Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better - Chicago or The Bay Area
Chicago 69 61.61%
Bay Area 43 38.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,473,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That isn't undergrad ranking he posted. That is a comprehensive ranking.
If you want to use US News, as in the flurry of other postings by them... well, there you have it, that is their overall.

"
National Universities Rankings

Schools in the National Universities category, such as Yale and UCLA, offer a full range of undergraduate majors, master's, and doctoral degrees. These colleges also are committed to producing groundbreaking research."

Anyway with the whole universities thing bay area doesn't lose on quality, not at all, there are just more options around Chicago. I actually thought (as previously I posted) for the top 2 bay would win, but USNews apparently doesn't.

Also to the regular posters, why are you bothering responding to these fake trolling accounts on both sides... Lets keep it civil it was a decent comparison before.
Gotcha! Yeah I just wasn't sure exactly what he was getting at so I was curious. I get now why you chose Chicago above the Bay here. Not sure if I fully agree with you, but I at least see where you were coming from now.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:28 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,072,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
In other words, places like Manhattan and San Francisco are far more expensive than Chicago.

Yes, that's true.

I'm sorry, what are we arguing about?
Most people would assume a house that costs $800,000 in SF must be nicer than a house that costs $500,000 in Chicago, simply because it's more expensive. However, this is definitely not the case in reality.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
My post was directed at grapico, so I'm not sure why you're even responding to it. I wasn't extending the boundaries of anything. We aren't including UIUC, so obviously we aren't including UW either. I was simply pointing out the fact that Chicagoans treat both schools as their own as they're both about the same distance from Chicago.
I see. My bad then. I don't recall what I was thinking at that moment now, but I'm guessing I just read through that page too fast and thought you were doing what I'd stated there. My mistake.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,022 times
I have to clarify this. That IS the undergrad ranking. The "best colleges" ranking comprised of "national universities" and "liberal arts colleges", where "national universities" means schools that offer more than undergrad, but the ranking is all about undergrad in such comprehensive univeristies. You can get this by just looking at the ranking criteria used. The point is, USNews feels that it can't rank the undergrad program fairly between universities who offer other degrees with universities who roughly only offer undergrad degree. So it spilt them and ranked the undergrad program of each respectively.

Quote:
That isn't undergrad ranking he posted. That is a comprehensive ranking.
If you want to use US News, as in the flurry of other postings by them... well, there you have it, that is their overall.

"
National Universities Rankings

Schools in the National Universities category, such as Yale and UCLA, offer a full range of undergraduate majors, master's, and doctoral degrees. These colleges also are committed to producing groundbreaking research."

Anyway with the whole universities thing bay area doesn't lose on quality, not at all, there are just more options around Chicago. I actually thought (as previously I posted) for the top 2 bay would win, but USNews apparently doesn't.

Also to the regular posters, why are you bothering responding to these fake trolling accounts on both sides... Lets keep it civil it was a decent comparison before.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Nice bait and switch. PR's are one segment of the LATINO population, just like Vietnamese are one segment of the ASIAN population. Latinos haven't relegated themselves to 2 or 3 regions of the country, they live in large numbers nearly everywhere, unlike Asians.
Bait and switch? Whatever you say man. You called Asians an ethnic group and I pointed out an ethnic group. Chinese people are all over this country. Same with other Asian ethnicities. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and other Caribbean ethnic groups are just as you and I described. You sound bitter that Asians seem to prefer CA and HI so much. Get over it.

Quote:
I'm not even sure what you're talking about here. I never claimed the Bay was "lily white."
Never mind. Not even worth delving into further.

Quote:
18M hasn't disproved anything. In most American's minds the word "minority" conjures up images of the poor and underclass. Asians and people of Middle Eastern descent actually have higher levels of education and higher incomes on average than whites do. Your minorities are not like Chicago's minorities, or really any other American city's for that matter.
Speak for yourself. That is a very myopic and antiquated way of thinking when hearing the word "minority."

Quote:
You must have reading comprehension issues. I was calling 18M cynical, not myself.
Or you just communicate in a very strange way that makes things difficult for many people to see eye to eye with you.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I hate to agree with Moderator cut: orphaned, but your numbers you keep posting are pretty meaningless. ThePR just posted that housing calculator that showed an $800,000 home in SF would only fetch $300,000 in Chicago. So, I guess all those $1 million houses in SF would be equivalent to $500,000 houses in Chicago. Conversely, $1 million home in Chicago would probably go for over $2 million in SF.
They wouldn't really be equivalent since they'd be in Chicago. No one would pay that much for them in Chicago. People want to be in SF bad enough to pay a higher price.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Except not...

If the bay "didn't attract poor immigrants the same way that Chicago did" then why... why am I even asking you this. Obviously you don't live in the bay. You can find a large poor immigrant population in MARIN COUNTY(richest county in the bay), let alone the rest of the bay. Of course, you wouldn't know that because you're not a local. Who do you think does the maid and house service for the rich people in Atherton/West Menlo/Palo Alto/Los Altos/Los Gatos/San Ramon/Danville etc.? Unless you think the pay here's so overinflated that chicagoans can afford to fly over here, clean house and fly back.. rofl. Wherever there's extremely rich people means there's extremely poor people at their service. Extremely poor people in the bay tend to be immigrants...
Don't bother. He thinks he knows all kinds of things about the Bay Area that he's completely incorrect on. I don't want to rehash old arguments and list all the numerous things he's been wrong about in regards to here, but I advise you to not even bother. He's a lost cause in that regard. Unfortunately he still doesn't even know it.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:50 AM

153 posts, read 381,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
I have to clarify this. That IS the undergrad ranking. The "best colleges" ranking comprised of "national universities" and "liberal arts colleges", where "national universities" means schools that offer more than undergrad, but the ranking is all about undergrad in such comprehensive univeristies. You can get this by just looking at the ranking criteria used. The point is, USNews feels that it can't rank the undergrad program fairly between universities who offer other degrees with universities who roughly only offer undergrad degree. So it spilt them and ranked the undergrad program of each respectively.
It is only the undergrad ranking, correct. Grapico is incorrect here.

Quote:
Yeah that is definitely true, UIUC is the best state school in Illinois, and top 5 in the nation for that matter with UCB/Michigan/UVA etc. Also see my post above regarding US News.
Best Public Universities - Education - US News and World Report

Most in their right mind wouldn't say UIUC is a top 5 public university. USNews doesn't agree with that, either. It has a ~70% UG acceptance rate. Says so much for the 'best state school in Illinois'.

Quote:
What does my state have to do with anything? I showed that both of Chicago's top private institutions outranked UC-Berkley, which seemed to be in question at the time. BTW, CA might have a great public university system, but keep in mind that most of those students are coming from out-of-state and overseas. The state of CA has one the worst K-12 education systems in the U.S.
First of all, learn how to spell. It's Berkeley. Northwestern isn't Northwest university. Second, the majority of the UG student body at Berkeley are from in-state, and almost half of Stanford's is from California. And the state of CA has some of the best public high schools in the nation (coincidentally around the bay area) . Moreover, Berkeley has a lower UG acceptance rate than both UChicago and Northwestern, in other words, Berkeley is more selective than UChic/NWU, and Stanford's is even lower than that of UChic/NWU. You can see the USNews individual college data for yourself. And graduate studies-wise, the two bay area schools >>> Chic/NWU overall. Chic/NWU may have a couple top five departments (Chic law, Booth/Kellogg, etc., if you even know what I'm talking about), but Berkeley/Stanford ranks at the very top in practically every academic field.

Last edited by DeusEx; 06-07-2010 at 01:17 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 01:21 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
It is only the undergrad ranking, correct. Grapico is incorrect here.

Best Public Universities - Education - US News and World Report

Most in their right mind wouldn't say UIUC is a top 5 public university. USNews doesn't agree with that, either. It has a ~70% UG acceptance rate. Says so much for the 'best state school in Illinois'.

First of all, learn how to spell. It's Berkeley. Northwestern isn't Northwest university. Second, the majority of the UG student body at Berkeley are from in-state, and almost half of Stanford's is from California. And the state of CA has some of the best public high schools in the nation (coincidentally around the bay area) . Moreover, Berkeley has a lower UG acceptance rate than both UChicago and Northwestern, in other words, Berkeley is more selective than UChic/NWU, and Stanford's is even lower than that of UChic/NWU. You can see the USNews individual college data for yourself. And graduate studies-wise, the two bay area schools >>> Chic/NWU overall. Chic/NWU may have a couple top five departments (Chic law, Booth/Kellogg, etc., if you even know what I'm talking about), but Berkeley/Stanford ranks at the very top in practically every academic field.
ok but your god apparently us news ranks nw and uc over berkeley ...about 10 spots higher. so of the 2 if we are going by this, chicago wins for undergrad and bay for graduate...

Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 AM

153 posts, read 381,621 times
Quote:
ok but your god apparently us news ranks nw and uc over berkeley ...about 10 spots higher. so of the 2 if we are going by this, chicago wins for undergrad and bay for graduate...
If you haven't read my previous post, they have actually been in criticism of USNews; that particular list factors in several non-academic factors, such as alumni donation rate, etc, that have long been known to skew the data in favor of private institutions. USNews should go mainly by selectivity, the acceptance rate is arguably a better judge of quality than who donates more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City