn't is El Paso.
Which means if the Traingle cities were to disappear, El Paso would be the center of Texas's attention. And having said that, let's hope nothing ever happens to the Triangle cities, otherwise we're doomed if El Paso is our only hope left...

Old 04-22-2010, 07:01 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,538 times
Don't know if anyone's posted this. Some might find it interesting.

http://www.rpa.org/america2050/sync/...ica2050map.png

file:///F:/Libraries/Pictures/Pictures/Random%20Pics/MapofEmergingUSMegaregions.png (broken link)

Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Another thing I don't think people are taking into consideration is the MASSIVE amount of flights between the Triangle cities on a daily basis. In particular, the Dallas/Ft. Worth - Houston corridor is one the heaviest flown in North America. This incredible amount of flights shrinks distances between the cities to mere minutes, basically.

There is a big reason Southwest Airlines has traditionally been lukewarm at best to high speed rail proposals over the years...........
That is true. The airline industry has always been hostile to high speed rail, since most airline flights aren't long distance (or 1000+ miles), but rather more on the regional level. Southwest is a HEAVY regional carrier, so this would damage their business greatly.

I personally hate flying, and avoid it when I can. In the last 3 years living in the Bay Area, I only flew maybe 4-5 times since I felt like driving was the better option (and cheaper, since I have a fuel efficient car!)

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/rc/reports/2009/1008_air_travel_tomer_puentes/1008_air_travel_report.pdf
(Page 28)

13. DFW-Houston: 2,910,797
34. DFW-San Antonio: 2,116,049
40. Austin-DFW:2,028,399

No numbers are available for Houston-Austin, nor Houston-San Antonio on the Brookings report. If someone could find it, that would be great I am suspecting that within the triangle that there are between 9 (supposing that the Houston-Austin and SA are 1 million each) and 11 million people (supposing that its 2 million each, since it's not on the spreadsheet) flying within the triangle yearly. That's a pretty good number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
Don't know if anyone's posted this. Some might find it interesting.

http://www.rpa.org/america2050/sync/...ica2050map.png
That comes from one of my favorite projection sites.

http://www.america2050.org/megaregions.html (on megaregions in general)
http://www.america2050.org/texas_triangle.html (on the Texas Triangle)

Quote:
Principal Cities: Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio
Population 2000: 16,131,347
Percent of U.S. Population: 6%
Population 2025: 23,586,856
Projected Growth: 46%
2005 GDP: $817,510,000,000
Percent of US GDP: 7%
It's not quite the Northeast yet, but its getting more and more powerful by the day!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I understand where you're coming from on this but this is being nitpicky. I do agree that the BosWash megalopolis is the only region that can call itself that right now in America but even there is still a lot of rural land between the major cities. Especially Baltimore and Delaware. A good 50-60 miles of rural land at that (maybe shorter though).

Well there i definately disagree and i do the drive through there quite often. It is 30 miles from Christiana DE (as dense as much of Houston or Dallas (within the city limits) to White Marsh MD (again well within the Baltimore metro and again as dense much of the areas within the city limits) And that isnt including areas beyond that are mostly developed (Perryville, Joppaville, Harve De Grace etc.)

I am not trying to say TX isnt growing and fast but it isnt even close.

Oshami talked about the 4-5 hour drive; that is Boston to Philly (with traffic) and a little place with 25 million people in the middle.

Mega Region - yes - Economic Powerhouse - Yes

Megalopolis - Not even close - decades and decades away; and i can appreciate the 50 minute flight - I am in Chicago on that flight from where I live, But I am not trying to include that in the NE region

And Southwest just fine here against the Acela. And there is shuttle service galore connecting the NE cities; however because of proximity and rail the shuttle flight service skips the next city. I am not trying to go on overkill here but the discussions of Kileen development making a megalopolis in its current form; no more like a "miniapolis"

Do you guys realize there is basically a city (i think of as towns here) the size of Ft Worth (no disrespect to Ft Worth) every 15-20 miles along almost all of this stretch (Big ones capitilized little ones not from the south)

tysons corner
alexandria/rossly/arlington
DC
bethesda
columbia
Baltimore

actually some space here

wilmington
chester
Philadelphia
camden
trenton
new brunswick
newark
jersey city
NYC
new rochelle
stanford
bridgeport
new haven
hartford

some space here

providence
Boston

in addition the amount of infill to get to Richmond and Norfolk is less than in TX and VA is growing at a pretty good clip

The population differance is nearly 4 times the size and covers an area smaller than the TX triangle

Allright enough of rant; but honestly I think discussing them in the same terms is unrealistic at least for another 50 years

sorry if i got all "city" on you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City