Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more Southern?
Washington DC 34 47.89%
Miami 37 52.11%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,113 times

Advertisements

This is a tough one........ but I'll go with DC since Miami has more of a Hispanic vibe than DC.

To me, the black people in both cities account for much of the southern vibe/culture that you will experience. But when I look at it like that, blacks in Miami are way more southern than blacks in DC, so I guess I'll have to go with Miami as more Southern.

So there, my answer is MI YAYO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Every city listens to Gucci Mane and Young Jeezy though and just about every city has many young adults and teens wearing dreads. Including New York.
Black americans dont wear dreads in ny, that concept stops with nj. The only nyers rocking dreads are rasta's

Old 05-13-2010, 11:12 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've noticed here in Texas that if anyone is wearing dreads; 8 out 10, they're from FL or NOLA. I think the East Coast (NY and FL) has been a huge influence on the dreads scene in southern areas like GA and NC.

Dreads are an epidemic now. At first everyone had braids/cornrows, now its dreads. Its hard for me to say who has influenced the trend the most but I really dont think its the east coast.

When visiting NY, I rarely noticed dreads. But In DC, .... I swear everyone and their mother had 'em.

But I personally feel hip hop (lil wayne especially) has influenced the dreads epidemic a lot over the past few years. He has a lot of clones running around. Im just fine with my dark ceasar though. But I wouldnt credit any particular east coast city with it. Its definitely a south/mid atlantic thing. (and some west coast/bay area)

Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
I've noticed here in Texas that if anyone is wearing dreads; 8 out 10, they're from FL or NOLA. I think the East Coast (NY and FL) has been a huge influence on the dreads scene in southern areas like GA and NC.
Yes. I tell people this all the time. Dreads.are.not.big.in.Texas. Great point polo on bringing up the different type of dreads. They wear them differently in both cities. In fact, it's not even close. In miami, you're going to see this.

IN DC, you're going to see what you see in Atlanta, Charlotte, or New Orleans.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Dreads are an epidemic now. At first everyone had braids/cornrows, now its dreads. Its hard for me to say who has influenced the trend the most but I really dont think its the east coast.

When visiting NY, I rarely noticed dreads. But In DC, .... I swear everyone and their mother had 'em.

But I personally feel hip hop (lil wayne especially) has influenced the dreads epidemic a lot over the past few years. He has a lot of clones running around. Im just fine with my dark ceasar though. But I wouldnt credit any particular east coast city with it. Its definitely a south/mid atlantic thing. (and some west coast/bay area)

This is also true. It seems like everyone has dreads for some reason and they wear a fitted over them as well.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 AM

364 posts, read 717,482 times
Quote:
Every city listens to Gucci Mane and Young Jeezy though and just about every city has many young adults and teens wearing dreads. Including New York.
True, but not to the extent that you hear them played in DC and BMore, they play him more up there than they do down here in the A. And outside of Newark and a few other spots in Jersey, up north cats were not big on dreads at all until recently....Back in the early to mid 90's when cats from the south started to lock their hair up Up north cats were making fun of them. Dreads in places like NY and DC is something new....And Im not talking about the Rastas or the Hebrew Isralites, they of course have been on it. Im talking about the 18 y/o mop head riding the train who locks his hair up because he thinks its cool....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Wasnt that a huge stereotype.. Lol So I guess Spade If I wear a northface and listen to mos def or Nas then im from the North it that what you get from his passage
Is it a sterotype, but sometime sterotypes are true. You cant sit here and act like if you saw a black guy with dreads and gold teeth you wouldnt automatically assume he was from the south. Same with some cat rocking a ceasar and a North Face or a Spyder jacket, I would pretty much assume he was from up north....

Old 05-13-2010, 11:19 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Yes. I tell people this all the time. Dreads.are.not.big.in.Texas. Great point polo on bringing up the different type of dreads. They wear them differently in both cities. In fact, it's not even close. In miami, you're going to see this.

That guy is Haitian. His name is Dr.Zoe, he's a Haitian rapper from Miami. He was actually born n raised in Haiti, he moved to Miami(the Little Haiti neighborhood) later on in life.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:

That is one SCARY looking guy.

Anyways, IMHO, Miami and DC are about equal on southern culture.
DC looks more southern than Miami though, architecturally speaking.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
That's true, I remember seeing alot of people without dreads in TX.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:22 AM

I see what you're saying now Zone2.

Stand corrected KONY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City