Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 06:53 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Uh, we all know about Millennials and that they shouldn't be ignored as they have fueled cities' growth, esp. the ''new big cities''. They are bland and robotic and are the future, nonetheless and are, for now, the future.

Couple future issues: when they marry/kids, out to the 'burbs though in many cities and, their general self-centeredness is contributing to some never marrying/no kids so some will stay in the cities.

Yet, despite the living in the city hoopla, more millennials are heading to suburbs even today.

Uh, to you use one of your recent quotes, I think you are being a little too sensitive about this...
Man, you really seem to despise 76 million people. I'm sure each and every one of them is exactly the same. Just like every generation.

You do realize that people move largely based on economics. A lot more people want to live in the city than can actually afford to do so, so they are stuck with suburban- and less expensive- options. It has nothing to do with desire.

Also, why is it self-centered to not want to get married or have kids?

Sensitive about what? The suggestion was the Millennials are choosing bland cities, sort of a resentment on why they're not picking Cleveland. A "why don't they know what's good for them" sentiment. I just disagree with that attitude, and I have no doubt that Amazon is looking for a city that is attractive to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I don't think public perception is necessarily a great benchmark, anyway.

What do you mean by that?
I mean that Cleveland is better than its public perception. I generally think public perception can be way off and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Cleveland.com articles??? An example would be informative.

In C-D forums, there are certain attitudes dismissive of Cleveland expressed by posters from Cincinnati and Columbus that frustrate Cleveland posters. This is evident in the debate between Cincinnati and Cleveland posters in this thread.

As you well know, some Columbus posters also refuse to admit the great economic benefit conferred on Columbus as the state capital. Generally, posters from not only Cleveland but also Cincinnati and elsewhere in Ohio find such denials preposterous.
Look up literally any time the census comes out with population numbers and you'll see that site filled with all sorts of Columbus trashing.

And as I suspected, this is just turning into another chip-on-shoulder 3-C bash fest. I'm out.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:09 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I mean that Cleveland is better than its public perception. I generally think public perception can be way off and shouldn't be taken as gospel.
OK. Cleveland gets a bed rap because of public perception plus a lot of people haven't let go of the past. Also, the Mike Polk YouTube videos have played a factor in the perception as well. You wouldn't see those type of videos made about NY, Boston, L.A. or Chicago; if they did those people in those cities would be mad because they're used to being the top dog. But, they're quick to say Clevelanders are sensitive and should have tougher skin. Hell, we've had tougher skin for over the last 50 years. A certain group doesn't want Cleveland to have anything the RNC, LeBron, NBA Championship; don't even want us to have a headache. LOL!

I agree that public perception shouldn't be taken as truth. But, a lot of the public's perception of Cleveland is shaped from the national media as well as comedians, celebs. pro athletes and Cleveland ex-pats. And, they had this negative of Cleveland for years. I'm curious, what's the perception of Cleveland to the people in New Mexico, where you currently live?

Last edited by QCongress83216; 09-11-2017 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 09:11 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,947,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Man, you really seem to despise 76 million people. I'm sure each and every one of them is exactly the same. Just like every generation.

You do realize that people move largely based on economics. A lot more people want to live in the city than can actually afford to do so, so they are stuck with suburban- and less expensive- options. It has nothing to do with desire.

Also, why is it self-centered to not want to get married or have kids?

Sensitive about what? The suggestion was the Millennials are choosing bland cities, sort of a resentment on why they're not picking Cleveland. A "why don't they know what's good for them" sentiment. I just disagree with that attitude, and I have no doubt that Amazon is looking for a city that is attractive to them.
I don't despise millennials, they're just generally boring. Remember, they are generally the product of American suburbia.

It's funny you accuse me of thinking they're all the same and then speak for and decide that they opt to stay in the suburbs because they can't afford the city. Millennials are choosing bland cities because they created bland cities.

Not getting married and having kids; think of that as akin to when a millennial opts to leave the suburbs, and decides to move to, say, Mexico City, and gloats about how cheap it is to live there so he or she can have all the advantages in a poverty stricken 3rd world country. That kind of self-centeredness.

Millennials are generally tagged as self-centered, spoiled, and can't hear ''no'' and have to have their way. Increasing rates of no marriage and kids, as well as the current post-election ''trauma'' are evidence of these descriptions.

The Millennials will turn CLE into a bland city, and if fact, already are. The ''why don't they know what's good for them'' comment is off the wall.

Of course, Amazon has to cater to Millennials.

I don't know where you're coming from.

Last edited by Kamms; 09-11-2017 at 09:55 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
OK. Cleveland gets a bed rap because of public perception plus a lot of people haven't let go of the past. Also, the Mike Polk YouTube videos have played a factor in the perception as well. You wouldn't see those type of videos made about NY, Boston, L.A. or Chicago; if they did those people in those cities would be mad because they're used to being the top dog. But, they're quick to say Clevelanders are sensitive and should have tougher skin. Hell, we've had tougher skin for over the last 50 years. A certain group doesn't want Cleveland to have anything the RNC, LeBron, NBA Championship; don't even want us to have a headache. LOL!

I agree that public perception shouldn't be taken as truth. But, a lot of the public's perception of Cleveland is shaped from the national media as well as comedians, celebs. pro athletes and Cleveland ex-pats. And, they had this negative of Cleveland for years. I'm curious, what's the perception of Cleveland to the people in New Mexico?
Double check that, poster lives in Mexico City, Mexico.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,138 times
Quote:
Double check that, poster lives in Mexico City, Mexico.
Yes I'm aware of that. I was asking how the poster how do they perceive Cleveland out there.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Yes I'm aware of that. I was asking how the poster how do they perceive Cleveland out there.
It's just that you wrote New Mexico.

I would give my crystal ball answer from our friend in Mexico City but that don't want to do that...

Bet a lot of people know LeBron James there.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I don't despise millennials, they're just generally boring. Remember, they are generally the product of American suburbia.

It's funny you accuse me of thinking they're all the same and then speak for and decide that they opt to stay in the suburbs because they can't afford the city. Millennials are choosing bland cities because they created bland cities.

Not getting married and having kids; think of that as akin to when a millennial opts to leave the suburbs, and decides to move to, say, Mexico City, and gloats about how cheap it is to live there so he or she can have all the advantages in a poverty stricken 3rd world country. That kind of self-centeredness.

Millennials are generally tagged as self-centered, spoiled, and can't hear ''no'' and have to have their way. Increasing rates of no marriage and kids, as well as the current post-election ''trauma'' are evidence of these descriptions.

The Millennials will turn CLE into a bland city, and if fact, already are. The ''why don't they know what's good for them'' comment is off the wall.

Of course, Amazon has to cater to Millennials.

I don't know where you're coming from.

You just sound like every old person who couldn't understand a younger generation and didn't want to. The idea that you have to get married, have kids and live in the suburbs or otherwise you are a self-centered brat is some real 1950s thinking. I'm not even a Millennial and I find that completely boring. It's okay, join us here in 2017.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Honestly, the topic of their feelings on Cleveland don't come up. In casual conversations, if I talk about Ohio, I talk about Columbus because that's where I'm from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland