Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:12 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times

Advertisements

Kansas City has more in common with Memphis and Nashville than it does with Minneapolis or Fargo. Missouri has more in common with Oklahoma and Arkansas than it does with Minnesota or Michigan. Missouri's culture, economy, history, demographics, weather, topography, and food are all more Southern than Midwestern. MO was a slave state. MO is at the same latitude as Kentucky and Tennessee. Missouri is a Southern state. A Southern state with some Midwest influences, but still a Southern state. Kansas City is definitely Southern. St. Louis does seem somewhat Midwestern, but the South waits immediately outside of the city, in the suburbs and certainly in the rural areas.

I have a hard time calling anything on or below I-70 "Midwestern." I wouldn't even consider cities like Columbus (OH), Dayton, Indianapolis, Springfield (IL), and Wichita truly Midwestern. They have Midwest influence, but they also have Southern influence. The core Midwest states are Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and the Dakotas. The core Midwestern major cities are Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Omaha, Des Moines, Milwaukee, and Madison. Maybe Cleveland, but it seems very Northeastern as well. OH, IN, IL, and KS are either Midwest or South, depending on where you are in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:57 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Kansas City has more in common with Memphis and Nashville than it does with Minneapolis or Fargo. Missouri has more in common with Oklahoma and Arkansas than it does with Minnesota or Michigan. Missouri's culture, economy, history, demographics, weather, topography, and food are all more Southern than Midwestern. MO was a slave state. MO is at the same latitude as Kentucky and Tennessee. Missouri is a Southern state. A Southern state with some Midwest influences, but still a Southern state. Kansas City is definitely Southern. St. Louis does seem somewhat Midwestern, but the South waits immediately outside of the city, in the suburbs and certainly in the rural areas.

I have a hard time calling anything on or below I-70 "Midwestern." I wouldn't even consider cities like Columbus (OH), Dayton, Indianapolis, Springfield (IL), and Wichita truly Midwestern. They have Midwest influence, but they also have Southern influence. The core Midwest states are Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and the Dakotas. The core Midwestern major cities are Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Omaha, Des Moines, Milwaukee, and Madison. Maybe Cleveland, but it seems very Northeastern as well. OH, IN, IL, and KS are either Midwest or South, depending on where you are in the state.
Kansas City is solidly Midwestern, there is a current thread about that, I don't see how you can argue it being Southern.

You do realize that 99% of Missouri is North of Tennessee, right? And that most of Missouri's population in North of Kentucky?

So, because it isn't completely built up all around St. Louis, it is Southern? In that case, Chicagoland contains farms, it must be Southern.

If you ask people in Springfield, Columbus, Dayton, Indianapolis, and Wichita, if they they they are Midwestern and they will agree.

What you are saying about these areas/states would be like me saying Detroit is more Canadian than American because it's right by Canada.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:09 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Quote:

Your issue is that you want to extrapolate the characteristics of your neck of the woods to the entire Midwest, and it just doesn't work that way. Using your logic, Pittsburgh is in the South too, right?

The Midwest is not monolithic, just as the South isn't monolithic, the Northeast isn't monolithic, and the West isn't monolithic. You can't change what is or isn't in a certain area just because those people don't talk or act exactly as you do. While I agree that there is some cultural overlap between regions, that boundary is much smaller than you'd realize. Just look at any dialect, religion, or ethnicity map of the United States; often times, it really does come down to the state line.

I don't even see how this is a question. Columbus, Indianapolis, Springfield, etc are not Southern. They aren't even partially Southern--both geographically and culturally. Most importantly, the natives of those cities considers themselves Midwesterners.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:28 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
To answer the OP's question:

Louisville = Southern
Pittsburgh = Northeastern
Kansas City = Midwestern

Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:

I doubt that KC is like Memphis. I know a girl from KC who came down here for college. She always talks about how it's the biggest culture shock of her life. She is very Northern. I'm not gonna discount KC as Southern based on one person, but KC is pretty far from the South. St. Louis is much closer to the South, but even it doesn't feel very Southern at all.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I doubt that KC is like Memphis. I know a girl from KC who came down here for college. She always talks about how it's the biggest culture shock of her life. She is very Northern. I'm not gonna discount KC as Southern based on one person, but KC is pretty far from the South. St. Louis is much closer to the South, but even it doesn't feel very Southern at all.
That is exactly right. People that think KC is southern have no idea what they are talking about. I don't get that at all. Parts of southern MO maybe, but not StL and certainly not KC.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:06 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
That's the first time I have ever heard an argument for KS, IL, MO, IN, or Ohio being Southern. I do know that these states have Southern characteristics in them but that's mostly proximity issues and in the very far Southern parts of those states. I don't see how anyone can say KC is a Southern city. It does however have a slight similarity with Dallas-FW. But KC has far more in common with Omaha than it does with DFW. Heck, St. Louis could pass off as an East Coast city buy the way it's built, it's density and urbanity. Hell, they call soft drinks, soda like the east coast, instead of Pop like the rest of the Midwest.

I would say this.

KC- solidly Midwestern
Louisville- split between Southern and Midwestern but more Southern. I do think they get more influence from it's Midwestern peers as opposed to the rest of the state.
Pittsburgh- THIS.ONE.IS.HARD. In fact, both L'ville and Pittsburgh is hard. I would say Northeastern due to it's built environment but it's very very close to Midwestern. I think it shares alot in common with Cincinatti but it has much in common with Baltimore as well.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:

I usually have problems with the logic you come up with in your posts, and this post demonstrates that to the fullest. The Midwest is nowhere near as monolithic as you seem to paint it for one thing. The only thing that KC has in common with Memphis is that they both have great barbecue.

Yes, Missouri is a border state in many ways, but to deny it's Midwestern as well as Ohio (seriously?!) is quite inaccurate and disingenuous. The only part of Missouri that is very southern is the Bootheel region in the Southeast. Arizona and Alabama are on the same latitude, but that doesn't make Arizona a Southern State. GTFOH. Columbus and Indianapolis are some of the most "Midwest" cities out there. They definitely aren't Southern in character.

BTW, I was born in Wichita, and it is very much a Midwest city, whether you like it or not. If anything, Kansas straddles the Great Plains and the Midwest, but not the South. You really don't get "southern" until you're well into Oklahoma, and really, Eastern Oklahoma.

Anyhow, BACK ON TOPIC:

Kansas City - Midwestern
Louisville - Southern with heavy Midwestern influences
Pittsburgh - Eastern with heavy Midwestern influences

Last edited by grindin; 05-24-2010 at 07:35 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 04:05 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
This map better answer everybody's question:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PittsburghLouisvilleandKansasCity.png (broken link)

Old 05-25-2010, 12:05 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,339 times
Quote:

Like Fargo to Minneapolis, I'd compare Kansas City with Omaha. Both are kind of mix of great plains and Midwestern influences, not really southern in my opinion(that is closer to St. Louis).

The great plains is really the forgotten region, too often people lump the midwest in with it(see map above) but the great plains is really its own distinct region just like the south or midwest or east coast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City