Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better - Chicago or The Bay Area
Chicago 69 61.61%
Bay Area 43 38.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
All that shows me right there is that Oakland, a much smaller city than Chicago, pumps out more thugs. Speaks volumes about Oakland.
Wow, what a pathetically lame jab. If you're going to troll threads and just talk trash, could you at least try and be somewhat witty about it? You're setting the bar really low.

Get a life.

Btw, I guess this means that you're giving Oakland the nod here in being the better producer of rappers? Backhanded or not, that's what your unnecessary comment amounts to.

Last edited by jman650; 06-08-2010 at 09:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
You're probably right or at least close to it for Chicago, but not for the Bay.

E-40, Mac Dre and Too Short will be in there if we're talking most prolific and well known (meaning people you likely would have heard of before). But 2pac, Keishia Cole, En Vogue, MC Hammer, Digital Underground, Spice 1, Tony Tone Toni/Rafael Saadiq, and Rappin 4-Tay right off the top will rank higher than The Luniz or Keak. Keak really has no business on that list (no offense - I know you were just taking a stab at it. )

If we're talking who's the best, then I would list Andre Nickatina, Equipto, San Quinn, RBL, Saafir, Totally Insane, Cougnut, Messy Marv, UDI, 11/5...really way too many to list that you've likely never heard of before, but most people would likely rank many of them higher than some of those you'd listed. This of course is subjective, but Keak and The Luniz really aren't deserving of that much credit in comparison to many others.

ahhh forgot about hammer, like him or not, one of the most succesful ever and he definitely represented the bay, wasn't he a bat boy for the a's? sadly, mc hammer, along with TMNT the soundtrack are 2 of the first cd's I ever got... i wouldn't count en vogue or toni tony tone unless we want to get into r&b... r kelly arguably is hip hop/r&b crossover... yes i haven't heard of them except messy marv. I know you have partial claim on 2pac, but the LA posters might come in...

my list was trying to get prolific/well known.

somebody care to expand both lists to top 10?

I know the underground scene is big though in the bay, I have never heard of most of them but there are a lot of shows. I see flyers posted all the time.

I think from the top 5, the ones in chicago might have more radio play hits, but the ones in the bay are better lyricists altogether.

could come down to a 2pac argument...

Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Most of the rappers that the SF boosters are naming are local acts that few outside the bay area have heard of or would listen to.

Every city has a ton of local rappers

That's because the bay is a music market within itself, similar to NY... Most rappers don't have to go national because they already make enough $$ off of the bay. Rappers in NY like Cormega never blew up nationally (most people outside of NY have never heard of him) but he makes a respectable income...

Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
well how about the top 5 rap/r&b acts out of both cities...

Bay Area...

I would assume would be...

E-40
Too $hort
Keak da Sneak
Luniz
Mac Dre

Chicago...

Kanye West
Lupe Fiasco
Common
Twista
R Kelly

most of those other ones on both lists I have never heard of, so really who has the best artists, not just a bunch of them.

Mac Dre was murdered in 04. The fact that people are still releasing his unreleased material and his music still gets played regularly in the bay speaks volumes.

The Luniz haven't been a group since the early 2000's... 1/2 of the group is serving a bid.

E-40's the only one on that list who's both relevant and alive.

Currently relevant bay area artists at the moment would be:

E-40
J-Stalin
The Jacka
Messy Marv
Andre Nickatina
Mistah FAB
Too $hort
D-Lo
San Quinn
Traxamillion
Philthy Rich

Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
That's because the bay is a music market within itself, similar to NY... Most rappers don't have to go national because they already make enough $$ off of the bay. Rappers in NY like Cormega never blew up nationally (most people outside of NY have never heard of him) but he makes a respectable income...
So I guess other metros are not markets within themselves. Only NYC and the bay area

Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
There's quite a few rappers from Chicago you forgot:
The Cool Kids
Da Brat
Diverse
Do or Die
Earatik Statik
GLC
Kid Sister
Kidz in the Hall
The Legendary Traxster
Lupe Fiasco
Marz
MC Juice
Mr. Lee
No I.D.
Qwel
Rhymefest
R. Kelly
Shawnna
Snypaz
Speedknot Mobstaz
Yung Berg
Young Blaze

Aside from Tech N9ne and Mac Lethal, who else is from KC?
Quote:
But nobody's heard of most of those people with the exception of rappers like E-40, B-Legit, Too $hort, Mistah FAB, and Rappin' 4-Tay.
Lol dude nobody's heard of most of the people in your list too. R. Kelly and Lupe have already been mentioned (as they should have been), and I fully agree with you on Da Brat and Do or Die. But your list is just as obscure on the national radar (if not more so) than those listed for the Bay Area.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Read it in a rap history book... forget the title of it. It's not surprising either... The bay area has the most disposible $$$$$ to spend on entertainment. Grassroots and Independent movements get a lot of support over here... more support than in most places. The bay is also the largest supporter of the south outside of the south... OutKast sold 6 million records off of the bay alone.
Are we just supposed to take your word for it? Can you substantiate any of these claims with something other than your own opinion?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
There's quite a few rappers from Chicago you forgot:
The Cool Kids
Da Brat
Diverse
Do or Die
Earatik Statik
GLC
Kid Sister
Kidz in the Hall
The Legendary Traxster
Lupe Fiasco
Marz
MC Juice
Mr. Lee
No I.D.
Qwel
Rhymefest
R. Kelly
Shawnna
Snypaz
Speedknot Mobstaz
Yung Berg
Young Blaze

Aside from Tech N9ne and Mac Lethal, who else is from KC?

True... my point was just that there's that many rappers just from the 90's Oakland rap scene, a city about 1/10th the size of Chicago. None of the above was including SF, Vallejo, EPA, Richmond, SJ or Pittsburg. You could say that you're not including Gary and Harvey but Chi by itself is larger than the bay.

And KC has a lot of rappers.

Fat Tone (RIP)
Rich The Factor
Ghetto Kaos
Tech N9ne
Mac Lethal
Macc James
Snug Brim
Swell L
PHILSTIR
The Popper
Veteran Click
Rappin Twan
Southside Posse
Don Juan

An a lot more.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Are we just supposed to take your word for it? Can you substantiate any of these claims with something other than your own opinion?

Big Boi said it himself at the Rock The Bells concert last year... the bay area was OutKast's biggest supporter by far.

As for the 2nd biggest music market thing I'll try to find the book.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
So I guess other metros are not markets within themselves. Only NYC and the bay area

Other than ATL and LA, no not really. Cities like Philly and Newark get the VAST majority of their sales from neighborhing NY. Similarly, places like Phoneix, Vegas and Sacramento get the vast majority of their sales from the bay area. The South also gets a large portion of its sales from the bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City