Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs New York
Chicago,IL 45 52.33%
New York,NY 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
he'll be on suicide watch.

oh and nyc has like 800,000 puerto ricans. while its not more than the entire island of puerto rico, there are more puerto ricans living in nyc than there are in san juan, pr.

I just had too. I couldn't rep you again. This was funny. I seriously laughed my as s off. We must have similar humor.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,729,639 times
haha, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
NYC has something for everyone. My father's side of the family is African American. My mother's side is Barbadian. In Brooklyn alone, I can get cou-cou, flying fish, macaroni pie, and roti. Where am I gonna find that in Chicago? If you're black in NYC, you might be American black, Guyanese, Trinidadian, Bajan, Jamaican, Ghanaian, Liberian, Panamian, Dominican, Belizian, Nigerian, Cuban, Haitian, etc, etc. In Chicago, most blacks are descendants of slaves from Alabama and Mississippi. Based on just the black diaspora alone, Chicago comes nowhere close to New York. Most Chicagoans probably couldn't even tell me the difference between calypso, soca, chutney and zouk.
do you mind if i use this post in another topic dealing with caribbean culture in nyc?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:14 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
I wonder if there's a way for the mods to find out who rigged the poll.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
haha, thank you.

do you mind if i use this post in another topic dealing with caribbean culture in nyc?
Not at all.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 PM

42 posts, read 34,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Embarrassed, dude it's a city-data poll. Sorry if you can't see well at night if your city lose
Rigging a poll on city-data is pathetic (just like trying to sell the seat in US congress or having 3 governors in a row sent to jail). Bosting about winning that poll is even more pathetic. Then again, there is a reason why Chicago is three times smaller and much, much less popular than New York City.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,390,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
LOL, so you're denying that the thread has been rigged. HAHAHAHAHA.

Even your fellow (level headed) Chicagoan noticed it.

NYC isn't "my city", it's just clearly superior and Chicago will never (legitimately - Chicago thugs are infamous for thuggery and corruption) win any sort of poll against NYC. Sorry,
Maybe you haven't been hear long enough to see that this isn't the first thread pitting these two cities against each other. Name calling is for children now go watch some reruns of Jersey Shore

Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I wonder why there is no edit in the system to allow voting only after certain number of posts or accrued reputation points.

Mods?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
TT1

148 posts, read 439,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's Humboltparkrican

Just search for his name but leave off the numbers. He has at least 20 different banned screen names, all ending with some variation of 3 digits. Clearly he's created 20-30 more to rig the poll.

Every time NYC is compared to Chicago, he storms in like bat out of hell, is completely irate and nonsensical, goes nuts with his long vitriolic and highly emotional paragraphs as if we killed his dog and goes on and on about how New York has a "small grimy skyline" because he apparently saw it from Union City, NJ, and how America should "wake up!" because Chicago is better than NYC but we're all too blind to notice!

He's practically in tears whenever the discussion comes up. Only someone that emotional about the topic could be so determined to sit behind a computer and register dozens of screen names just to rig a poll.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Maybe you haven't been hear long enough to see that this isn't the first thread pitting these two cities against each other. Name calling is for children now go watch some reruns of Jersey Shore

Why don't you go play in the cornfield, huh?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:22 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I am not from NYC. Never even lived there. Anyone who has read my posts can tell you that I absolutely detest New Yorkers. But...it is hands down the most magnificent city on the planet. And yes, compared to NYC, Chicago is a backwater town somewhere in the Midwest.

The only reason I don't grow tired of this thread is because it helps me remember how awesome NYC truly is. I read somewhere, I forgot the source, that NYC has more art galleries and total exhibits than LA, Chicago, San Francisco, and DC combined. That's ridiculous.

The city has the most critical people in the world. If New Yorkers go to the symphony, and they're not pleased with the performance, they will not clap. The same goes for the ballet. NYC draws the best of everything and thus there is a higher standard for everything. In Chicago, I doubt that many people would be able to distinguish a good Pavarotti performance from a mediocre or even a poor one.

NYC has something for everyone. My father's side of the family is African American. My mother's side is Barbadian. In Brooklyn alone, I can get cou-cou, flying fish, macaroni pie, and roti. Where am I gonna find that in Chicago? If you're black in NYC, you might be American black, Guyanese, Trinidadian, Bajan, Jamaican, Ghanaian, Liberian, Panamian, Dominican, Belizian, Nigerian, Cuban, Haitian, etc, etc. In Chicago, most blacks are descendants of slaves from Alabama and Mississippi. Based on just the black diaspora alone, Chicago comes nowhere close to New York. Most Chicagoans probably couldn't even tell the difference between calypso, soca, chutney and zouk.

So, no, Chicago is not in the same weight class. I don't think it's so much a poor reflection on Chicago as it is an affirmation of New York's superiority. Only London has a fighting chance against the Apple.

If you were to look at the tourist attractions in both cities, New York wins by three Midwestern miles. I haven't even heard of some of the places on the Chicago list.

Chicago Tourist Attractions - Most Visited Tourist Attractions in Chicago

New York Tourist Attractions and Things to do in New York City
You really live in a very insulated world. I feel sorry for you and what you are missing. Really sorry for you. Per your Pavarotti quip, you are aware that the Lyric Opera of Chicago is considered as one of the top 10 operas in the world, right? If not on par with the Met, awfully close. You also are aware that the CSO (lets stay high-brow a moment) is considered by many as the world's greatest orchestra. If not the top, then top five. You are aware of this correct? You are also aware that Richard Mutti, considered one of the top orchestra leaders in the world and a virtuoso, turned down the Philharmonic overtures to helm the CSO. You know this, right? Do you think Mutti may have considered the local audience sophistication when he was weighing his options? According to you, he may as well open a theater in Branson.

Look, it's one thing to be proud of your city (and NYC is a beast-- a wonderful one at that-- and most Chicagoans will trip over themselves in agreement) but to do it with a vindictive sneer against another city simply undermines your argument. I think most New Yorkers -- with the exception of dementor and his 60 aliases -- would never consider Chicago to be a backwater. ****, that's an insult to NYC by extension.

Grow up, read a book, go outside and heck, even visit Chicago. Ignorance is not bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City