Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more Southern?
Washington DC 34 47.89%
Miami 37 52.11%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1990 View Post
Idk. It seems like the real subway cities are NYC, Chicago, Philly, and Boston. D.C., Baltimore, Miami, ATL, LA, and Bay Area didn't have subways until the 70's and 80's.

Plus more people drive or catch buses in lower mid-atlantic/southern cities than D.C., granted WMATA is #2 at subway ridership in the country. It seem to me like the only reason southern cities don't have larger subways is because people are oh so afraid that add lines would increase crime in other areas . I think thats a myth though, just look at Bethesda, MD. It has subway stops in it and violent crime is very low.
I think politics has as much to do with this than fear of crime. In Houston's case, that's the exact reason why they don't have a larger network of rail. Atlanta is going through the same thing. While Miami's rail is expanding, their current rail is pretty much a joke when it comes to ridership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 05:14 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Why is African American culture all of a sudden Southern? You will find many more "southern" people in DC and its suburbs then Miami. Just drive 10 miles south of DC and you can almost be in the south. They are both on the brink and IMO should not be called southern at all. But I think you will find more southern things in DC.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:20 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
What makes MD southern? Please dont tell me some BS about drinkin sweet-tea on the eastern shore..And the whole mason dixon line situation is null and void.
What makes Maryland not Southern?????

And don't give me some BS Stereotype about the DC-Baltimore Corridor............

Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Why is African American culture all of a sudden Southern? You will find many more "southern" people in DC and its suburbs then Miami. Just drive 10 miles south of DC and you can almost be in the south. They are both on the brink and IMO should not be called southern at all. But I think you will find more southern things in DC.
Your Commentary would be more accurate if you will accept the FACT that Maryland and DC is in the South.......

Old 05-18-2010, 05:31 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
What makes Maryland not Southern?????

And don't give me some BS Stereotype about the DC-Baltimore Corridor............
I didnt think you could... That's why you answer a question with a question.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:45 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
How is DC Southern? DC is "Southern" in the same way Austin TX is "Southern".

Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Thats exactly what I was saying earlier, your not going to go to DC or Miami and see white dudes driving around in muddy pickup trucks with confederate flags hanging from them etc. so in that sense neither city has "southern culture". If though you do include black dudes that wear dreadlocks and things like that then I guess they both do have "southern culture". The whole term "southern culture" needs to be defined a little better.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM

492 posts, read 1,026,761 times
I think "southern" has a different meaning between the races.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
Ok well I don't think either city has much "southern white culture". Both cities have some "southern black culture" lol. This is kinda stupid.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
How are dreds, black people, trucks, etc. southern all of a sudden. Why does southern always have to be some broad ass description that 70% of the people between Texas and Florida don't even fall into?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City