Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better - Chicago or The Bay Area
Chicago 69 61.61%
Bay Area 43 38.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:25 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,971 times

Advertisements

I forgot to note, Chicago has great Eastern European food

Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
And you guys wonder why I trash 'em every chance I get.
Actually what we wonder is why SF is in your thoughts and in your dreams so much. Why is it haunting you and causing you to lash out? And why do you have a poster of it in your room and a picture of SF on your desktop that you pleasure yourself to? These are the things we all have been wondering, not your bitterness.

Your being an SF-hater is clearly b/c your whack city gets no love and is completely out-shined by all the other top cities of this country, and little SF beats it out in most departments. All that breeds bitterness, which is easy for us to understand. Your fatal attraction-esque stalking of it and ceaseless fixation on it are what we find puzzling.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Apparently people in CA can't afford to live there either.

Tent City, Sacramento, CA on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/julia_fredenburg/3544289533/ - broken link)

Tent City near my office in Fresno on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/30414688@N00/3479153302/ - broken link)
Touche!

Quote:
WI-IL-IN >>> CA
Umm, no LOL. Not even close.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I prefer not to bicker so I'm simply going to address the OP's criteria.

Affordability: clearly Chicago, SF is one of the most expensive cities and regions for a reason.

Night Life: Tie, because neither is a Tier I city in terms of nightlife in the NYC, Vegas, Miami mold. However, you will find more than enough to do if you have friends and know where to go.

Diversity: it's gotta be SF, all data that I've seen from Lifeshadower and others point to this. It's not like it's a runaway, but if you have to choose one, it's SF.

Which would you rather live it: for me it's easy, SF becaue of the mild weather. Extreme weather wreaks havoc on my sensitive skin and fragile health. I love the combination of nature, mountains near near the ocean, with freshwater streaming into a bay. All this plus you get a top 5 city in terms of urbanity. I've also decided to embrace my inner geek and thus love living near the epicenter of new media and technology. SF's ideal, at least for me.
This.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
How can a city with a 2am last call (SF) possibly have as good of nightlife as a city with a 5am last call (CHI)?
Well if the parties are better, the drinks are better, the music's better, the crowd is more exciting, and the diversity of scenes and things to do is better then the later last call wouldn't really make a difference. Not saying this is the case since I've never been to Chicago and wouldn't be able to accurately make that comparison, but just to answer your question it could be done.

Generally speaking though, I would agree with what you're asking here for the most part. I think the 2AM liquor lock is BS, as does most of the US. People end up getting more wasted and being more dangerous on the road IMO when they try and pound drinks faster to finish before 2AM.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Let me cover a few points:

Bay Area has :
1.Better food, better dining options, better produce
2.Better weather year round
3.Much better terrain and close proximity to every flavor of outdoor activity
4.Better universities,jobs
5.Much more diversity
6.Culture

this is just a start
1. tie, tie, yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. no, no
5. less/more
6. they both have crazy amount of culture.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
SF wins becuase SF is a super ultra mega world alpha beta plus infinity city.
Lol.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Just curious, since your posts have changed quite drastically recently. Have you spent much time outside of Sonoma since you've moved out here? You seem to not have too much experience with SF itself and liken the Bay to the lifestyle that exists in Sonoma County. Have you gotten to explore other sides of the Bay much at all during your short time here?
Yeah a lot of it is towards Sonoma County, I try to get down to SF whenever I can for my city fix. Was just shopping on telegraph hill last weekend which was really cool. I've been mostly to the cities in the north bay and SF/Berk. South bay is a little too far but I want to go down to the monterey aquarium soon. I had some opportunities open up in Chi but will still be out here a lot (winter)
Could end up back who knows, with the economy it is hard to know. I'm keeping myself mobile.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:44 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Actually what we wonder is why SF is in your thoughts and in your dreams so much. Why is it haunting you and causing you to lash out? And why do you have a poster of it in your room and a picture of SF on your desktop that you pleasure yourself to? These are the things we all have been wondering, not your bitterness.

Your being an SF-hater is clearly b/c your whack city gets no love and is completely out-shined by all the other top cities of this country, and little SF beats it out in most departments. All that breeds bitterness, which is easy for us to understand. Your fatal attraction-esque stalking of it and ceaseless fixation on it are what we find puzzling.
It has been bashing Chicago though.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican312 View Post
Chicago's Puerto Rican Day Parade is the city's largest and America's 2nd largest Puerto Rican Parade.About 2 million people line up and down Columbus Dr. in downtown Chicago for the city's PR parade. The PR fest in Humboldt Park is the city's largest latino festival in the midwest drawing about 1 million people.

Chicago is more diverse then San Francisco.There is about 850,000 latinos in the city of Chicago.That's more latinos(not counting Chicago's whites,blacks,and asians) then all of SF's population put together.Chicago has people from all over the world and is more diverse then SF.

Demographics of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chicago is the World's 5th most economically powerful city according to Mastercard index.Chicago Loop is America's 2nd most powerful finanacial district.Chicago's economy crushes SF.Chicago has the world's tallest skyline based on the average height of the 10 tallest completed builings. I could write a book in every thing Chicago out ranks SF in.....but i'm going to stop.

Chicago> The whole bay area
Says the clown who was embarrassing Chicago in that other thread by internet banging. Yeah, you're a good, credible source to make that assessment.

Have you ever been to SF? Do you actually know anything about it, or are you just all about boosting your city in this comparison? (You really don't have to answer that. The last question was rhetorical and the answer is already obvious.)

And who the hell cares about the Puerto Rican Day Parade? That's supposed to make Chicago greater than SF to everyone? Try being a little more Rican-centric next time.

If I wanted to base my opinion solely on your post, every single inch of the Bay Area separately >>>>> all of Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City