Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think there's a 90% chance it's east of the Mississippi. Other than Austin, I can't see too many other places to the west having any significant chance, and even Austin seems too small to me with poor transit and small airport (and too much Texas sprawl to be all that urban).
I agree that it will likely be eastern most likely, possibly in the Midwest.

Denver would be far from any other tech talent pool, plus there are reasons why businesses open up hq's on opposite coasts (or at least far enough to be a few hours difference in time zone).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 PM

4,216 posts, read 3,302,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I listed Denver as a possibility just because everyone seems to be saying it is and because it does have at least some of the qualities that Amazon is looking for. However, I still don't think it makes sense to base a 2nd HQ in the same half of the country as the 1st. Plus, Denver is so isolated compared to other major cities. It's out there all by itself surrounded by emptiness in all directions for hundreds of miles. It just makes more sense for them to be in a city with relative proximity to like... anywhere, somewhere. I think there's a 90% chance it's east of the Mississippi. Other than Austin, I can't see too many other places to the west having any significant chance, and even Austin seems too small to me with poor transit and small airport (and too much Texas sprawl to be all that urban).
I've seen about 100 posts on this subject declaring western cities are not a possibility based on their proximity to Seattle. I have yet to see one post explaining this reasoning. If it were the 1950's I think I would get it, but I'm not seeing how the geographic location makes any difference in 2017. Do the Amazon employees need to be ready bright and early at the opening bell of east coast stock exchanges? I'm not getting it.

I also don't see, given what was laid out in the RFP, how Austin would even be a consideration. It falls well short of major requirements. If you're going into Texas, and you're serious, why would you pick Austin over DFW? I don't think this is a project by Amazon to get third tier cities into prime time.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:44 PM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I've seen about 100 posts on this subject declaring western cities are not a possibility based on their proximity to Seattle. I have yet to see one post explaining this reasoning. If it were the 1950's I think I would get it, but I'm not seeing how the geographic location makes any difference in 2017. Do the Amazon employees need to be ready bright and early at the opening bell of east coast stock exchanges? I'm not getting it.

I also don't see, given what was laid out in the RFP, how Austin would even be a consideration. It falls well short of major requirements. If you're going into Texas, and you're serious, why would you pick Austin over DFW? I don't think this is a project by Amazon to get third tier cities into prime time.
I think by opening up a new region you'd expand your talent pool. Statistically people are not likely to leave their region. Someone from Detroit, Cincy, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Indy, etc are far more likely to move to Cleveland for a job than Seattle. No point in expanding to Portland or Salt Lake or something where they'd be pulling from the same labor pool.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
There are too many assumptions with this and most other similar comments.

1 Yes, but most cities who will bid will have amenities - yes it will vary, but Detroit doesn't really stand out
2 Yes, but again, not unique. They don't need all of the land. They need what they need, which granted is big, but anything beyond what they need is irrelevant to the RFP
3 Yes, but let's not assume that all of the labor pool in Detroit or any city, especially the longer unemployed is qualified. Hopefully the winning city will be a big benefit. Certainly there will be indirect benefits in terms of service jobs etc.
4 Yes Michigan is significant, but as close as it it is, it's not in Detroit. It's a plus though
5 It would be big, IF that's part of what Amazon is looking to do.
The fact is that it would be a big story for a number of similar cities as well.
6 Not sure of what the point is on this one?
7, Yes, but not unique among the region

Already mentioned I believe, but Grand Rapids is doing quite well, though too small for Amazon at this point.
I'll agree to disagree, largely. Detroit's very low cost of living paired with its large city amenities give it a big advantage. Only Atlanta would be comparable, and even then Detroit is Atlanta without the traffic.

Detroit also has a lot of available cleared space directly adjacent to the best areas of town (Downtown, Corktown, and Midtown). So it'd meet the "energy" component Amazon was looking for. It could probably even locate a building or two right on the Q-Line (or the people mover).

The Canada point was made because Amazon is considering locating the HQ2 in Canada. Which would more than likely mean they intend the HQ2 to at least have the ability to serve Canada. What better place to go then a region where most people have upgraded driver's licenses that allow them to go to and from Canada easily? Amazon would essentially be hiring a lot of employees that could do work both in the US and Canada with ease.

Were I will agree is the labor pool. You have a point, a lot of the unemployed could be unqualified to work for Amazon. Or long-term unemployed on disability, etc.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 AM

378 posts, read 342,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Based on what?
I originally thought Philadelphia, which I still think has a strong shot. However, after reading a number of pieces regarding this whole situation, Denver seems increasingly likely as it fits so well with the image and that is an overwhelmingly strong factor, I think.

I also do tend to think that Amazon knows exactly where it wants to put this investment and this competition is just a way to see if they can get anything extra out of the deal.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:19 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
I'd love to see them choose Detroit.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:36 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
Quote:
Denver seems increasingly likely as it fits so well with the image and that is an overwhelmingly strong factor, I think.
I don't think that Denver fits well into a duel HQ model well. There are legitimate business reasons to want to be in the eastern time zone, not to mention the proximity to a much bigger population.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:48 AM

800 posts, read 952,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I've seen about 100 posts on this subject declaring western cities are not a possibility based on their proximity to Seattle. I have yet to see one post explaining this reasoning.

Eastern time zone is a huge deal. I have a brother in California who works remotely for a company in Atlanta. He has to get up at 5am every day. No doubt Amazon has several hundred if not thousand employees in Seattle who must be in at 5am to deal with issues on the east coast.

That goes for vendor issues probably more than technical issues, but no doubt there are IT issues at all of the fulfillment operations in the east. The east and central time zones have the majority of the U.S. population and will have the majority of Amazon workers, if they don't already.

The Prime Air Hub is in the eastern time zone. That is yet another reason for a HQ in the eastern or central time zones.

A commentator from Seattle speculates that Amazon is actually planning to move the real HQ to the eastern or central time zones and that the city of Seattle shouldn't take Amazon for granted.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:54 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/h...133034079.html

The Chicago-Columbus hyperloop route has made it into the top 10 finalists globally. Would be great to see this and AHQ2 come to the city. I have doubts either would ever happen, but total fantasy result at this point. Would be fantastic for Ohio in general, though.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:33 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
I originally thought Philadelphia, which I still think has a strong shot. However, after reading a number of pieces regarding this whole situation, Denver seems increasingly likely as it fits so well with the image and that is an overwhelmingly strong factor, I think.
I have a friend who is a real estate developer in Colorado and he told me that Amazon is checking out the Boulder area. It offers the Univ. of Colorado, robust tech industries, sterling outdoor recreation, and a national cachet. It's not, however, particularly cheap.

Denver likely is under serious consideration by Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland