Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better - Chicago or The Bay Area
Chicago 69 61.61%
Bay Area 43 38.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,722,624 times

Advertisements

I thought poor people couldn't afford to live in SF, unless they don't mind living in tents or under bridges. But I guess thats possible since there's no such thing as winter in SanFran.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
True the Bay Area does not have a storied sports history, the 49ers are far superior to anything to ever come out of Chicago, Americas favorite sport is football afterall. The Giants and Cubs usually compare well with each other and so do the Sharks,Hawks. The typical fan from Illinois does not have the same amount of choice in regards to activities and entertainment, as a result watching sports is a bigger draw.
prestige aside,san francisco just isn't much of a sports town. the populous just doesn't care about it that much, at least in comparison to somewhere like chicago which seems to be always a topic of conversation. the strongest support as far as sports fans are in the east/south bay i would imagine.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Because it's true. The poster didn't say Chicago was more diverse, just that both places were diverse. I don't think anybody, not even 18M or jman, would argue with that, let alone an actual resident of Chicago.
I probably just took it a step further when processing what he meant to say. Yeah Chicago is diverse. I just probably misunderstood it as "as diverse as the Bay Area".

Old 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM

259 posts, read 543,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
And SF isn't. SF and the Bay Area is home to just as many iconic teams and players for their respective franchises as Chicago and perhaps more. There is perhaps more homegrown sports talent as well. And the bay has produced more musical talent than Chicago in most genres and is home to counter-culture, much of what has has a HUGE impact on Chicago and the rest of the country.

The Bay is more diverse, food is even though I think the quality of seafood, nearby wine country, and produce pushes SF over Chicago in the food category. The outdoor amenities and beauty of SF far exceeds that of Chicago and their is little that the Chicago has that the Bay doesn't offer and vice versa. Two great cities, indeed, but for me the greater diversity, culture, beauty, and access to so much more activities that I am into--pushes the Bay ahead of Chicago imo.

SF is overall more dense than Chicago and not by a slight margin either and it is arguably more urban, and definitely more cosmopolitan.
first of all Chicago is a hotbed for one of the most popular sports in America- basketball...Sanfran isn't a hotspot for any sport really is it? Maybe it is so I'll leave that alone...And also Chicago has produced a very very large amount of musical talent are you even alive? lol...I mean Chicago was the center for jazz in the 20's get real man

Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times
The graph correlates with cost of living.

How did this thread get to sports and best colleges/universities?

Do residents of either city care that much? I sure don't.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
first of all Chicago is a hotbed for one of the most popular sports in America- basketball...Sanfran isn't a hotspot for any sport really is it? Maybe it is so I'll leave that alone...And also Chicago has produced a very very large amount of musical talent are you even alive? lol...I mean Chicago was the center for jazz in the 20's get real man
baseball talent is good all through california. i though the music thing was funny too... the only category I think bay would take it would be the thrash metal scene.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Lol I like the disclaimer on it: "Important: this map is highly inaccurate and should be understood only as a demonstration, and not as any kind of reliable data yet. It is based on only a few thousands of votes spread across all teams, across the country."

That's actually pretty cool though and I think its about as good as we could hope for in terms of a visual representation. So thanks for posting it!
ROFLMFAO, Hey we needed a visual, anything goes with these threads I suppose.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,181 times
No one is denying the fact Chicago area is a great sports city, but, thats due to the fact there is not a great array of things to do, than factor a long winter in there and you have it.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
No one is denying the fact Chicago area is a great sports city, but, thats due to the fact there is not a great array of things to do, than factor a long winter in there and you have it.
I don't know why you have decided to revive this topic, but I'll clue you in. This thread is over and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Both Chicago and San Francisco are equally great and offer so much. It all comes down to personal preference, as one is not any better overall than the other. There are just way too many Chicago vs. Bay Area threads that usually end up in 20+ pages of obnoxious Chicago and SF boosters arguing about nothing.
This post was the official ending for the thread.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:34 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
baseball talent is good all through california. i though the music thing was funny too... the only category I think bay would take it would be the thrash metal scene.

Not even... the bay's always been far bigger for:

Funk
Hip Hop
Rock

Than Chicago's ever been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City