Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more Southern?
Washington DC 34 47.89%
Miami 37 52.11%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:11 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
$mk8795, what actually changes from one side of that sign to another??
Maryland is the South.......

Quote:
Is the culture different?
Yes you don't hear Pennsylvania born and raised citezens speak with a southern accent unlike most parts of Maryland........

Quote:
Do u see confederate flags all of a sudden?
Yes

Quote:
Does it feel like DIXIE?? Winn-Dixie super markets?
There are NO Current Win-Dixie Super markets in Virginia..........

Quote:
Does it feel like "Down home"?
As in Soul Food Home Cooking Yes......

Problem with your Judgment of you believing Maryland not being southern is that you have not Traveled to Most parts of Maryland and your judging based on Urbanism of DC and Baltimore....

Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, and Houston are Very Urban Just like the Baltimore-Washington area..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
There are Waffle House's in Pennsylvania more than Maryland actually

Waffle House Restaurant Locator (http://www.wafflehouse.com/welcome/component/content/article/38/79-waffle-house-restaurant-locator - broken link)

I actually find many parts of PA outside of Philly metro, more similart to Virginia than MD...Amish country and much of central PA has much more of a country laid back feel, which people in this threads continue to confuse with southern.

I've never seen a confederate flag in 26 years of living in MD unless it's someone riding up 95 with Alabama plates on the way to New York for sightseeing, so we can throw that thought away.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:53 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There are Waffle House's in Pennsylvania more than Maryland actually

Waffle House Restaurant Locator (http://www.wafflehouse.com/welcome/component/content/article/38/79-waffle-house-restaurant-locator - broken link)

I actually find many parts of PA outside of Philly metro, more similart to Virginia than MD...Amish country and much of central PA has much more of a country laid back feel, which people in this threads continue to confuse with southern.

I've never seen a confederate flag in 26 years of living in MD unless it's someone riding up 95 with Alabama plates on the way to New York for sightseeing, so we can throw that thought away.
And to add to what you're saying, you can find Soul Food in Brooklyn NYC.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,886 times
I've never seen a confederate flag in Miami or South Florida for that matter, but I did see one in Central Florida near Tampa.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 AM

725 posts, read 1,510,060 times
I haven't seen a conferderate flag in Atlanta or Savannah

Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Maryland is the South.......

Yes you don't hear Pennsylvania born and raised citezens speak with a southern accent unlike most parts of Maryland........

Yes

There are NO Current Win-Dixie Super markets in Virginia..........

As in Soul Food Home Cooking Yes......

Problem with your Judgment of you believing Maryland not being southern is that you have not Traveled to Most parts of Maryland and your judging based on Urbanism of DC and Baltimore....

Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, and Houston are Very Urban Just like the Baltimore-Washington area..........
When you say MOST PARTS OF MARYLAND what parts exactly to you mean?

Technically the Mason-Dixon line was a property dispute between MD and PA. Also, if u extend the mason-dixon line further east & west, 25% of NJ would be in south, and part of W.VA would be northern.

I didnt say anything about Soul Food cooking, that's a black thing. Where ever there is black people, there is soul food....so your soul food statement is pointless.

As far as accents go, visit the Baltimore area, Philly area & south NJ....same accent. DC's accent, thought different from Baltimore's, is Not southern. Western MD = central western PA. I cant really speak about the eastern shore.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Yeah MOST people I've met from DC spoke with an "Northern" type accent, same with Bmore.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 AM

213 posts, read 420,930 times
There are a bunch of people in DC that speak with a southern accent. This is not something new!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:33 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
People in Chicago have some southern accents but it doesn't make it southern. Accents, soul food and sweet tea are a stupid way to determine if a city is southern. Steve Harvey sounds like he just stepped off a cotton truck in Alabama but he is from Cleveland. Dave Chapelle has a little southern twang going on but Martin Lawrence doesn't. They both are from DC. The DC accent is more mid atlantic with some northeast influences and a small southern twang. I never heard anyone say Wale had a southern accent.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:35 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
People in Chicago have some southern accents but it doesn't make it southern. Accents, soul food and sweet tea are a stupid way to determine if a city is southern. Steve Harvey sounds like he just stepped off a cotton truck in Alabama but he is from Cleveland. Dave Chapelle has a little southern twang going on but Martin Lawrence doesn't. They both are from DC. The DC accent is more mid atlantic with some northeast influences and a small southern twang. I never heard anyone say Wale had a southern accent.
Only when he says "Murrlyn"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City