Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:24 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Oh yea, don't sleep on NYC. The city is still going strong on crime, but its been reduced by a lot. I've been thru Brownsville NYC on my first trip up there. I wasn't scared of nothing. Hell even on the subway if you look out of place you'll get robbed. Luckily I fit in real good with NYC. Du-rag, black tee, 334 pounds, 5'11. black, got a serious face, I can never go wrong.

black tee? lol this aint the south , but i know what you mean, it seems that people who actually stay in nyc ghettos know that nyc has ruff spots, and it also seems the people who say nyc is "very very safe" are the people who go nowhere or probably stay in times sqaure manhattan if they do go.

lol nyc is way more safe then it was 10 years ago , but tourist still get robbed here, and we still have hoods that are ruff, east new york , brownsville , south bronx, east harlem , south jamaican.

most of the people who say nyc is so safe safe wouldnt walk in those areas at 3 am , since they claim its very very safe, people gotta think before they speak.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
I've been mugged or robbed 3 times, and neither was in NY (been here many times) or Chicago (and I lived in Chicago) ... 1 was in Vegas and twice in Florida...1 close call in New Orleans.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:34 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,183,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Oh yea, don't sleep on NYC. The city is still going strong on crime, but its been reduced by a lot. I've been thru Brownsville NYC on my first trip up there. I wasn't scared of nothing. Hell even on the subway if you look out of place you'll get robbed. Luckily I fit in real good with NYC. Du-rag, black tee, 334 pounds, 5'11. black, got a serious face, I can never go wrong.
Lmao, wtf.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:36 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,183,607 times
New York is definitely more safe than it was back in the day, but like most other people are saying, don't sleep on it. It's still not all sugar and cherries, shyt aint sweet! lol.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:40 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
Chicago is like a smaller New York with higher crime

Still, I wouldn't feel safe in the South Bronx at night

Old 05-30-2010, 01:57 PM

11 posts, read 17,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
chicago is so segregated that its actually two cities trapped in one..the north side/downtown is almost completely different from the south and west side..so if a person just visit the nice part of the city then you could make a valid argument of chicago being safer then nyc..
No you couldn't. Sorry.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
but at the same time i bet this type of stuff happens to a degree in cities like baltimore, new orleans , l.a , houstan , dallas, etc but it seems as if chicago is the only one that goes out its way to report in on national news.
Houston and Dallas have about the same violent crime and murder rate as Chicago; Baltimore and especially New Orleans have a way higher violent crime and murder rate than Chicago. Which underscores why I don't understand the nation's recent obsession with Chicago's crime situation. Yes, we have our problems here and they need to be dealt with, but why are we singled out for such scrutiny when it's considerably worse in a lot of other cities?

Old 05-30-2010, 02:40 PM

910 posts, read 1,083,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Houston and Dallas have about the same violent crime and murder rate as Chicago; Baltimore and especially New Orleans have a way higher violent crime and murder rate than Chicago. Which underscores why I don't understand the nation's recent obsession with Chicago's crime situation. Yes, we have our problems here and they need to be dealt with, but why are we singled out for such scrutiny when it's considerably worse in a lot of other cities?

It's the media. It's the only city in America with like...50-70 people bein' shot in just one weekend && things like that. I don't think it's the crime rate, it's the crazy incidents Chicago has with so many people bein' shot in a short period of time that you don't see anywhere else.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:46 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
Chicago is singled out because its one of America's most important cities and because the media cares more about raw numbers than rates, and Chicago is about the same in raw numbers when compared to New York, even though its notably smaller

Old 05-30-2010, 03:10 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
Chicago's had a crime wave recently. It all came from the decision to spread the cancer that was concentrated in the housing project high rises. The city naively believed that by inserting the families from the projects around the city and spreading it around that it would dilute the criminal element and they would cash in on a booming real estate market.

OOPS! I guess they were wrong. The far south east side WAS an up and coming area, but the cancer has caused investment to dry up and drugs to fill it in. It's also caused friction with the latino gangs in the West side.

Downtown Chicago is pretty safe, as is the north side and the near West side, near the mayor's town of Bridgeport. There's a lot of really nice neighborhoods and places to go, no doubt about it. But a "safer" NYC? I think not. Bloomberg and Guiliani have cleaned up NYC quite a bit. Daley meanwhile has misstepped and is paying the price for spreading the cancer in the high rise projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City