Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If all you want to do is party, then go to Atlanta.

Atlanta offers far less than San Francisco overall. Once you've driven down Peachtree, gone to the World of Coke, the Aquarium, and Atlantic Station, you're pretty much done with the city.

In SF, there's Land's End, the Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Park, Pacific Coast Highway, Chinatown, Alcatraz, Ghiradelli's and on and on and on and on and on.
I agree that SF has more tourist attractions than Atlanta, but you grossly understated what Atlanta has to offer. There are MANY more things to do than the four things you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:40 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I know a LOT of people from the Bay Area and L.A. here - and they just keep coming!

Very cool about your reunion. What type of venue did you hold it in, if you don't mind my asking?
Certainly.

Well, the W Hotel was our base-its where we all stayed and its where the parties at night were held...but the daytime events were held all over. I had such a good time there with all my friends. Love Atlanta.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
There are 3 medium size cities in bay area, sf, sj, oakland, if you wanted to push it you could add sacramento for another one in the immediate range area. they all feel pretty different if you ask me, vs classical one principal city regions. so you have more options in terms of things in the area, but not that big mega city which everything revolves around. this can be good and bad depending on you look at it. this was partly due to this area of the country developing later than the east coast, and also, have to consider the terrain...hard to build on mountains and water.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
There are 3 medium size cities in bay area, sf, sj, oakland, if you wanted to push it you could add sacramento for another one in the immediate range area. they all feel pretty different if you ask me, vs classical one principal city regions. so you have more options in terms of things in the area, but not that big mega city which everything revolves around. this can be good and bad depending on you look at it. this was partly due to this area of the country developing later than the east coast, and also, have to consider the terrain...hard to build on mountains and water.
Atlanta has begun to branch out to other surrounding cities as well, i.e. the AAA Gwinnett Braves and the new Cobb Performing Arts Center, home of the Atlanta Ballet. It's still a much different situation than having 3-4 large cities in one metro, and Atlanta is still BY FAR the main attraction in the area...but it is gradually becoming less of the only "central" city where everything is located.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:49 PM

221 posts, read 797,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I agree that SF has more tourist attractions than Atlanta, but you grossly understated what Atlanta has to offer. There are MANY more things to do than the four things you mentioned.
Not to mention, the places he bringsup (Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardeli, etc) are the bad tourist spots. North Beach, Union Square, Nob Hill, Chinatown, Haight-Ashbury, the Mission, etc--these are the types of neighborhoods SF should be bragging about, not generic tourist nonsense.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:51 PM

221 posts, read 797,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not sure if Id call 1+ mil pop. and 850,000 pop. medium-sized cities. SJ and SF are not huge, but they are definitely big cities.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
Not sure if Id call 1+ mil pop. and 850,000 pop. medium-sized cities. SJ and SF are not huge, but they are definitely big cities.
Yes, I notice that back east outside of the principal cities, the burbs tend to be far smaller.

Out west is different.

Bay Area Cities with Pop 100,000+, 2010
San Jose 1,023,083
San Francisco 856,095
Oakland 430,666
Fremont 218,128
Santa Rosa 163,436
Hayward 153,104
Sunnyvale 140,450
Concord 125,435
Santa Clara 118,830
Berkeley 108,119
Daly City 108,119
Fairfield 105,955
Richmond 105,630
Antioch 102,330

Old 05-26-2010, 01:04 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
^I had absolutely no clue that Santa Rosa was anywhere near that size!

I've driven around the outskirts (on the way back from Bodega Bay), but that is very surprising to hear.

One of the big differences between the two regions. Most (but not all) of our suburban areas are unicorporated here.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^I had absolutely no clue that Santa Rosa was anywhere near that size!

I've driven around the outskirts (on the way back from Bodega Bay), but that is very surprising to hear.

One of the big differences between the two regions. Most (but not all) of our suburban areas are unicorporated here.
That's right-lots of unicorporated areas...good point.

As far as Santa Rosa-oh yes they are bigtime.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:31 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
Bump. Looks like it was an interesting discussion, and I'd like to know how they stack up 7 years later.
Pretty much the same. The Bay Area has more to offer for tourists, outside nightlife (which would be Atlanta's strength).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City