Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 10:49 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You just sound like every old person who couldn't understand a younger generation and didn't want to. The idea that you have to get married, have kids and live in the suburbs or otherwise you are a self-centered brat is some real 1950s thinking. I'm not even a Millennial and I find that completely boring. It's okay, join us here in 2017.
Sorry, but there's no generation gap anymore. I don't care who gets married and has kids or not; just pointing out facts. Sorry, I wasn't alive in the '50s, sounds like you may have been though. The '50s adults with that decades thinking are long gone.

I didn't say you were a millennial. The moving to Mexico City example was just an example of millennial self-centeredness. Other than you denying the millennial association with that example, it sounds like the taking advantage of a poor country and being self-centered applies to you as well. You may not be a millennial but you have similar traits it sounds like.

Anyway, I wonder if CLE is going to make an official bid for Amazon. I hope so since CLE is a shoe-in for winning it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
I am turning 28 in a couple weeks. I think millennials trash marriage and children because they are afraid or anything that involves dedication and commitment and especially hard work. It's easier, though ultimately empty, to pursue your own ideals independent of anyone else. You'll never feel like you compromised your life for someone who doesn't appreciate the sacrifice. But on the other hand, you never really "live" in my opinion. The millennial life experience and attitude is foreign to 99% of all people who have ever lived. Are we smarter than They? I submit no.

Personally I do think marriage is exciting, much more so than being 36 with roommates in a coastal city where you don't know the names of your neighbors (who change ever year anyway). More exciting than constantly worrying about your status among your peers so you can get more tinder dates. I am not married but if you asked me what I want to do, I'd rather get married and move to Cleveland or go live somewhere in New Hampshire or something. I think my generation will realize their mistakes when their looks start to fade.

To note though: millennials who think like me are more numerous than a lot assume. We just don't incessantly tweet about it.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 AM

37,129 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Cleveland is probably the least expensive city for land and cost of living among US cities that meet the mass transit and airport requirements, but it's a harder sell in terms of currently being attractive to very well-compensated tech workers so it'd have to be a pretty slick proposal. Has the city announced that they're trying for the bid?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:28 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,726 times
Do we know which Ohio cities will respond to the RFP?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Do we know which Ohio cities will respond to the RFP?
Cincinnati, for one. Here's a local media scoop...
Amazon: Does Cincinnati have what it takes to land Amazon headquarters? - Insider - Story

Last edited by motorman; 09-12-2017 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 10:15 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Sorry, but there's no generation gap anymore. I don't care who gets married and has kids or not; just pointing out facts. Sorry, I wasn't alive in the '50s, sounds like you may have been though. The '50s adults with that decades thinking are long gone.

I didn't say you were a millennial. The moving to Mexico City example was just an example of millennial self-centeredness. Other than you denying the millennial association with that example, it sounds like the taking advantage of a poor country and being self-centered applies to you as well. You may not be a millennial but you have similar traits it sounds like.

Anyway, I wonder if CLE is going to make an official bid for Amazon. I hope so since CLE is a shoe-in for winning it.

You have no idea why I moved or anything about my personal life, and I can tell you that you're completely wrong in that regard. No surprise from someone who seems to personally resent 76 million other people you don't know personally, either.
The fact is that the newest generation is always the most scapegoated. They're always the most "lazy, self-centered", etc. That's always been true. Some Millennials seem to want different things based on how they grew up- largely in a time of great uncertainty. Think of the major events that shaped their lives- 9/11, terrorism, economic recession, growing nationalism, housing collapse... these things tend to change how people think and what their priorities are. It's no surprise to me that that generation may be putting less emphasis on buying stuff like houses, cars and other material things when they grew up seeing their parents struggling to pay for them, or even losing them. It's also of no surprise that they'd be motivated to try different careers and be willing to move places where their economic advantages might be more stable. This might include living at home longer (a very common practice globally, but frowned upon in the US), moving to urban areas or trying to be self-employed. How all this turned into them being the laziest, most self-centered generation, I don't know, but those attitudes have long been par for the course. Even then, these are just generalizations and hardly represent all Millennials. The fact is that the generation will likely be just fine, and be as productive as any other. They can't be worse than the Boomers, that's for sure.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:16 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Cleveland is probably the least expensive city for land and cost of living among US cities that meet the mass transit and airport requirements, but it's a harder sell in terms of currently being attractive to very well-compensated tech workers so it'd have to be a pretty slick proposal. Has the city announced that they're trying for the bid?
I would think Detroit would be even cheaper, and it's gotten some buzz recently on the tech side. Of course, it also arguably has far more serious problems than Cleveland, so I think it's an even bigger long shot.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You have no idea why I moved or anything about my personal life, and I can tell you that you're completely wrong in that regard. No surprise from someone who seems to personally resent 76 million other people you don't know personally, either.
The fact is that the newest generation is always the most scapegoated. They're always the most "lazy, self-centered", etc. That's always been true. Some Millennials seem to want different things based on how they grew up- largely in a time of great uncertainty. Think of the major events that shaped their lives- 9/11, terrorism, economic recession, growing nationalism, housing collapse... these things tend to change how people think and what their priorities are. It's no surprise to me that that generation may be putting less emphasis on buying stuff like houses, cars and other material things when they grew up seeing their parents struggling to pay for them, or even losing them. It's also of no surprise that they'd be motivated to try different careers and be willing to move places where their economic advantages might be more stable. This might include living at home longer (a very common practice globally, but frowned upon in the US), moving to urban areas or trying to be self-employed. How all this turned into them being the laziest, most self-centered generation, I don't know, but those attitudes have long been par for the course. Even then, these are just generalizations and hardly represent all Millennials. The fact is that the generation will likely be just fine, and be as productive as any other. They can't be worse than the Boomers, that's for sure.
I would add to the list of continued millennials' parents payments: the millennials themselves.

Don't care or know why you moved to a 3rd world country but you stated that you get to enjoy a great lifestyle and all the advantages of low cost living in Mexico City...it's so cheap...yet mired in poverty.

The millennials were raised for the most part by boomers, no doubt. At least the boomers passed joints and flowers around for a while.

Last edited by Kamms; 09-12-2017 at 01:31 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 12:57 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,726 times
Quote:
I would add to the last of continued millennials' parents payments: the millennials themselves.

Don't care or know why you moved to a 3rd world country but you stated that you get to enjoy a great lifestyle and all the advantages of low cost living in Mexico City...it's so cheap...yet mired in poverty.

The millennials were raised for the most part by boomers, no doubt. At least the boomers passed joints and flowers around for a while.
Admittedly, I haven't followed this entire thread, but Jesus, why so worked up? That is pretty passive aggressive and not so passive aggressive.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
How is CIN going to pull the wool over Amazon's eyes, for example, about its ''mass transit'' system?

Blue Ash, Oakley, or Boone County, KY? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland