Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs New York
Chicago,IL 45 52.33%
New York,NY 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:32 AM

85 posts, read 108,716 times

Advertisements

Guess what ppl....Chicago is way more crowded then LA and its the closest thing your going to get in America to NYC. Chicago is the only city that can stand up to NYC. Chicago is a better alternative to NYC. Chicago has 3 million ppl on 227 sq mi and thats not counting the 450,000 illegal immgrants that live in the city limits. It makes LA look like a suburb and Chicago has a taller skyline then NYC.

YouTube - Chicago Traffic

YouTube - Chicago Downtown Street Walking

YouTube - Chicago DownTown view from sky

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #30

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #33

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #24

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #29

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #28

YouTube - Michigan Avenue the Magnificent Mile

Wake up America!Open your eyes! Chicago is better then NYC. NYC is a cool city but Chicago is better!

Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 AM

42 posts, read 34,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USASportsBlogs View Post
How does the quality of life in NYC compare to Chicago/Boston?
What exactly is the quality of life? The price of housing? Of course it is higher in NYC but only because it is more desirable. It's more desirable because it offers much more.

Don't forget to some, QOL mean easy access to the best in the world arts, culture, dining, entertainment and last but not least, job market.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:32 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
lol @ chicago being any type of version of ny. chicago is chicago and ny is ny.

with that said, ny wins this thread and the past threads and any future threads about this tired topic.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
not this thread again

Old 05-26-2010, 07:06 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,926 times
Quality of life in Chicago/Boston is better than that of New York. Mercer's annual quality of living survey always place Chicago & Boston above New York.

News Release: 2010 Mercer Quality of Living survey

Livability: Chicago
Sports: Chicago
Things to do: New York
Restaurants:New York
Friendliness: Tie

Quote:
Originally Posted by USASportsBlogs View Post
Would you consider yourself in a suburb of NYC in Princeton,NJ or Hightstown,NJ?
How does the quality of life in NYC compare to Chicago/Boston?

Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM

85 posts, read 108,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra02 View Post
What LA has to do with anything in this thread. If Chicago is so good how come it is three times smaller than NYC? NYC attracts more residents and more tourists. Why do you it happens?

New York is Chicago on steroids, Chicago is New York after lobotomy.
NYC is bigger because in the 20s ellis island was a port of entry for many poor immagrants from europe. They were poor so they stayed there,It help boost NYC's population, then because of the growth. NYC started it's rapid growth of public housing(ghettos/projects) so the new eurpean immagrants could afford the public housing. This made NYC have and still has the highest number of projects then anyother city. Cities like Chicago have gotten rid of the dirty project housing it had, NYC still has those rat infested projects. It should get rid of them. More tourist? Chicago is 2008 got 45.6 million foreign and domestic visitors and NYC got 47 million. They both get about the same number of tourist.

So New York is Chicago on steroids? Steriods is a drug,So you mean New York is Chicago on drugs? NYC is bigger then Chicago therefore it has alot more crack heads and bums! lol

Like, i said i've been to both cities and Chicago is better, u haven't. NYC has a small grimy skyline, the Empire state building in Chicago's skyline won't stand out because the Sears tower and Trump Tower are bigger.Plus NYC is mostly concrete and brick, i didn't see any trees or parks and no i didn't go to Central Park, Chicago is greener and prettier.And NYC is really expensive! It is really worth it?.......IMHO NO!

Both cities are cool,but Chicago is better,Chicago is my favorite city and NYC is my 2nd favorite.

Too many of these threads, I think i've seen like 200 of these NY vs Chicago threads. Visit both, I'm sure you'll go with Chicago because it's greener,cheaper,prettier,freindlier, and more livable.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:54 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican312 View Post
More tourist? Chicago is 2008 got 45.6 million foreign and domestic visitors and NYC got 47 million. They both get about the same number of tourist.

Like, i said i've been to both cities and Chicago is better, u haven't. NYC has a small grimy skyline, the Empire state building in Chicago's skyline won't stand out because the Sears tower and Trump Tower are bigger.Plus NYC is mostly concrete and brick, i didn't see any trees or parks and no i didn't go to Central Park, Chicago is greener and prettier.And NYC is really expensive! It is really worth it?.......IMHO NO!
Haha. No. There's no skyline in the world that is as large, unique and as readily identifiable as NYC's. The Sears Tower is taller, but it's not iconic. Besides, there's nothing on earth that compares to taking Exit 14 off the Turnpike and approaching Manhattan at 90 MPH. That view is breathteaking. It's also a lot of fun to drive down the FDR and go under, what, like 3 or 4 bridges, and have NY's skyline as a companion during the entire drive.

New York is just much more fun to look at. I think the bridges are the most amazing thing about the city. Is there anything in Chicago that can even compare to walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and staring at the Empire State Bldg to your right and the Statue of Liberty to your left? You have this sense of opportunity and freedom in NYC that feels unlike any place else on the planet. I think that Alicia Keys song really does capture the city's essence. "Concrete jungle that dreams are made of, there's nothing you can't do / These streets will make you feel brand new, bright lights will inspire you." That's so true.

NYC is so so so big that it crushes Chicago off sheer size alone. Chicago is slightly larger than Brooklyn. In Brooklyn or Queens alone, you have more diversity than ALL OF CHICAGOLAND. The West Indian Day parade in Brooklyn is the largest in the world and there is not a single Caribbean country that is not represented. The Puerto Rican Day parade in the Bronx is ridiculous and puts anything in Humboldt Park to shame. It's hard to think of all the things NYC offers because of its immense size, but you have an amusement park (Coney Island), beaches, the Unisphere, Grand Army Plaza, Washington Sq. Park...you get the point.

There are plenty of trees in Manhattan, and you even have several parks, including Riverside Park in Harlem and Fort Tryon in Washington Heights. Chicago has nothing that comes close. Wooded Island and Grant Park are a complete joke compared to Central Park. Plus, you've got Prospect Park in Brooklyn and a billion others. There's just so much in NYC that it's totally out of control. Greatest city in the world.

In sum, NYC is superior to Chicago.

Signed,

Bajan Yankee, a very proud Philadelphian

Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
I am now CERTAIN that some Chicago booster has multiple accounts. LOL.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Which city is better for:
Livability: Chi
Sports: Chi
Things to do: NYC
Restaurants: NYC
Friendliness: Neither are that friendly

Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,072,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I am now CERTAIN that some Chicago booster has multiple accounts. LOL.
Have you been reading the same thread as everybody else? I think you meant Chicago basher, not booster.

Clearly, dementor is posting under the new aliases of SeanCa and abracadabra02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City