Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:56 AM

170 posts, read 391,329 times

Advertisements

chicago is so segregated that its actually two cities trapped in one..the north side/downtown is almost completely different from the south and west side..so if a person just visit the nice part of the city then you could make a valid argument of chicago being safer then nyc..

i wonder how high the murder/crime rate would go if you we're able to separate the north side/downtown area from the rest of the city thou

Old 05-30-2010, 01:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
i wonder how high the murder/crime rate would go if you we're able to separate the north side/downtown area from the rest of the city thou
Last year there were about 80 murders north of North Avenue, which comprises roughly 1.2 million (or slightly less than half) the city's population. If everything north of North Avenue were its own city, the murder rate of that city would be slightly above the national average.

Another sobering statistic: last year, 95% of the city's murder victims were either black or Hispanic.

Last edited by Drover; 05-30-2010 at 01:23 AM..

Old 05-30-2010, 01:20 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
One thing I have to say, NYC's gang problem is getting out of control. I have inside info and I wont say nothing but IMO Chi/LA are 1a & 1b in gang problems...then NYC is definitely 2a. Chicago has a higher crime rate overall but NYC definitely has neighborhoods that are as bad as the Chi. NYC just has alot more nice areas to cover the bad ones. As to the "safer Chicago" lady...she probably thinks is 1991. While robberies do happen by the elevated trains, they're nowhere near as common as they were 20 years ago.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:29 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,589 times
Overall, Chicago and a lot of other big cities are more dangerous than NYC. I've been through the good and ban parts of NY. Its really no worst than a hood in any other city. Chi town on the other hand is a lot more dangerous and Chicago is no way a "safe NYC". lol

Old 05-30-2010, 01:31 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenewyork. View Post
That is perhaps the funniest thing I've read all week.

NYC is very safe. In fact, according to the FBI, New York is the safest large city in the United States.

New York City Safest Big City in America, FBI Report Finds

Chicago on the other hand is one of the most dangerous cities in the United States. So dangerous that it's lawmakers are considering deploying the national guard to help control it's out of control crime.

Chicago Pols Want National Guard to Help Fight Crime - AOL News

... and is now compared to Newark in terms of crime

A Tale of Two Cities: Chicago and Newark - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Try watching the news or pulling up crime statistics.

dont generalize all of new york city, because it isnt very safe, all though we are one of the safest lartgest cities, tourist still get mugged and robbed, all you have to do is read the ny daily blotter once in a while.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ Hold on, you can't just act like whats going on in Chicago isn't pretty crazy right now though. If I'm not mistaken wasn't the National Guard supposed to be controlling the Southside soon? I heard something like 50 people got murdered in 47 hours or something lol thats nuts.
um whoa chicago is not jaurez mexico , their was probably 50 shootings in 47 hours but most def their was not 50 killings in 47 hours.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:36 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,589 times
Oh yea, don't sleep on NYC. The city is still going strong on crime, but its been reduced by a lot. I've been thru Brownsville NYC on my first trip up there. I wasn't scared of nothing. Hell even on the subway if you look out of place you'll get robbed. Luckily I fit in real good with NYC. Du-rag, black tee, 334 pounds, 5'11. black, got a serious face, I can never go wrong.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:16 AM

118 posts, read 443,587 times
"Luckily i fit in real good with nyc. Du-rag, black tee, 334 pounds, 5'11. Black, got a serious face, i can never go wrong."

lol

Old 05-30-2010, 08:04 AM

922 posts, read 1,697,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I might've been wrong but I heard something like 50 murders in 47 hours. Personally I think a lot of things on this site are exaggerated there are plenty of nice areas in Chi-Town. I'm just glad that the National Guard thing was just a thought, that wouldn't have looked too good for the city.

More than 40 shot, four killed on South Side | abc7chicago.com

The Chicago media helps creates the high crime exaggeration by reporting shootings or murders any chance they get....

Old 05-30-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
More than 40 shot, four killed on South Side | abc7chicago.com

The Chicago media helps creates the high crime exaggeration by reporting shootings or murders any chance they get....
yes this is very true, a lot of this stuff has happen to nyc , when you pay attention to the crime occurrence on gothamist, but i guess since nyc has 8 million it really doesn't matter.

but at the same time i bet this type of stuff happens to a degree in cities like baltimore, new orleans , l.a , houstan , dallas, etc but it seems as if chicago is the only one that goes out its way to report in on national news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City