Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more Southern?
Washington DC 34 47.89%
Miami 37 52.11%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
So basically you are stereotyping Maryland which further mutes your argument against the Reality that Maryland is a Southern State........

Just by judging from what you stated its Obvious that you ave not been to other parts of Maryland outside of the Baltimore-Washington Corridor......

Hell Prince Georges County, Maryland is more Southern than Fairfax County, Virginia............
Since when is western MD considered the Baltimore-Washington corridor.
And a never said I haven't been to the eastern shore, i said i cant speak on it, because i dont think the people there were locals..... stop assuming.

Fairfax looks like atlanta, so PG must look like the mississippi delta then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Experienced the Same when I was in Atlanta and especially Miami.....
Baltimore, unlike ATL & MIA, is a local city. So the "Northern" accent u hear is all ours.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM

166 posts, read 367,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Black people in Baltimore & Philly have difference accents.. agreed\
I meant to say white people in Baltimore and philly have similar accents.
I have co-workers from philly and S. jersey that sound like they're from Baltimore.
Oh, my fault. Yeah I agree with you on that, the general accent is very similar from the Baltimore area up thru the Delaware Valley-Philly/S. Jersey area.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:36 PM

166 posts, read 367,235 times
Quote:
Either way you wanna state it, Maryland is a Southern State.....

And the little stereotypes your making just to justify your biased argument against the reality of Maryland being in the south can just as well be said about Virginia(especially Northern Virginia), Florida, and Texas........
Dude...what are you talking about? What biased argument? I'm not even arguing, I'm just adding MY perspective to this discussion based on MY own perceptions. It's not even that serious. If you feel the MD & DC is culturally more aligned with South and not the North, that's cool...that's YOUR perception and how u see it. More power to you. Ultimately, I don't really give a fugg one way or the other.

And what stereotypes are you talking about? I'm talking about the cultural similarities and differences between cities and regions. I LIVE in Baltimore, first came here in '94 to go to college. I'm FROM Philly and drive up there about twice a month. I WORK in DC and I'm down there at least 5 days a week. I LIVED down in Augusta, GA for several years in my teens. I go to Savannah, GA to visit my oldest brother about twice a year. I have relatives and friends throughout the South--Atlanta, Columbia, SC, Charlotte, NC, Fort Lauderdale, FL, etc. I LOVE the South and have nothing against it--that's my family's roots.

Plus I served in the Army during the first Gulf War era and had buddies from all over the country. My closest friend and my girlfriend back then were from Chicago.

If you now hear northern sounding accents in places like Atlanta and Miami, it's because hundreds of thousands of people have migrated to those areas from other parts of the country or from abroad. The long-term natives whose families have always been down there SOUND LIKE IT--and they consider & indentify themselves as SOUTHERNERS.

My paternal side of the family is FROM Maryland and has always been in Maryland--probably since the days of slavery. They don't consider or identify themselves as southerners. Even though some of them still live out in rural areas, and are country as hell, they still don't indentify as "southern." They have their own Maryland accent and culture that is different from any of my people farther in the South. So what are you gonna do--FORCE them to identify and perceive themselves as southern?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,396 times
Quote:
Since when is western MD considered the Baltimore-Washington corridor.
I didn't say that.

Quote:
And a never said I haven't been to the eastern shore, i said i cant speak on it, because i dont think the people there were locals..... stop assuming.
You didn't think the people were locals.....

That made about as much sense than a frog with an antenna sticking out its back.........

Quote:
Fairfax looks like atlanta, so PG must look like the mississippi delta then.
Fairfax County/Arlington looks like Buckhead, Montgomery County looks like North Fulton County, and Prince Georges County looks like Dekalb County and Gwinnett County.........

Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Baltimore, unlike ATL & MIA, is a local city. So the "Northern" accent u hear is all ours.
Northern wannabe to some but Southern twang to Most.........

Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
Oh, my fault. Yeah I agree with you on that, the general accent is very similar from the Baltimore area up thru the Delaware Valley-Philly/S. Jersey area.
Thats funy because when I was in Richmond, Norfolk, and VA Beach I didn't hear the locals speak with a Southern Country Accent.......

Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Dude...what are you talking about? What biased argument? I'm not even arguing, I'm just adding MY perspective to this discussion based on MY own perceptions. It's not even that serious. If you feel the MD & DC is culturally more aligned with South and not the North, that's cool...that's YOUR perception and how u see it. More power to you. Ultimately, I don't really give a fugg one way or the other.

And what stereotypes are you talking about? I'm talking about the cultural similarities and differences between cities and regions. I LIVE in Baltimore, first came here in '94 to go to college. I'm FROM Philly and drive up there about twice a month. I WORK in DC and I'm down there at least 5 days a week. I LIVED down in Augusta, GA for several years in my teens. I go to Savannah, GA to visit my oldest brother about twice a year. I have relatives and friends throughout the South--Atlanta, Columbia, SC, Charlotte, NC, Fort Lauderdale, FL, etc. I LOVE the South and have nothing against it--that's my family's roots.

Plus I served in the Army during the first Gulf War era and had buddies from all over the country. My closest friend and my girlfriend back then were from Chicago.

If you now hear northern sounding accents in places like Atlanta and Miami, it's because hundreds of thousands of people have migrated to those areas from other parts of the country or from abroad. The long-term natives whose families have always been down there SOUND LIKE IT--and they consider & indentify themselves as SOUTHERNERS.

My paternal side of the family is FROM Maryland and has always been in Maryland--probably since the days of slavery. They don't consider or identify themselves as southerners. Even though some of them still live out in rural areas, and are country as hell, they still don't indentify as "southern." They have their own Maryland accent and culture that is different from any of my people farther in the South. So what are you gonna do--FORCE them to identify and perceive themselves as southern?
Hey its not my fault some people refuse to accept Facts of the Reality that Maryland is a Southern State..........

Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that.

You didn't think the people were locals.....

That made about as much sense than a frog with an antenna sticking out its back.........

Fairfax County/Arlington looks like Buckhead, Montgomery County looks like North Fulton County, and Prince Georges County looks like Dekalb County and Gwinnett County.........
You must've been saying that, since u assumed I've never been out of the Baltimore-Washington corridor. And seeing how Kent Island isn't heavily populated, I would think that the people shopping at the outlets weren't from there (including myself). So it completely makes sense.You have a bad habit of assuming, I've noticed.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
I have to disagree because not only do black people from Baltimore and Philly have different accents, the general/white people from each region have different accents different too. The Philadelphia accent is more of a "northern" type of accent imo

Last edited by nephi215; 05-25-2010 at 11:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City