Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:29 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't have taken Jones anywhere because of the reasons I stated. We're miles worse than the next-worst team in the NFL; we're about 10,000 steps away from needing to worry about whether we missed out on "The Guy." Four or five years from now when we finally break .500, we can worry about that -- I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 06:08 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I wouldn't have taken Jones anywhere because of the reasons I stated. We're miles worse than the next-worst team in the NFL; we're about 10,000 steps away from needing to worry about whether we missed out on "The Guy." Four or five years from now when we finally break .500, we can worry about that -- I hope.
But the Browns did draft Kessler with a third round pick. Are you saying this was a mistake???

Old 05-01-2016, 06:08 PM

No, because Kessler's a relative no-name.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
No, because Kessler's a relative no-name.
Let's see. You wouldn't have drafted Jones with a fourth round pick because we shouldn't squander picks on a QB, but it's OK to take a "no-name" QB with a more valuable third round pick.

Talk about a dumb Browns fan....

Old 05-01-2016, 07:00 PM

Not interested in discussing individual picks too much because this team is so far away from even being average. But to answer your question, yes, I would have done what is necessary to avoid yet another QB controversy. Thus, I would not have drafted Cardale -- anywhere.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Not interested in discussing individual picks too much because this team is so far away from even being average. But to answer your question, yes, I would have done what is necessary to avoid yet another QB controversy. Thus, I would not have drafted Cardale -- anywhere.
So you're in the Mary Kay Cabot corner. Wow. I certainly in the future wouldn't be calling other Browns fans dumb when that's the keen expert you're following. As I said in post 6, I think Mary Kay Cabot writes drivel (I actually wrote "dribble;" LOL, too much NBA play-off watching).

If Cardale Jones ends up as a franchise quarterback, a definite possibility IMO and worth a fourth round pick to find out for the reasons that I stated, this will be one of the dumbest (to use your word again) and painful decisions in 21st century Browns history. The "Johnny Football" decision will pale in comparison. Hue Jackson's career will be forever scarred by the mistake, especially in Cleveland. It will be like not drafting LeBron James.

I guess the same could be said by Connor Cook but I don't believe he has the same physical tools as Jones, and certainly isn't as popular in Cleveland even though Cook also is a Cleveland native.

The only good thing is that perhaps the Browns could lure Jones back as a free agent. It's not like Buffalo is southern CA or Miami.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-01-2016 at 07:20 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,978 times
I think that FINALLY they're figuring it out. I think they reached for a couple of their picks (esp. 2nd and 3rd rounds) but otherwise did a good job. And what a group of players, and personalities, and stories. The draft always makes for great TV. My prediction: the wide receiver out of Colorado State is going to be the breakout one of the group. Or maybe with his haircut and personality I'm just rooting for it.
And who wouldn't want "Scooby" to do well?
We needed young bodies that can play. We went out and got that with this draft. FINALLY for the first time since they returned in '99, actually.
SO glad we didn't trade Joe Thomas, as was the talk. Don't get why you would trade a 30 year old tackle at his peak, heading for the Hall of Fame for a low 1st/high 2nd rounder. Is the 26th or 27th best player coming out of college better than Joe Thomas? Ridiculous. About time we thought of star players in terms of "let's keep him until the end" instead of "what can we get for him."
I also don;'t get the cries for "why didn't we draft Ohio State players" and that the Browns are stupid because they didn't. Every year we go through this. A college QB/athlete skill set does not always match up to an NFL skill set at all. Take a flyer on a guy sure in a late pick or a as a free agent walk-on, but not if he's not want you want for the good of the team. Too many Cleveland Browns fans let their love for the Buckeyes cloud their thinking. Terrell Pryor, anyone?
That said, I thought for sure the Browns were going to take Vonn Bell in round 2. Because of need and because he's a great fit, not because he wore scarlet and grey.
And the Browns (and every other team in the league) must know something about Connor Cook that we don't. Must have been worse than we thought.

Last edited by kpl1228; 05-02-2016 at 08:51 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 10:56 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
Every dumb Browns fan, of which there are a lot.

These fans are determined to create a quarterback controversy. They live to argue about it; it's why they get up in the morning. Meanwhile the rest of the team is always dog crap, and the QB issue distorts people's views on what needs to be done to rebuild the roster. Remember, this team is 4-28 the last three years in games not started by Brian Hoyer. In other words, they've been so bad that the only sign of life they've had recently has been some good games and leadership from a guy who will be a backup for the rest of his career. Think about that.

Glad the new regime didn't cater to these fools by going after Cook or Cardale. It's way past time we try something different.
Can you blame them based on Cleveland QB draft history? You can buy a Browns QB jersey at the start of the season and see it on clearance by the end of the year.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:38 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Well PFF gave the Browns an A.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-all-32-teams/

Really it's pointless to grade these drafts until about 3 years down the road anyway.

I thought Goff was the only QB worth a high 1st, so I liked that they traded for all of the picks. With 14 some of them have to work out!

There's a lot to like about Wentz, but his competition and lack of experience scare me. Lynch strikes me as a big-armed guy who is raw, and that often does not go well. Although he's in an ideal situation in Denver.

Don't really know why people are bent out of shape about Kessler. At that point in the draft it's a crap shoot on QB's, and there would be flaws with whoever they selected. Yeah, maybe they could have waited another round, but it seemed like he's the guy they wanted and they may have been spooked after Hackenberg and Brissett came off the boards.

I personally didn't want anything to do with Cook or Jones. Cook may end up OK, but he's a punk and his completion percentage is too low. Jones is a physical specimen, but he has bad mechanics and can't read a defense. I think Jones will be a terrible NFL QB.

Kessler has physical limitations, but he is at least smart and accurate with good mechanics. His ball velocity at the combine was not great, but indicated an adequate NFL arm (it was better than Cook's actually).

Old 05-02-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well PFF gave the Browns an A.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-all-32-teams/

Really it's pointless to grade these drafts until about 3 years down the road anyway.

I thought Goff was the only QB worth a high 1st, so I liked that they traded for all of the picks. With 14 some of them have to work out!

There's a lot to like about Wentz, but his competition and lack of experience scare me. Lynch strikes me as a big-armed guy who is raw, and that often does not go well. Although he's in an ideal situation in Denver.

Don't really know why people are bent out of shape about Kessler. At that point in the draft it's a crap shoot on QB's, and there would be flaws with whoever they selected. Yeah, maybe they could have waited another round, but it seemed like he's the guy they wanted and they may have been spooked after Hackenberg and Brissett came off the boards.

I personally didn't want anything to do with Cook or Jones. Cook may end up OK, but he's a punk and his completion percentage is too low. Jones is a physical specimen, but he has bad mechanics and can't read a defense. I think Jones will be a terrible NFL QB.

Kessler has physical limitations, but he is at least smart and accurate with good mechanics. His ball velocity at the combine was not great, but indicated an adequate NFL arm (it was better than Cook's actually).
Thanks for posting this link. It's a very informative summary of the entire draft. C-D won't let me give you more cred.

After reading the author's comments on both Kessler and Jones, I still would have taken Jones in the fourth round and met an area of need with the third round pick used to take Kessler, who likely wouldn't have been drafted until a much later round, if at all, according to many analyses.

I just wanted to go on record regarding the Browns' QB draft choices.

I wish I had posted my disgust with the Manziel draft pick at the time, but see my post 44 here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...elander-5.html

Reading the rest of that thread, I suddenly realized the foundation for my hunch about Jones.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-02-2016 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: