Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2020, 07:24 PM

69 posts, read 70,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Pretty good list.

Since you combined Raleigh with Durham and Greenville with Spartanburg, I think you should've also combined Greensboro with Winston-Salem and then had it in Tier 3. And I agree with the others that Chattanooga should be in Tier 4. Tier 5 should include metro areas like Gainesville and Tallahassee FL, Roanoke VA, Lexington KY, and the Mississippi coast.
Thank you!

I knew, as I said in my post, that I would miss a few.

Last edited by tmullen99; 09-05-2020 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 07:36 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmullen99 View Post
Ill take a stab at this...

Tier 1
Atlanta
Dallas-Fort Worth
Houston
South Florida (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton)*

Tier 2
Austin*
Charlotte
Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Va.Beach/Newport News)*
Nashville
Northern Virginia (If this can be considered separate enough from D.C. to be listed)*
Orlando*
Raleigh-Durham
San Antonio*
Tampa-St. Petersburg*

Tier 3
Birmingham
Jacksonville
Louisville
Memphis
New Orleans
Oklahoma City
Richmond
Tulsa

Tier 4
Asheville, N.C.
Baton Rouge, La.
Charleston, S.C.
Greensboro, N.C.
Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C.
Huntsville, Ala.
Knoxville, Tenn.
Lexington, Ky.
Savannah, Ga.
Winston-Salem, N.C.

Tier 5
Augusta, Ga.
Chattanooga, Tenn.
Columbia, S.C.
Columbus, Ga.
Little Rock, Ark.
Jackson, Miss.
Macon, Ga.
Mobile, Ala.
Montgomery, Ala.
Northwest Arkansas
Pensacola, Fla.
Shreveport, La.

1) I probably missed a few cities/metros/CSAs. These are all the one's I had off the top of my head. If you're thinking of a city I missed. You can probably figure out where I would place said city based on how I placed others in my ranking
2) Population is the main factor in ranking but amenities, shopping, dining, quality of life, access to major sports (to me, pro sports and major NCAA power programs are about the same) etc... were also huge factors in why I ranked cities the way I did.
3) * = cities I don't really consider "Southern"
4) Places I've listed are in alphabetical order and is not any kind of judgement of what area is at the top or bottom of a tier.
Curious as to your thinking of putting Hampton Roads in the same tier as an Austin, Charlotte and Nashville? I guess I would tend to put some of your Tier 3 cities (such as Louisville and Memphis) ahead of Hampton Roads, or at least on par.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:44 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Curious as to your thinking of putting Hampton Roads in the same tier as an Austin, Charlotte and Nashville? I guess I would tend to put some of your Tier 3 cities (such as Louisville and Memphis) ahead of Hampton Roads, or at least on par.
I haven’t done a lot of research on Hampton Roads and it does seem to be kind of the sleeper of the south when it comes to word of mouth but it does have 1.7 million people in its MSA ... not quite the size of Austin, or Charlotte, decently close to Nashville... but it’s fairly in range. I think it fits kind of between Tier 2 and Tier 3 ... Tier 2.5

Old 09-05-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Its borderline. Would be the first metro in Tier Four if it were there. 1.8 million is larger than every other Tier 4 metro. Right below Nashville (1.9 million) which most would consider a SOLID tier 3 city (yes, I do realize Nashville's county music ambiance/tourism is a big factor that makes it pull slightly above its weight class) Hampton Roads is also growing at over 3% which is respectable. Expect it to hit 2 million soon enough.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:08 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
I can understand for economic and population reasons why New Orleans is in tier 3, but it offers much of the same amenities that tier 2 cities do, some more.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:12 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Hampton Roads should be a lower tier and New Orleans should be bumped up a bit.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:11 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
I see your argument. I will say that I have Columbia and 'Nooga at the top of Tier 5. So I could also see it at the bottom of Tier 4. To me, there is a gap... not large but noticeable... between say... Chattanooga and Huntsville or Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg. I also am aware I've missed some cities. As people inform me of the one's I've omitted, I add them to my list.
Columbia belongs in the upper half of Tier 4. It differs from Greenville/Spartanburg in that, like most of the other cities on the list, it is the only principal city in its metro; the delta between its MSA and CSA (which is nearing 1M) populations is less than 200K. Greenville's metro is actually the Greenville-Anderson MSA while Spartanburg has its own MSA but is included in the larger CSA. There's about a 500K or so gap between Columbia's and Greenville/Spartanburg's CSAs which is definitely sizable for regions their size. The Triad of NC is the only CSA larger than the SC Upstate in Tier 4 (but I think it's okay to consider Greensboro and Winston-Salem individually), and after that is Knoxville's just above 1M. Chattanooga's and Columbia's would be next, each being between 900K-1M.

The only gap between Chattanooga and Huntsville would be an economical one due to the high-tech/STEM-oriented nature of Huntsville's local economy primarily. Chattanooga more than makes up for that everywhere else IMO (tourism, infrastructure, amenities, population, etc).

I would also put Savannah at the top of Tier 5.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I can understand for economic and population reasons why New Orleans is in tier 3, but it offers much of the same amenities that tier 2 cities do, some more.
I disagree. New Orleans is tier 3. What amenities besides from region specific local shops/boutiques can you find in New Orleans that you can’t find in say... Birmingham or Memphis? (Two fellow Southern legacy cities/metros I see as interchangeable with NOLA.) Yes I can shop at Saks on Canal Street in New Orleans... but I can also shop at Saks at the Summit in Birmingham. I believe Tulsa also has a Saks and Jacksonville has a Saks and a Nordstrom. I have family in New Orleans so I’m there pretty often. New Orleans has the tourism thing going on with Bourbon Street and such but Memphis has Beale Street. Plus, I’m not aware of any area of New Orleans as nice and exclusive as say Nocatee in the Jacksonville area or Birmingham’s Mountain Brook.

Once you put New Orleans in tier 2... then you’re competing against Charlotte, Nashville, Austin, Orlando, Tampa-St. Petersburg.... NOLA isn’t in the same league as those cities.

Last edited by tmullen99; 09-06-2020 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-06-2020, 09:44 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Ill take a stab at this...

Tier 1
Atlanta
Dallas-Fort Worth
Houston
South Florida (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton)*

Tier 2
Austin*
Charlotte
Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Va.Beach/Newport News)*
Nashville
Northern Virginia (If this can be considered separate enough from D.C. to be listed)*
Orlando*
Raleigh-Durham
San Antonio*
Tampa-St. Petersburg*

Tier 3
Birmingham
Jacksonville
Louisville
Memphis
New Orleans
Oklahoma City
Richmond
Tulsa

Tier 4
Asheville, N.C.
Baton Rouge, La.
Charleston, S.C.
Greensboro, N.C.
Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C.
Huntsville, Ala.
Knoxville, Tenn.
Lexington, Ky.
Savannah, Ga.
Winston-Salem, N.C.

Tier 5
Augusta, Ga.
Chattanooga, Tenn.
Columbia, S.C.
Columbus, Ga.
Little Rock, Ark.
Jackson, Miss.
Macon, Ga.
Mobile, Ala.
Montgomery, Ala.
Northwest Arkansas
Pensacola, Fla.
Shreveport, La.

1) I probably missed a few cities/metros/CSAs. These are all the one's I had off the top of my head. If you're thinking of a city I missed. You can probably figure out where I would place said city based on how I placed others in my ranking
2) Population is the main factor in ranking but amenities, shopping, dining, quality of life, access to major sports (to me, pro sports and major NCAA power programs are about the same) etc... were also huge factors in why I ranked cities the way I did.
3) * = cities I don't really consider "Southern"
4) Places I've listed are in alphabetical order and is not any kind of judgement of what area is at the top or bottom of a tier.
This is pretty bad lol...

Old 09-06-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This is pretty bad lol...
.... well then, tell me what should be moved where. I think it’s pretty consistent. I don’t see how anyone can argue against the cities I’ve listed in Tier 1 belonging there. Charlotte is a very clear “the first city in Tier 2/5th largest metro in the South”. All of the rest of the Tier 2 cities are right at 2 million in the metro or somewhere above that until you get to Charlotte. For clarity, I’ll say that I’d have South Florida (Miami) at the bottom of Tier 1 and that’s a sizable gap from Charlotte if you look at metro population alone. The Tier 3 cities are all between 1 and 1.8 million or so. Only real arguments I’ve heard so far is where I placed cities in Tiers 4 and 5. Cities like Asheville, Charleston and Savannah who would be in Tier 5 based on population alone, got bumped up to Tier 4 due to having a lot of amenities (upscale shopping and dining) and a high quality of life in comparison to other cities their size. For example, yes I listed Jackson, Miss. in Tier 5. Jackson has a higher metro population than Asheville and Savannah and is about dead even with Charleston, but would get blown away by all 3 if you compare the amenities offered in each place. Jackson has nothing like King Street in Charleston, Broughton Street in Savannah, or Downtown Asheville.

Last edited by tmullen99; 09-06-2020 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City