Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better - Chicago or The Bay Area
Chicago 69 61.61%
Bay Area 43 38.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
1. tie, tie, yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. no, no
5. less/more
6. they both have crazy amount of culture.
Dude, I was going to post something exactly the same as you.

Chicago and San Francisco are tied for best dining, both are under NYC. Check any source, you'll get the same answer!

College depends on what you want to do, Standford and Berkeley is very impressive but University of Chicago and Northwestern are some of the best in the country too.

Yeah diversity works both ways, Chicago has a ton of European culture, Polish, German, etc... while Bay Area has a ton of Asian culture, they both have weak points but can cancel each other out, it depends on who you are and what you prefer.

Basically for the rest, Grapico summed it up nicely.

Both are great places, just depends on who you are and what you want.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It has been bashing Chicago though.
That's not Dementor dude, Killakoolaide is a known Bay Area hater. Look at the SanFran/Tampa thread for more details.

Dementor hates on Chicago, Killkoolaide hates on Bay Area... good to know we're amongst good company here on CD...

Old 06-04-2010, 02:47 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
1. tie, tie, yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. no, no
5. less/more
Really? You don't think Berkeley and Stanford put SF past Chicago in the "Universities" category?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Really? You don't think Berkeley and Stanford put SF past Chicago in the "Universities" category?
Overall yes, they are more prestigious and better known schools. They do deserve the edge over Chicago. But Chicago isn't a slouch in education either. U.Chicago and Northwestern are amongst the best in the country as well.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It has been bashing Chicago though.
I think you might be getting him confused with some of the Chicago-bashing trolls. This dude has the Bay Area on his mind more than Bay Area residents do. Check his posts. Its really sad, actually.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
That's not Dementor dude, Killakoolaide is a known Bay Area hater. Look at the SanFran/Tampa thread for more details.

Dementor hates on Chicago, Killkoolaide hates on Bay Area... good to know we're amongst good company here on CD...
Haha seriously!

Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Overall yes, they are more prestigious and better known schools. They do deserve the edge over Chicago. But Chicago isn't a slouch in education either. U.Chicago and Northwestern are amongst the best in the country as well. Especially for Business.
This sounds about right. I know Chicago has some great schools, I just was surprised to hear someone flat out denying the Bay the edge in that category.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:55 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,971 times
Quote:
1. tie, tie, yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. no, no
5. less/more
Chicago does not even have a Michelin guide, Gayot top 40 restaurants in the country lists San Francisco alone with more than Chicago, not even including the wine country. It terms of quality of produce, the true breadbasket of the country is California. Its not a slight , its fact.

As far as education, what does Chicagoland have that comes close to Stanford or Cal? Seriously

Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
This sounds about right. I know Chicago has some great schools, I just was surprised to hear someone flat out denying the Bay the edge in that category.
No way dude, the Bay Area holds it's own in the education department. My cousin took up an IT job (11 years ago) there instead of NYC just because of the education factor, he wanted his kids to be amongst the best area for that.

It plays a huge role in the lifestyle of people in Bay Area, especially for those in the San Jose MSA it seems.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
if you just went with those 2 then yes, but I think the other ones in Chi put them slightly over the Bay Area. when you add Loyola University, University of Illinois Chicago, Northeastern Illinois University, Northern Illinois University, DePaul University, Art Institute, Academy of Art, Illinois Institute of Technology, RUSH Med, Roosevelt and Columbia College.
UChi can go head to head with Stanford, NW not quite on THAT level but still a powerful private. Chicago does not have an answer for UCB. even if you include U of I in champain.
overall I would rank them...
1. UC tied with Stanford
2. UCB
3. NW

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Chicago does not even have a Michelin guide, Gayot top 40 restaurants in the country lists San Francisco alone with more than Chicago, not even including the wine country. It terms of quality of produce, the true breadbasket of the country is California. Its not a slight , its fact.

As far as education, what does Chicagoland have that comes close to Stanford or Cal? Seriously
You realize the #1 restaurant in the U.S. currently is in Chicago though right? They got Michelin guide largely b/c of the addition of wine country being an international destination along with SF for Europeans...

I totally agree on the produce. It is very noticeable...just in day to day life in what you can get in grocery stores. Strawberries, avocados, tomatoes...etc. are the best I have ever had here. Seafood is also much better.

Really depends on the cuisine though, many SF wins, many Chi wins.

Last edited by grapico; 06-04-2010 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City