Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are emerging as world cities?
Dallas-Forth Worth 19 6.31%
Las Vegas 8 2.66%
Houston 63 20.93%
Miami 45 14.95%
Phoenix 7 2.33%
Twin Cities 13 4.32%
Boston 26 8.64%
Philidelphia 34 11.30%
Atlanta 86 28.57%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:53 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Dont worry about forgetting about Houston it happens all the time.. and will until it zooms by the bi coastals fav cities.
I wouldn't forget about Houston at all; I honestly just overlooked it on the list. I completely acknowledge Houston's rapid rise in importance on a national and international scale. It's obviously a massive economic driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 PM

430 posts, read 1,651,143 times
When I think of World Cities I think of cities foreign people recognize in the USA

And for that Reason alone.. NYC, LA , SF, DC, Chicago.... MIAMI

Old 04-14-2012, 07:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
When I think of World Cities I think of cities foreign people recognize in the USA

And for that Reason alone.. NYC, LA , SF, DC, Chicago.... MIAMI
Most people in foreign countries are better at geography than Americans are. The list of cities people would recognize is a bit longer than that. That's why I don't think a global city is simply one with name recognition in other countries.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Most people in foreign countries are better at geography than Americans are. The list of cities people would recognize is a bit longer than that. That's why I don't think a global city is simply one with name recognition in other countries.
A global city is simply more than the recognition, it's about power, diversity, culture, and global impact and influence it has on the world. A world city is a city that seperates itself from the pack, it's a city that represents the culture of the world at all angles. And for that reason that's why I vote Miami, the global influence, power, recognition it has amongst the rest of the world is present. In places like houston for example they are good economically speaking, but they haven't had an impact internationally around the world, like NYC, LA, Chicago, SF , and Miami have had, when was the last time you heard an international person saying " IM GOIN TO HOUSTON!!!" I haven't.. The rest of the cities listed on this are just not as powerful, known, and well defined in a world city fashion, they might be powerful economically, but they are missing that impact and influence it brushes off to the rest of the world.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Interestingly Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, and Atlanta are all listed as Alpha- Global Cities on Wikipedia. I would consider all of these world cities. So this leaves Las Vegas, Houston, Twin Cities (Minneapolis for simplicity), and Phoenix.

According to Wikipedia:
Beta+: Houston
Beta: Minneapolis
Gamma: Phoenix
Not Listed: Las Vegas

This would leave Houston as your winner, if you are going by Wikipedia. (Which is just one source, I am sure there are many other contradictory ones, but I don't have motivation to write an essay on this, or do that much research.)

If it were up to me (which it isn't) based on the Wikipedia list, I would make this discussion all the Beta world cities in the USA, which would be:

Beta+: Houston
Beta: Minneapolis, Seattle
Beta-: Detroit, Denver, Cleveland, San Diego, St. Louis

This does seem like a fun discussion, but we are talking about some cities that are already considered alpha global cities.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:00 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
when was the last time you heard an international person saying " IM GOIN TO HOUSTON!!!".
About 3 days ago in Rio de Janeiro.

Another point is that I have been in Brazil for the last 2 weeks. I have met many, many people here and have been asked by each one where I was from. I told all of them that I was from Dallas and I did not come across one person who had not heard of it and knew it was in Texas. Even the ones that didn't speak English.

But this thread is about emerging world cities. The cities you listed are already world cities. For emerging world cities, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Seattle would be good fits.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times
I would have to say Houston. It's one of the fastest growing cities and has a overwhelming share of the energy sector. Plus for a midwestern city, it has quite the variety of foreign flag airlines serving the city much more compared to Dallas which is the indication of more international prominence which is key when discussing a "World City".. I'm very happy for the Houstonians in how far their city has come in a short period. The have TONS of foreign consolates too.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I would have to say Houston. It's one of the fastest growing cities and has a overwhelming share of the energy sector. Plus for a midwestern city, it has quite the variety of foreign flag airlines serving the city much more compared to Dallas which is the indication of more international prominence which is key when discussing a "World City".. I'm very happy for the Houstonians in how far their city has come in a short period. The have TONS of foreign consolates too.
wow, Midwestern???

I have heard Southern
West South Central and South Western, Gulf Coast, but Midwestern??? Wow, seems like Houston belongs everywhere

Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 AM

686 posts, read 1,168,073 times
Mid Western? Hardly

Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
wow, Midwestern???

I have heard Southern
West South Central and South Western, Gulf Coast, but Midwestern??? Wow, seems like Houston belongs everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City