Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better - Chicago or The Bay Area
Chicago 69 61.61%
Bay Area 43 38.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
You're probably right or at least close to it for Chicago, but not for the Bay.

E-40, Mac Dre and Too Short will be in there if we're talking most prolific and well known (meaning people you likely would have heard of before). But 2pac, Keishia Cole, En Vogue, MC Hammer, Digital Underground, Spice 1, Tony Tone Toni/Rafael Saadiq, and Rappin 4-Tay right off the top will rank higher than The Luniz or Keak. Keak really has no business on that list (no offense - I know you were just taking a stab at it. )

If we're talking who's the best, then I would list Andre Nickatina, Equipto, San Quinn, RBL, Saafir, Totally Insane, Cougnut, Messy Marv, UDI, 11/5...really way too many to list that you've likely never heard of before, but most people would likely rank many of them higher than some of those you'd listed. This of course is subjective, but Keak and The Luniz really aren't deserving of that much credit in comparison to many others.

lol damn... no love for the town other than Saafir? 80% of those rappers were from HP/Fillmore... you must be from the city. lol.

And The Luniz definitely is... I Got 5 On It by itself warrants a mention.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
That's a little facetious don't you think? The Dodgers/Giants rivalry exists from the days of the Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants. LA and SF had nothing to do with it.
Giants-Dodgers best rivalry in baseball

ESPN.com: MLB - Giants-Dodgers best rivalry in baseball

The 10 greatest rivalries

"A rivalry spawned in New York transferred to the West Coast in 1958. It reached its most famous moment in 1951, when Bobby Thomson's home run beat the Dodgers to win the pennant. When the clubs fought for National League pennants in the '60s, they were also constantly fighting on the field, including the infamous episode when Juan Marichal attacked Johnny Roseboro with a bat. Giants fans loved it when Joe Morgan's homer knocked the Dodgers out on the final day in 1982; Dodgers fans loved it when their team knocked out the Giants in 1993."

ESPN.com - ENDOFCENTURY - ESPN.com's 10 greatest rivalries

"The Dodgers–Giants rivalry is the longest-standing and one of the most storied rivalries in the history of baseball....Given that the cities of Los Angeles and San Francisco have long been competitors in economic, cultural, and political arenas, the new venue in California became fertile ground for its transplantation...Unlike many other historic baseball match-ups in which one team remains dominant for most of their history, the Dodgers–Giants rivalry has exhibited a persistent balance in the respective successes of the two teams. While the Giants have more wins in franchise history, for example, the Dodgers have one more World Series title. Each team's ability to have endured for over a century, leap across an entire continent, as well as the rivalry's growth from a cross-city to a cross-state engagement, have led to the rivalry being considered one of the greatest in sports history.

Possibly the most notorious incident between these two clubs occurred August 22, 1965. In a game at Candlestick Park, Giants pitcher Juan Marichal had hit two Dodgers batters with brushback throws. Dodgers pitcher Sandy Koufax disliked retaliation and only threw a very high pitch over the head of Willie Mays. When Marichal came up to bat later, Koufax apparently had no interest in retaliation directly against Marichal, but Marichal felt that Dodgers catcher Johnny Roseboro was interested, as he claimed Roseboro was returning Koufax's pitches dangerously close to Marichal's head and had clipped his ear with one throw after dropping the ball on the ground. As Marichal and Roseboro began to argue, Marichal (#27) hit the Dodgers catcher on the head with his bat. A bench-clearing brawl ensued."

Dodgers–Giants rivalry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
lol damn... no love for the town other than Saafir? 80% of those rappers were from HP/Fillmore... you must be from the city. lol.

And The Luniz definitely is... I Got 5 On It by itself warrants a mention.
LOL naw, I'm from the West Bay same as you, born in RWC, grew up in San Mateo/Burlingame and on up to DC/SF. But that's funny you noticed that b/c I was conscious of it as I was listing them; I just stopped before I went on too long lol. But it is true, most of my top rappers are from SF than any other city. There's a ton of rappers from the Town that I'd keep at the top of my list too tho!

And I agree that the Luniz deserve honorable mention for that classic and a couple other hits. But as far as top 5 for the Bay I can't include them, personally. Not to take away from them cause I like em, but as a group they didn't really produce enough to rank that high IMO. Yukmouth did more by himself, but even then I can't really put him right next to Short and Mac Dre unless the list includes the top 20.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:59 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Lol dude nobody's heard of most of the people in your list too. R. Kelly and Lupe have already been mentioned (as they should have been), and I fully agree with you on Da Brat and Do or Die. But your list is just as obscure on the national radar (if not more so) than those listed for the Bay Area.

YouTube - Kanye West - Drive Slow (Feat. Paul Wall, GLC & T.I.) (HQ)

YouTube - Rhymefest feat. Kanye West - Brand New

YouTube - Shawnna - Gettin' Some

YouTube - Kid Sister - Pro Nails ft. Kanye West

YouTube - Yung Berg - Do That There (featuring Dude 'N Nem)

YouTube - Official Kidz In The Hall "Driving Down The Block" Video

YouTube - The Cool Kids - Black Mags

Old 06-08-2010, 10:06 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times

Come on now... you knew who he was talking about. 99% of the world has heard of Kanye at this point. Most people know only who Yung Berg is cause he got his Transformers chain snatched... rofl. Ray J has his own TV show. And most people dont know who Rhymefest is. I bet you didn't know he just released an album a couple days ago... case in point

Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
ahhh forgot about hammer, like him or not, one of the most succesful ever and he definitely represented the bay, wasn't he a bat boy for the a's?
Haha yeah I think I remember hearing that before.

Quote:
sadly, mc hammer, along with TMNT the soundtrack are 2 of the first cd's I ever got...
LMAO seriously?? That's too funny!

Quote:
i wouldn't count en vogue or toni tony tone unless we want to get into r&b... r kelly arguably is hip hop/r&b crossover...
Oh I was just following along with your first suggestion: "well how about the top 5 rap/r&b acts out of both cities... "

I thought R. Kelly was your indicator of that, so that was the only reason I mentioned them.

I hear you tho, R. Kelly is kind of a crossover. Although Rafael Saadiq (DJ Quik) and Keyshia Cole (several) could arguably be considered as such too.

Quote:
yes i haven't heard of them except messy marv. I know you have partial claim on 2pac, but the LA posters might come in...
LA posters can come in, but I don't think I've ever seen a single one try and deny that Pac started off as a Bay Area rapper for 80% of his career. He counts as an LA rapper too w/o a doubt, but his first several albums were all Bay Area hip hop, and that's not really up for debate.

But I'd be really surprised if anyone from LA took issue with that anyway. The only one's I've ever seen trying to deny it are people from outside of CA who usually want to take the Bay down a notch.

Quote:
my list was trying to get prolific/well known.
Yeah I was trying to stick to that as well, which is why I listed those first. But I thought if we're going to say who's the "best" as you'd stated, that it should be pointed out that most of our best rappers are largely unknown to the masses.

Quote:
could come down to a 2pac argument...
If it does, I think it should only really include what Pac had done here in the Bay. I wouldn't personally include All Eyes On Me and beyond in that argument.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Other than ATL and LA, no not really. Cities like Philly and Newark get the VAST majority of their sales from neighborhing NY. Similarly, places like Phoneix, Vegas and Sacramento get the vast majority of their sales from the bay area. The South also gets a large portion of its sales from the bay.
You know this because?

Ignorance is bliss.

In most hip-hop circles the bay area is lame.

The only NYC rappers that Philly ppl deal wit are HOV, Cam, and Kiss.

In Philly Millz, GDK, and Reed Dollars, and even Asher Roth(for the burbs) make plenty of local loot. Prolly more than those bay area lames, since there's all of a dozen or so black folks living somwhere in oakland.

Hip-Hop is a predominantly black genre, and Philly is 45% black. So having a high percentage of blacks among the local populace is good money for local artists since most white people who listen to rap only listen to established mainstream national level artists.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Well for somebody who has such a low opinion of the Midwest, why on earth would you want to go to college there in the first place?

Apparently everyone on C-D is fabulously wealthy, has attended an ivy league institution, travels around the globe on private jets, dines at the finest restaurants, and still manages to spend a good deal of their time talking **** on internet forums like this one.
:
No offense man, but he really got into the schools he says he did, and he really goes to school where he says he goes, and he really lives in the Bay Area.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Hip-Hop is a predominantly black genre, and Philly is 45% black. So having a high percentage of blacks among the local populace is good money for local artists since most white people who listen to rap only listen to established mainstream national level artists.
Maybe in Philadelphia, where it sounds like people are in little boxes and they only associate amongst themselves, but in the Bay Area, Hip Hop, Rap Music and R & B are very popular among not only Blacks, but basically every other race as well. My siblings are totally into Rap-its not even funny.

I'm not Black, but I grew up listening to R&B more than any other music by far...and most of my friends, who were of all different races, also grew up totally into that scene.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 PM

So because they're on Youtube I'm supposed to be eating my words and believe they have national mainstream acclaim?? Or is it b/c a couple of them were guests on some Kanye tracks? If that's the case then...

Richie Rich
Luniz
Dru Down
Shock G
Ant Banks
Rappin Ron & Ant Diddley Dog
Seagram
Goldy
Hieroglyphics
Hobo Junction
The Whoridas
3XKrazy (Keak's group)
MC Pooh
The BUMS
EA Ski
Baby Ray
Mac Vo
Freddie B

YouTube - 2Pac feat. richie rich - "I'd Rather Be Ya N.I.G.G.A."

YouTube - Hieroglyphics "You Never Knew"

YouTube - The Luniz "I Got Five On It" (Remix)

YouTube - E-A-Ski feat. E-40 & Keak Da Sneak - Club Talk

YouTube - Tupac feat. Money B and Shock G - I get around (Dirty, Best quality + Lyrics)

YouTube - Keak Da Sneak & The Whoridas - Split Yours

YouTube - 3x Krazy - Keep It On The Real
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City