Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are emerging as world cities?
Dallas-Forth Worth 19 6.31%
Las Vegas 8 2.66%
Houston 63 20.93%
Miami 45 14.95%
Phoenix 7 2.33%
Twin Cities 13 4.32%
Boston 26 8.64%
Philidelphia 34 11.30%
Atlanta 86 28.57%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I didn’t vote because there are no criteria listed as to what defines a world city. If we use the GaWC rankings which some have referenced, it becomes much easier. Under those rankings; Dallas, Houston, Miami, Minneapolis, Boston, and Atlanta have all been defined as global (“world”) cities for the last three published GaWC reports. Philadelphia was added in the most recent listing.

Cities not making the cut are defined as showing either “High Sufficiency” or “Sufficiency”. Phoenix is listed as possessing high sufficiency and Las Vegas is listed as showing sufficiency.

Under the GaWC rankings the answer would seem to be Phoenix since it is the closer of the two cities which are not currently defined as global.

If this is merely a subjective question; I would say that none of these cities is, or will likely ever be, a truly world city. I think we tend to overstate the importance of US cities to people in other parts of the world. Aside from New York (for a host of obvious reasons), Washington (for political influence), and Los Angeles (for its cultural influences); few American cities have an especially strong impact on the lives of people throughout the world.
What you say is true.However this is an international ranking.Why does Mumbai,Athens,Prague or any other city have any influence anywhere elseoutside of their own country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 AM

21 posts, read 44,219 times
^ mmmmmmmm because countries trade with each other

Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What you say is true.However this is an international ranking.Why does Mumbai,Athens,Prague or any other city have any influence anywhere elseoutside of their own country?
Can't speak for the others but Mumbai has a world renowned film industry and it's financial sector is the oldest in Asia and the best in South Asia.

The trade and regulations it has with other countries. It's a major port city, and it's also the largest economic engine for it's country, as well as a large airport hub for it's country, and huge influence on infrastructure, and home to many international companies and billionaires.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 AM

330 posts, read 681,856 times
Of those cities, only Dallas-Fort Worth and possibly Atlanta. As much as I despise both those cities.

The rest are either established international cities, or never will be. Minneapolis for example is very insular. It's the "apple pie" of business - ie., American all the way, not international. If anything, Minneapolis-St. Paul was more "international" (as a business centre) back in the 1970s than it is now. Chicago has really sucked away much of what other midwestern cities had going for them.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:36 AM

353 posts, read 816,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post
Which cities do you think are emerging as world cities? I didn't include L.A., New York, DC, Chicago, and the SF Bay Area, because I feel those are already in that category.
sorry but Miami is already a World Class City in this country.

from the list i would probably go with Houston and Atlanta.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
sorry but Miami is already a World Class City in this country.

from the list i would probably go with Houston and Atlanta.
The question is a world city not world class.Monte Carlo (Monaco-Ville)is a world class city but it is NOT a world city.BIG difference.

Frankly,in my opinion,the only World -Class MAJOR cities are NYC,Chicago,San Francisco and D.C.
Miami is not it in my opinion.South Beach can be but not MIAMI on the whole.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
Quote:

Mumbai is a city of 22 million people. It is the most important cultural, business, and economic center in one of the world’s fastest-growing economies. As for Athens and Prague, they are capitol cities of their respective nations. Rightly of wrongly, the GaWC methodology tends to be very biased towards national capitols, particularly those in Europe. I imagine that the premise is that a significant amount of diplomatic and political interaction leads to the global connectivity on which the GaWC rankings are based.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times View Post
Of those cities, only Dallas-Fort Worth and possibly Atlanta. As much as I despise both those cities.

The rest are either established international cities, or never will be. Minneapolis for example is very insular. It's the "apple pie" of business - ie., American all the way, not international. If anything, Minneapolis-St. Paul was more "international" (as a business centre) back in the 1970s than it is now. Chicago has really sucked away much of what other midwestern cities had going for them.
In reading through the GaWC documentation, Minneapolis is defined as a global city for a number of reasons: the very high number of corporations engaging in international trade and its role as a banking center among them. Minneapolis also accounts for the seventh largest total of advertising revenue in North America. It is among the top twenty in the world in that regard.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:35 PM

222 posts, read 579,031 times
I think u didn't do your resaerch good on this one not tryna be evil or nothing but Atlanta is allready a world city. Look at it's status on a more up to date chart and that list on alpha world cities was old it says data from 1998.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,106 times
Quote:
The question is a world city not world class.Monte Carlo (Monaco-Ville)is a world class city but it is NOT a world city.BIG difference.

Frankly,in my opinion,the only World -Class MAJOR cities are NYC,Chicago,San Francisco and D.C.
Miami is not it in my opinion.South Beach can be but not MIAMI on the whole.
I forgot about this thread, but I had to come back and ask what you meant by that. You said South Beach can be but not MIAMI on the whole. Well to most people MIAMI on the whole would include South Beach lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City