Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better - Chicago or The Bay Area
Chicago 69 61.61%
Bay Area 43 38.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 PM

153 posts, read 381,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Anybody can play make-believe over the internet. I can pretend like I'm a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, and I'm transferring to MIT for my masters. I just holiday in Milwaukee to stay in touch with the peasant class.

I don't believe that you attend any of these schools, let alone got accepted to 3 of them, or that you even applied to any of them in the first place. From the way everybody on this site acts, you would think they're all a bunch globe trotting mega-millionaires. It all seems a bit strange to me that these people have so much time to spend on an internet forum.

PS, I'm not sure why you keep dissing Wisconsin either, UW was ranked highly in both USNews and ARWU.
While all my posts have been arguably civilized and objective, you've just resorted to calling me a liar, point-blank. How low can you get?

You evidently spend much more time on here than me, according to your stats. I guess there's nothing else to do in Milwaukee.

Try to get your data right for once, instead of boosting your own school. UW-Milwaukee is labeled by USNews as a tier-4 school w/an 80% accept rate, and doesn't even rank on the national list. Furthermore, it claims itself as a "top 500" school on the Academic Ranking of World Universities, but doesn't even appear on the 09' rankings, anyone can go see for themselves.

If the only thing you have left is to resort to calling other members liars point-blank, then there's no point to this debate. Have fun in Milwaukee.

To everyone else, SF and Chic are both great cities, and two of the greatest in the country, along with NYC, LA, etc. As jayp1188, Omshahi, others have said, to each his own.

Last edited by DeusEx; 06-08-2010 at 06:45 PM..

Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Too short is a cornball.

I'll let the chi boosters educate you on this in 5..........4.............3............2........... ...1..............

Still waiting.

There's all of about 10 rappers from Chi. I was just talking about this with a friend the other day... there's almost no rappers from the city.

Twista & Mobstability
EC Illa
Kanye West
Common
Vakill
Makin Illanoize
Assault AKA Baby Swolts
Qualo
C.O.G.
Crucial Conflict
Freddie Gibbs (Gary)

... that's about it. 90% of Midwest rappers come from KC anyway.

Oakland by itself probably put out more rap in the 90's than the entire Midwest has put out rap.

Richie Rich
Luniz
Dru Down
Shock G
Ant Banks
Rappin Ron & Ant Diddley Dog
Seagram
Goldy
Hieroglyphics
Hobo Junction
The Whoridas
3XKrazy (Keak's group)
MC Pooh
The BUMS
EA Ski
Baby Ray
Mac Vo
Freddie B

And the list keeps going.

And lol at Too $hort being a cornball. He's the reason why the rest of yall try to pimp on wax... cornball indeed. rofl

Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
true, true. bigger in funk though? explain pls besides sly

remember earth wind and fire, and miles davis which a lot of that funky sound came from are both from chicago along with chess records, coupled with the close approximity of motown and all the stuff coming out of ohio like the isley brothers/ohio players, I just don't see it. then that sound morphed and you got jackson 5 and michael jackson also coming out of chicago area...

even hip hop is questionable, but would give it to oakland for gangsta rap.

I'd have a hard time also with virtually any genre coming out of the black community putting sf on top, jazz, blues, soul, gospel, r&b, etc. chicago is a mecca for all of these and virtually re-invented the entire genres.

I don't know funk anywhere near as well as Rap, but the bay funk scene used to be huge. Jazz-Fusion was big too... George Duke was from San Rafael. I don't know older genres as well (I'm not old lol) but I know they were big.

You got to remember that the bay is the 2nd largest music market in the country after NY... the bay has an extensive music history.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

Still waiting.

There's all of about 10 rappers from Chi. I was just talking about this with a friend the other day... there's almost no rappers from the city.

Twista & Mobstability
EC Illa
Kanye West
Common
Vakill
Makin Illanoize
Assault AKA Baby Swolts
Qualo
C.O.G.
Crucial Conflict
Freddie Gibbs (Gary)

... that's about it. 90% of Midwest rappers come from KC anyway.

Oakland by itself probably put out more rap in the 90's than the entire Midwest has put out rap.

Richie Rich
Luniz
Dru Down
Shock G
Ant Banks
Rappin Ron & Ant Diddley Dog
Seagram
Goldy
Hieroglyphics
Hobo Junction
The Whoridas
3XKrazy (Keak's group)
MC Pooh
The BUMS
EA Ski
Baby Ray
Mac Vo
Freddie B

And the list keeps going.

And lol at Too $hort being a cornball. He's the reason why the rest of yall try to pimp on wax... cornball indeed. rofl
So many people overlook the Bay Area when it comes to Hip-Hop, despite the fact that there are hordes of rappers over here (or they think all we have for hip-hop is hyphy stuff). Hip hop has been big in the Bay Area since the 80's: Too Short, Hugh EMC, 415, IMP, etc, the list goes on. I could probably name 100 rappers from San Francisco, Oakland and Vallejo alone, lol.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
So many people overlook the Bay Area when it comes to Hip-Hop, despite the fact that there are hordes of rappers over here (or they think all we have for hip-hop is hyphy stuff). Hip hop has been big in the Bay Area since the 80's: Too Short, Hugh EMC, 415, IMP, etc, the list goes on. I could probably name 100 rappers from San Francisco, Oakland and Vallejo alone, lol.
Yea exactly... people slept on us when it was Mobb Music so they think its all Hyphy. People think Sideshows are a recent thing... rofl. Those been popping since the 70's...

Oakland + Vallejo + SF + EPA + Richmond = 300+ rappers. The bay's the 2nd biggest hub for rap after NYC. After that it's probably ATL or LA

Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deusex View Post
while all my posts have been arguably civilized and objective, you've just resorted to calling me a liar, point-blank. How low can you get?

If the only thing you have left is to resort to calling other members liars point-blank, then there's no point to this debate. Have fun in milwaukee.
+1

Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
well how about the top 5 rap/r&b acts out of both cities...

Bay Area...

I would assume would be...

E-40
Too $hort
Keak da Sneak
Luniz
Mac Dre

Chicago...

Kanye West
Lupe Fiasco
Common
Twista
R Kelly

most of those other ones on both lists I have never heard of, so really who has the best artists, not just a bunch of them.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
prestige aside,san francisco just isn't much of a sports town. the populous just doesn't care about it that much, at least in comparison to somewhere like chicago which seems to be always a topic of conversation. the strongest support as far as sports fans are in the east/south bay i would imagine.
San Francisco is a known great sports town. The Bay Area as a whole is a great sports area. Both Chicago and the Bay are great sports regions...some of the best in the country. The SF Bay Area being the best sports region on the West Coast, arguably west of the Mississippi. There is a huge and very well known bias for the East half of the U.S. when it comes to sports and ESPN just fuels it. Anyways here is something that is not disputable, although I know some Chicago folks will attempt to discredit this, but the Giant's Dodgers Rivalry is the 2nd best/most storied/important (whatever you want to call it) in baseball after the Yankees/Red Sox and ahead of the Cubs/Cards.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:20 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
well how about the top 5 rap/r&b acts out of both cities...

Bay Area...

I would assume would be...

E-40
Too $hort
Keak da Sneak
Luniz
Mac Dre

Chicago...

Kanye West
Lupe Fiasco
Common
Twista
R Kelly

most of those other ones on both lists I have never heard of, so really who has the best artists, not just a bunch of them.
You're probably right or at least close to it for Chicago, but not for the Bay.

E-40, Mac Dre and Too Short will be in there if we're talking most prolific and well known (meaning people you likely would have heard of before). But 2pac, Keishia Cole, En Vogue, MC Hammer, Digital Underground, Spice 1, Tony Tone Toni/Rafael Saadiq, and Rappin 4-Tay right off the top will rank higher than The Luniz or Keak. Keak really has no business on that list (no offense - I know you were just taking a stab at it. )

If we're talking who's the best, then I would list Andre Nickatina, Equipto, San Quinn, RBL, Saafir, Totally Insane, Cougnut, Messy Marv, UDI, 11/5...really way too many to list that you've likely never heard of before, but most people would likely rank many of them higher than some of those you'd listed. This of course is subjective, but Keak and The Luniz really aren't deserving of that much credit in comparison to many others.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:26 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Most of the rappers that the SF boosters are naming are local acts that few outside the bay area have heard of or would listen to.

Every city has a ton of local rappers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City