Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are emerging as world cities?
Dallas-Forth Worth 19 6.31%
Las Vegas 8 2.66%
Houston 63 20.93%
Miami 45 14.95%
Phoenix 7 2.33%
Twin Cities 13 4.32%
Boston 26 8.64%
Philidelphia 34 11.30%
Atlanta 86 28.57%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 04:42 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
None of them.

The only US cities I would classify as world cities would be:

New York
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Honolulu

Those on the threshhold:

Seattle
Chicago

The rest do not even come close.
Actually I would agree with this, although not exactly this same list but a similar idea. I think Chicago is on its own level, truly a world class city with world class amenities BUT it doesnt feel like a 'world city' the way NY or SF do. Chicago still feels very American compared to those places but its size catapults its stature to right there behind NY, LA, and SF for the 4th spot IMO. Its size gives it diversity in numbers even though it would lack in percentages. Also Honolulu truly does feel very international for a place of about 1 million, perhaps more than anywhere else in its class but its still small and IMO is in a tier behind the giants of NY, LA, SF, and Chicago.

Perhaps a better comparison for Honolulu would be Vegas or Miami, although Miami is nearly 6 times larger it would be more even then comparing to 4 metropolises above 7.5 million IMO. Seattle is ok, really for a world city its lacking as it would offer next to nothing culturally infusive for those from Africa, Europe, Middle East, or South America and a much stronger case can be made for DC than Seattle IMO.

Last edited by Slyman11; 04-09-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Many of the other DC posters dont like my posts because I view our area realistically and I happen to like your two lists here. DC is a nice city but pales in comparison to NY, LA, SF, and Chicago. As I have always been known to say, I think there are 4 truly incredible big cities in the U.S. with at least 8 other great ones. Those 4 are NY, LA, Chicago, and SF with others like Boston, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, or DC all right behind those 4 IMO

Lucky for us, your posts are never backed with any facts. DC is more cosmopolitan than Chicago and on par with SF. DC matches or beats every city except for NYC in a variety of categories from GDP to employment to world class institutions to transportation.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Lucky for us, your posts don't mean anything. DC is more cosmopolitan than Chicago and on par with SF.
Of course its more cosmopolitan than Chicago. Like I said, Chicago feels very 'American' but its size catapults it up there. It still has a large population of most nationalities just lacks the percentages. DC is half of Chicago's size and certainly pulls a higher mass than Chicago in percentages but again its still just half of Chicago's size. Read my post right before yours, I was arguing for a spot inclusion of DC over Seattle of all places.

BTW you should begin reading posts before quoting them

Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,602 times
Quote:
Actually I would agree with this, although not exactly this same list but a similar idea. I think Chicago is on its own level, truly a world class city with world class amenities BUT it doesnt feel like a 'world city' the way NY or SF do. Chicago still feels very American compared to those places but its size catapults its stature to right there behind NY, LA, and SF for the 4th spot IMO. Its size gives it diversity in numbers even though it would lack in percentages. Also Honolulu truly does feel very international for a place of about 1 million, perhaps more than anywhere else in its class but its still small and IMO is in a tier behind the giants of NY, LA, SF, and Chicago.

Perhaps a better comparison for Honolulu would be Vegas or Miami, although Miami is nearly 6 times larger it would be more even then comparing to 4 metropolises above 7.5 million IMO. Seattle is ok, really for a world city its lacking as it would offer next to nothing culturally infusive for those from Africa, Europe, Middle East, or South America and a much stronger case can be made for DC than Seattle IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Lucky for us, your posts are never backed with any facts. DC is more cosmopolitan than Chicago and on par with SF. DC matches or beats every city except for NYC in a variety of categories from GDP to employment to world class institutions to transportation.
LOL Seattle > D.C. Seattle is a better city than D.C. by far. Without the government D.C. is nothing

Old 04-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
LOL Seattle > D.C. Seattle is a better city than D.C. by far. Without the government D.C. is nothing
Is that so?

Well lucky for you I spent a month in Seattle back in December. DC outdoes Seattle in tourism, sports, arts and culture, urban infrastructure, subway system, culinary scene, and prominence. Not to mention media, fashion, and nightlife, besides NY, LA, and maybe SF there isn't another American city with a higher world profile than DC right now.

BTW having a much higher income/wage and the most educated/wealthiest burbs in the nation don't hurt either. Only NY and SF rival us on those two things, a Seattle? To most Washingtonians that place is an afterthought

Old 04-09-2012, 07:14 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,470 times
Already There:
NY (speaks for itself)
DC (seat of Power)
LA (gateway to Asia-MX/hollywood)
CHI (second city)
Miami (being that it's the gateway to Carribean/South America)
Boston & Philly (historical relevance plus size)

Leading Canidates for World Class City In Order:
1. Houston (arguably already there. Strong Economy intertwined with the world wide energy market, With the widening of the panama canal it's already busy port is really about to further strengthen it's international ties. The biggest hinderance is the absence of mass transit wich makes it "feel" less urban. That's being resolved as we speak and we should fully expect Houston to BLAST OFF once the transit issues improve in addition to the Canal widening. Not to mention culturally the hidden Tex-Mex-Cajun culture is finally getting national recognition beyond the region itself.)

2. Dallas (4th Largest Metro, inevitably it will become world class by default with it's current growth rate. The "urbanization" image projects just keep going and going and going. However, IMO it's real International Ties are probably the weakest of all the canidates. But it's efforts to become premeir American city coupled with it's exansive growth will like it push it over the top into World Class status at some point)

3. Atlanta (I'll be honest and maybe my opinion is somewhat biased. Hosting the Olympics is not enough to make you a World Class city. On the plus side, it's urbanization efforts makes it a premier American city arguably ahead of it's competition Houston and Dallas, I just feel Atlanta is furtherst Away from International Stature which would make it a "World Class" city)

Honorable Mention (Seattle, Phoenix, New Orleans, Honolulu, Vegas)

In closing, I just recognize that my list of of World Class cities are all located next to a major body of water. Is that a mere coincidence? wondering what role that plays as opposed to being land locked?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,662,795 times
Seattle is important for a number of reasons: Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks. There are others, but those are the big four. And a unique position of being closest to Japan/Asia than any U.S. cities other than Anchorage and Honolulu.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM

686 posts, read 1,167,470 times
I forgot about San Fran. They belong

Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,231 times
Houston and DFW are emerging to world class IMO. My nod is to Houston the energy industry is really helping the city out. Like HouTXmetro stated, it also has something that DFW and Atlanta lack...a port which plays a vital role in there economy as well.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
BTW having a much higher income/wage and the most educated/wealthiest burbs in the nation don't hurt either. Only NY and SF rival us on those two things, a Seattle? To most Washingtonians that place is an afterthought
Let's be honest, though. DC really doesn't have to try that hard. It's very easy to have a highly successful, practically recession-proof city when you're the seat of government for the most powerful nation in the world. It's not an exaggeration to say that a significant portion of DC's success is because of the rest of the country.

Certainly this is not to impugn the importance of DC, but to me it is far more impressive when city is competitive on a world stage by being built up more organically.

Last edited by Duderino; 04-10-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City