Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are emerging as world cities?
Dallas-Forth Worth 19 6.31%
Las Vegas 8 2.66%
Houston 63 20.93%
Miami 45 14.95%
Phoenix 7 2.33%
Twin Cities 13 4.32%
Boston 26 8.64%
Philidelphia 34 11.30%
Atlanta 86 28.57%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I would have to say Houston. It's one of the fastest growing cities and has a overwhelming share of the energy sector. Plus for a midwestern city, it has quite the variety of foreign flag airlines .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
I voted correctly. I said Atlanta. It is the nerve center for a quadrant of this country, adds population like crazy, and the airport is too important to overlook. The places ATL now has non-stop flights to across the globe is now mind-boggling.

Houston and Miami have already emerged for being energy/medical and financial centers, respectively, and for having port city status. BTW, I would NEVER consider Houston midwestern, lest any part of Texas. Miami intrigues foreigners for some reason, as does LA.

Dallas and Phoenix want to emerge as such, but I don't think they are world cities.

Philadelphia and Boston are already considered important.

Las Vegas and Twin Cities, "fat chance."

Old 04-16-2012, 02:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I voted correctly. I said Atlanta. It is the nerve center for a quadrant of this country, adds population like crazy, and the airport is too important to overlook. The places ATL now has non-stop flights to across the globe is now mind-boggling.

Houston and Miami have already emerged for being energy/medical and financial centers, respectively, and for having port city status. BTW, I would NEVER consider Houston midwestern, lest any part of Texas. Miami intrigues foreigners for some reason, as does LA.

Dallas and Phoenix want to emerge as such, but I don't think they are world cities.

I think I agree with just about everything you said. Houston and Miami have deep International connections already. It has strong economic ties with countries in North, South and Central America, and also with ones in the Middle east and Africa. Its ties with Asia are building, Europe??? Not so much.

Miami has had strong international ties for a while. Maintaining strong ties with Europe and South/ Central America.

Vegas I may not agree with you there, They do serve as a play ground for overseas visitors too, but I dunno if that is enough. MSP I will agree with you there. It is a VIP American City, but a World City is hard for me to make a case for. Maybe someone can give it a go.

Boston and Philly have been international cities for more than a century.

As for ATL, I don't think it is stuff like the airport and Olympics that makes it a World City. ATL has huge global economic and cultural aspects to it that make it a World City or as you say, almost there. The Center for Disease Control, CNN and ATL's myriad of large companies gives it international impact.

As for Dallas, I also agree there. The huge increase in foreign born residents in DFW shows that it is quickly becoming a more international city. I think the only thing keeping it from being more widely recognized as a World City is its economic ties. Although it has many international ties, its domestic ties overshadows it. Dallas could easily be an American Heartland city and is very Important domestically, much more so than Internationally.

You didn't mention Seattle. It should be in the mix too among Cities such as DFW and ATL. Seattle probably has the strongest International ties of the three

Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
Southern City..Happy now?

Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Quote:

The overseas locations that are served from ATL airport have very little to do with O&D passengers from the Atlanta area. The majority of those overseas flights are from passengers across the entire Southeast region that chose to fly Delta. The legitimacy of a "World City" when discussing airports is defined by how many foreign flag carriers are serving that airport. Atlanta has next to none. You could have a Delta mega hub in the middle of nowhere in that same region and still generate 60 mil. passenger movements.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
The overseas locations that are served from ATL airport have very little to do with O&D passengers from the Atlanta area. The majority of those overseas flights are from passengers across the entire Southeast region that chose to fly Delta. The legitimacy of a "World City" when discussing airports is defined by how many foreign flag carriers are serving that airport. Atlanta has next to none. You could have a Delta mega hub in the middle of nowhere in that same region and still generate 60 mil. passenger movements.
Totally agree. And this is where lists such as GaWC fails.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
The legitimacy of a "World City" when discussing airports is defined by how many foreign flag carriers are serving that airport. Atlanta has next to none.
British, Lufthansa, Air France, KLM, Air Canada, Korean, and South African. The word is emerging. I'm sure others will join these ranks. But, as I said, I think the airport is just part of the overall equation. The whole infrastructure of the metro area is poised for this type of growth and recognition, especially if a second ring road were to go around the city.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You didn't mention Seattle. It should be in the mix too among Cities such as DFW and ATL. Seattle probably has the strongest International ties of the three
Seattle really wants to control its growth. Wedged in between Puget Sound and the Cascades, and with a huge lake in the middle of the metro area which you cross on traffic-clogged floating pontoon freeways, it can only choke on itself more. DFW and ATL can accommodate growth more readily, and even though Seattle is the US port closest to Japan and Korea and is where Boeing rolls out their big planes, there is something still very provincial about it.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
British, Lufthansa, Air France, KLM, Air Canada, Korean, and South African. The word is emerging. I'm sure others will join these ranks. But, as I said, I think the airport is just part of the overall equation. The whole infrastructure of the metro area is poised for this type of growth and recognition, especially if a second ring road were to go around the city.

Am curious what a second ring road has to do with being a world class city; with that logic DFW and Houston would surpass all Can you elaborate

Also on the airport; among major airports ATL has a very low percentage of end passengers, both foreign and domestic; while airport plays in I am not sure it is as significant a factor

trade and commerce would seem more influential to me overall

Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM

68 posts, read 163,892 times
Atlanta, Philadelphia and Miami come to mind. Seattle seems like it too but not completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City